camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
In the last few months my PC has started to randomly shut off and restart. This started after water was spilt on the PC and bricked the MOBO. I bought a new one and installed it along with windows 11. Then a few weeks later it started. Its essentially like someone is just cutting the power completely off. It may go a week or so without happening. Then other times it may happen numerous times in a single day. This has happened when sitting on the desktop, browsing the internet, or gaming. I can't pin down the cause at all. Right now I believe the likely cause is either GPU, PSU, or an issue with Windows. A few weeks after it started I also got a BSOD once. I checked the dmp file and found it was a GPU driver issue. I used DDU in safemode to uninstall and then reinstalled the drivers. Recently I have noticed when it shuts off and it goes to restart it has failed a few times before successfully restarting(does not always happen). I have done memory test, drive tests, stress tests, scans to repair corrupt windows file, and other things that I honestly cannot remember now. I have not swapped out parts or reinstalled windows. I dont have parts to swap and really do not want to reinstall windows unless necessary. I figure I will start with reinstallation, then PSU, and finally GPU. However, I wanted to come to a forum first to see if someone else had any ideas.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CAMM13
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700KF, 3400 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. FH, 12/14/2023
SMBIOS Version 3.6
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.2506"
User Name Camm13\13045
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 21.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 33.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 21.1 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

GPU - 3080 TI Zotac Gaming AMP Holoblack
CPU Cooler - 360mm AIO Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix
PSU - Corsair RM1000x
Case - Lian Li O11 dynamic
RAM - 32 GB(2x16) G.SKILL Trident
NVMe - 2 TB WD_BLACK SN850X

Everything is like 2 or less years old.

Last edited:
I suggest a reinstall of Windows after wiping the drive clean - delete all partitions on the drive and then install. Be sure to save any data before doing this onto a separate drive. Then report back.

My opinion is something else is failing, something that got into contact with the liquid that was spilled.

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I suggest a reinstall of Windows after wiping the drive clean - delete all partitions on the drive and then install. Be sure to save any data before doing this onto a separate drive. Then report back.

My opinion is something else is failing, something that got into contact with the liquid that was spilled.
I did a fresh install of Windows 11. No issues thus far. If anything happens I will report back. Thanks!

Reactions: dingo07

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I did a fresh install of Windows 11. No issues thus far. If anything happens I will report back. Thanks!
Reporting back again and it just shut off and restarted. Definitely a hardware issue. I guess I'll start with a new PSU and then go from there.

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Reporting back in. Instead of replacing the power supply just yet I decided to just completely disassemble the PC and then put it all back together on the off chance something was causing it to short or have some issue. I even disassembled the GPU and cleaned it top to bottom with 91% iso. My belief for something shorting the system was because at times the PC would not auto restart but if I wiggled the pc it would then start back up. When putting the MOBO back in I also used all 9 screws this time where as before I had like 3 or 4 holding it in place. Not sure if that would make a difference as I have always done this on personal PCs I have built. Its only been a few hours but I have ran some stress tests with cinebench, prime95, and Unigine Superposition. I also played some games, watched YouTube, and so far no issues. However, I do feel like this is what normally happens. I try a few things and I think its back to normal and then BAM it happens again. I'll keep using the PC and report back later with a new update.