[SOLVED] PC powercycling (constantly turning on and off), what software or process can i use to diagnose the problem??

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
So basically my pc was working fine last night. But today when i turned it on the PC started to constantly turn on and off forever, with no display showing. i checked the power cables they were all good. i reseated the rams and then turned on the pc, it still power cycled for 30 seconds until it finally turned on normally. since it power cycled before starting i am worried that the next time i start my pc the problem may persist forever just as before and cause permanent damage. I know there are soo many causes of this issue. Fortunately, my pc is on right now i cannot waste this chance to pinpoint the exact issue. Which software or tool can i use to do that? Appreciate the help.

Solution
There are two main causes for PCs failing to reliably turn on:
1- defective/dying/weak/overheating/etc. PSU unable to provide sufficiently stable power at boot
2- hardware running into a fatal error during boot and triggering a system reset, which can itself be triggered by a flaky PSU

I've had a couple of generic brand PSUs fail on me in the past and unreliable boot behavior was always the first tell-tale symptom.

InvalidError

Titan
There are two main causes for PCs failing to reliably turn on:
1- defective/dying/weak/overheating/etc. PSU unable to provide sufficiently stable power at boot
2- hardware running into a fatal error during boot and triggering a system reset, which can itself be triggered by a flaky PSU

I've had a couple of generic brand PSUs fail on me in the past and unreliable boot behavior was always the first tell-tale symptom.

Solution