Question PC powers on when psu is plugged in at an angle

May 27, 2019
My mate has built a pc for his son. For some reason we are only able to get power to the fans when the psu power is plugged into the mother board at an angle. We have tried changing most parts for known working parts. Motherboard, ram, case, psu, power lead. Always get the same result, when you don't put the psu power in all the way it gets a bit of power, plug it in all the way and the power cuts out. I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas?

May 27, 2019
I'm not at his anymore so I can't take a picture. But basically if
Spec from memory
h110m-s2h
I3 6100
Patriot ddr4 2 x 4gb 2400mhz
Master cooler 500w
gtx 1050 2gb

Also tried with corsair vs650. His corsair 8gb ram cant remember exact. And another motherboard of the same type.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
And you said you tried BOTH another motherboard and a power supply? I mean that's pretty odd, it's either the board or PSU.

How did you even find that it works like this?

Did you make sure to connect all the other power connectors? For the CPU, VGA and such. Did you try without the dedicated VGA? (I'm not sure if the CPU has integrated graphics but I assume so...)

g-unit1111

Titan
And you said you tried BOTH another motherboard and a power supply? I mean that's pretty odd, it's either the board or PSU.

How did you even find that it works like this?

Did you make sure to connect all the other power connectors? For the CPU, VGA and such. Did you try without the dedicated VGA? (I'm not sure if the CPU has integrated graphics but I assume so...)

The i3-6100 has an integrated GPU. But the look of that PSU cable not fitting into the motherboard is another issue entirely. Those Cooler Master PSUs are not the best, but if the alternative isn't great either then it's entirely possible that something could have got bent / broken. I would check the entire PC for any instances of that happening.

May 27, 2019
Thanks fpr the replies guys. My mate has come back to me. Hes was a bit vague but he said something about going through all the connections inside the 24 pin and he managed to get it working. I can only imagine that the motherboard side of the connection was knocking one of the 24 pin out and then losing all power. I dont know. I knkw where stuff goes and what does what but im not an expert. Thanks for the help and suggestions.