Question PC posts with weaker GPU, but not with powerful GPU and with a twist?

Apr 16, 2023
1. So I upgraded my old pc and reused some componenents, my new pc posts with a GT 310 consistently compared to my GTX 1050, what happens if I post with my 1050 is that all fans would spin then stop immediately, I would have to turn off and on the power supply to do it again. The twist is, I CAN make the new PC post with the GTX 1050 but I have to reseat the card multiple times for it to boot, and when it does boot up, it can handle everything on 100% load perfectly which I'm confused as to how as I suspect it's the power supply to blame.
2. Now, before you blame the GTX 1050, I was able to consistently make the GTX 1050 post with the OLD pc everytime and again, it can handle 100% load if it did manage to post with the NEW pc.
3. The new components aren't to blame either, I was able to boot to windows with the GT 310 and use it no problem. Although, I thing I noticed when booting up with the GT 310, is that my computer peripherals would literally not work right off the bat because it's not receiving power, or it would on and off (I also experience this when I do manage to post with the GTX 1050).

P.S.: I hear weird noises, idk if this coil whine but for sure, noises from the PSU when it does manage to post with the NEW pc with the GTX 1050 (I can't hear this with the OLD pc tho)

NEW:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (new)
CPU cooler: stock
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Pro II (new)
Ram: Hyperx Beast 8x2 3200 MHz (new)
SSD/HDD: Crucial P2 1TB NVMe (new) and Patriot Burst 240 GB (old)
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050 (2nd hand)
PSU: 600 W Coolmax ZX-600 80+ (reused)
Chassis: reused

Monitor: Generic Dell 60Hz monitor

OLD:
CPU: Intel i5-650
CPU cooler: stock
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C2KJT (based from msinfo32)
Ram: 16GB 4x4 1333 MHz
SSD/HDD: Patriot Burst 240 GB
GPU: GTX 1050 (came with a GT 310 but replaced it with this)
PSU: 600 W Coolmax ZX-600 80+
Chassis: reused
Monitor: Generic Dell 60 Hz monitor

Other things I've done: Reset CMOS, all sorts of RAM configurations, checked and reseated all cables so many times, bypassed front panel power button, posting with no drives installed.

MY QUESTION: Is the power supply to blame here? I don't have any spare parts to confirm this, but from all the experimenting I've done, I would highly believe it's the power supply. Also, got any more suggestions or recommendations in order to further confirm this or even pinpoint to another component?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While it's hard to pinpoint for sure that this particular problem is the PSU, transferring this old junk PSU to a new system had absolutely zero justification. Since this PSU, a cheaply made, group-regulated, fake 600W PSU, that was likely made 15 years ago given its claimed ATX version compliance, should have been replaced under any and all circumstances, replacing it with something of actual quality is the obvious next step to take, and then a re-evaluation of the problem.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

this feels like a psu problem.

and even if the power supply is not to blame. It is best to buy a new one of decent brand for the safety of other components.

trying to save money by using or re-using a cheap power supply will only cost you more money down the road, because the cheap psu will destroy your pc when it kicks the bucket.

when I got a second hand pc, the very first thing I replaced is the old psu. Then I followed up with a new gpu once everything is stable. Did not have any problems since then.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it's the psu as far as wattage goes. While as said, it's 15yr old junk (sorry), there's no real draw on it, it being a 65-75w card. Your whole pc maxed out is pulling @ 230w or less, probably closer to 150-180w when doing anything, so even that anemic pos psu can handle that much.

It could be the psu because of tolerances. You are looking at a 15-20 year old design that was uber cheap at its inception, and likely has voltage variences in ripple well out of the range of stability for modern equipment. It's like trying to run a fine-tuned Lamborghini on the cheapest pump gas that's got a ton of water in it. It's going to run like ####.

Coil whine is always present, it's inherent to Any inductor, psu, gpu or even motherboard, it's just that sometimes at specific frequencies a harmonic will actually be within the range of human hearing. It's harmless.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is that just the one psu used to test things between the two systems?

3yr warranty for a psu speaks of quality concerns, it's not a true 600w btw. 480w on 12v line. 480w is plenty for that system though, still i would be concerned and change out the psu for something better with at least 7yr warranty, preferably 10yrs (ie Corsair rmx series).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I doubt it's the psu as far as wattage goes. While as said, it's 15yr old junk (sorry), there's no real draw on it, it being a 65-75w card. Your whole pc maxed out is pulling @ 230w or less, probably closer to 150-180w when doing anything, so even that anemic pos psu can handle that much.

It could be the psu because of tolerances. You are looking at a 15-20 year old design that was uber cheap at its inception, and likely has voltage variences in ripple well out of the range of stability for modern equipment. It's like trying to run a fine-tuned Lamborghini on the cheapest pump gas that's got a ton of water in it. It's going to run like ####.

Coil whine is always present, it's inherent to Any inductor, psu, gpu or even motherboard, it's just that sometimes at specific frequencies a harmonic will actually be within the range of human hearing. It's harmless.

I definitely got extra-frightened when I saw that the PSU brags about being ATX 2.2 compliant. 2.3 came out in *2007*.

Apr 16, 2023

So in terms of wattage, because the ~230W draw of my new PC compared to the supposed 600W capability is the likely reason on why it is able to handle it at full load, in TERMS OF WATTAGE. But do you also think it could be because of this ancient design from god knows how long that is preventing the system to post consistently? (like the thing you mentioned about tolerances and varianes in ripple) If not, then what other component do you suspect?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So in terms of wattage, because the ~230W draw of my new PC compared to the supposed 600W capability is the likely reason on why it is able to handle it at full load, in TERMS OF WATTAGE. But do you also think it could be because of this ancient design from god knows how long that is preventing the system to post consistently? (like the thing you mentioned about tolerances and varianes in ripple) If not, then what other component do you suspect?
Going back to Karadjgne's analogy, I'd first make sure my Lamborghini was running on actual gas rather than some mystery liquid I found in a rusty can in the alley behind a brothel. Only then would I then worry about other possible issues.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To get a little technical, so you'd better understand the gravity of what ppl are saying, ACv is a sinewave, Alternating Current, it goes up and down and generally has a frequency of 50 or 60 cycles per second. DCv is a straight line, no varience, no frequency, just straight up power like a battery.

A psu has but 1 job, to convert the 120v/240v from your wall into 12vDC and a couple other DCv. It'll do that by taking just the peaks of the ACv curves, so the DCv line under a microscope would have tiny little ripples. With good psus, those tiny ripples are far less than 50mv, but atx 2.2 standards (February 2004) require anything less than 120mv.

At 120mv or anything close, the DCv isn't even close to a nice thin straight line, it's buzzing like a jackhammer hitting every component from the cpu, VRM's, memory, gpu etc. The power isn't running through the pc like a razor sharp knife, it's more like a half dull wood blade Sawzall.