Question Pc randomly rebooting.

Oct 23, 2020
For a few weeks now my pc seems to, with seemingly no pattern, reboot reboot itself. Whenever this happens, my partner's ping also seems to spike(to the 600-100ms

My pc is:

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: GTX 980 Strix
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM750 (if I remember right)
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 120gb (Windows is installed here)
OS: Windows 10 pro (updated last week, but this issue has been happening for longer so assuming it's not an os problem)

Like I said above, the reboots seem to be random, and as far as I know are completely unrelated to temperature/overheating.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is happening, and if it's a component that's dying, help me track it down so I can replace it.

Thank you all very much in advance ^^

Can be a few things. A few months ago a guy had a failed Z87 motherboard where I live. He liked overclocking for sure. How can you check if your motherboard is the issue? Uh, well, how am I supposed to tell you to try a cheapo H81 motherboard, when it's a headache, some money spent and it's not 100% sure it's the reason.

If you have any overclocks, remove them. Reseat ram, reorder it, check PSU (for me e.g. they made simple basic tests with even no money given, though for a test of PSU with the total system checkup they would tax me), reset bios with both CMOS and jumper, update bios if not already done to last version, try if underclocks/undervoltages help to stop this, at least; try if system can run normally if on minimal set of things (ram, mobo, cpu, psu) and if adding other things one by one (ssd -> hdd -> the other stick of 4 GB ram -> gpu, also different combinations and sequences), and etc things also can be tried. let's mention that system can be turned on with a screwdriver instead of the usual turn on-restart-led-lights-little connector cable on the front panel on the mobo, on the two pins that are for turning on; the cable (mb?) can do problems.
Let's hope that we aren't talking about another motherboard in path to the electronic scrap's agencies. Actually giving the mobo/system to someone qualified around there should be a cheaper thing than a mobo to try, though the invest 'd not return (resell) like the used mobo.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
Hey, thanks so much for the help. I don't really have any overclocks, but I'll try to test what I can.

Any idea why my pc shutting down would affect a different pc though?

Oct 23, 2020
It's not necessarily a game. The internet itself, just dies for a bit. Yesterday we were streaming a show onto a tv that's not connected to the same socket, and my pc shutdown, and at the exact same time the show started buffering, and did so for a good minute.

TRENDING THREADS