Mobo - gigabyte b560 ds3h
GPU - nvidia rtx 3070ti FE
CPU - Intel Core i5 11400
CPU cooler - veetro v5
RAM - 16 gb 2 stick silcon power
SSD - Kingston about 200gb
HDD - 1TB
PSU - EVGA 710 BP 710w

My PC has been crashing only when I play video games (specifically CSGO which isn’t very GPU heavy game) somehow it looks like it’s being overloaded and I just get a freeze screen with loud buzzing sound.

Things I’ve tried:
  1. Tested memory, everything passed a couple of times
  2. Tested GPU, everything works as it should
  3. Tested CPU, everything looks good
  4. Got a new PSU (upgrade from EVGA 500 to 710)
  5. Uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers
  6. Flashed my bios
  7. Ran System File Checker and nothing came up.

When I run the event viewer/error log, I see that everytime the computer reboots it counts as a critical error due to “kernel-power Event 41 (63)”, I’m not really sure what to make of that, but I currently run windows 11, not sure if that causes any issues but everything is updated for windows.

I’m running out of ideas and would love to get some help!

Ralston18

Titan
More needs to be learned.

Agree with @NightHawkRMX - would not expect the PSU to be the issue.

My thought is that something may be a bit loose and intermittently looses connectivity and thus power.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browning or blackening anywhere, pinched or kinked wires, loose or missing screws.

Damaged fan blades, loose housings, anything amiss at all.

= = = =

Take another look in Event Viewer and Reliability History.

If there is a pattern of increasing numbers of errors and perhaps varying errors then the PSU would remain a suspect.

Hi all, my specs:
CPU cooler - veetro v5
HDD - 1TB
PSU - EVGA 710 BP 710w

My PC has been crashing only when I play video games (specifically CSGO which isn’t very GPU heavy game) somehow it looks like it’s being overloaded and I just get a freeze screen with loud buzzing sound.

Things I’ve tried:
  6. Flashed my bios
When I run the event viewer/error log, I see that everytime the computer reboots it counts as a critical error due to “kernel-power Event 41 (63)”, I’m not really sure what to make of that, but I currently run windows 11, not sure if that causes any issues but everything is updated for windows.

Remove the gpu and connect to the mobo.
Run your stuff.
Any diff?

Hi all, my specs:
CPU cooler - veetro v5
HDD - 1TB
PSU - EVGA 710 BP 710w

Things I’ve tried:
  6. Flashed my bios
When I run the event viewer/error log, I see that every time the computer reboots it counts as a critical error due to “kernel-power Event 41 (63)”, I’m not really sure what to make of that, but I currently run windows 11, not sure if that causes any issues but everything is updated for windows.

Hey there,

I'd be looking at your PSU. Whilst it's new, it's already short in terms of recommended PSU for your GPU. Recommended PSU for RTX3070ti is 750w. Not only that, the higher end RTX GPU's like the 3070ti/3080/ti all have super fast transient power spikes. Even on good quality Gold rated PSU's like Corsair RMx in some cases there can be issues. The power spikes are so big (between idle and load) and happen so quickly they often trip the overpower protections, and then your system reboots.

As has been pointed out your current PSU is on the low end. It doesn't use Jap capacitors (not good), and that's why the warranty of it is only 3 years. The PSU is not good enough to drive your system with the RTX., IMO.

You should consider a decent Gold unit. Your PSU is the heart of your very expensive system. Don't buy cheaper PSU's. for such a build.

Feb 4, 2022
More needs to be learned.

Agree with @NightHawkRMX - would not expect the PSU to be the issue.

My thought is that something may be a bit loose and intermittently looses connectivity and thus power.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browning or blackening anywhere, pinched or kinked wires, loose or missing screws.

Damaged fan blades, loose housings, anything amiss at all.

= = = =

Take another look in Event Viewer and Reliability History.

If there is a pattern of increasing numbers of errors and perhaps varying errors then the PSU would remain a suspect.

Thank you for all the advice! But one thing I noticed is that my PC ONLY crashes when playing games, even CS GO. Otherwise it doesn’t crash, so wouldn’t it rule out stuff like burns or lose screws on the motherboard? I’ve reseated the RAM in the same slots (2,4) along with the CPU and GPU. I have also stress tested all three to make sure they all work at full capacity and saw no errors. I’ll check again, but I feel like if any wires were loose, the computer would crash at complete random, not just while playing games like CS GO.

Regarding the PSU (which I got lots of feedback on). I understand 3070ti requires at least 750w, though in testing the GPU while playing cs go, it barely used any wattage, most of the time the fan isn’t even spinning because CS GO does not require much GPU power. So I’m probably using about 300-400w max while playing CSGO and getting the crash.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 4, 2022
Hey there,

I'd be looking at your PSU. Whilst it's new, it's already short in terms of recommended PSU for your GPU. Recommended PSU for RTX3070ti is 750w. Not only that, the higher end RTX GPU's like the 3070ti/3080/ti all have super fast transient power spikes. Even on good quality Gold rated PSU's like Corsair RMx in some cases there can be issues. The power spikes are so big (between idle and load) and happen so quickly they often trip the overpower protections, and then your system reboots.

As has been pointed out your current PSU is on the low end. It doesn't use Jap capacitors (not good), and that's why the warranty of it is only 3 years. The PSU is not good enough to drive your system with the RTX., IMO.

You should consider a decent Gold unit. Your PSU is the heart of your very expensive system. Don't buy cheaper PSU's. for such a build.

GPU power is barely being used while playing CS GO (time of crash) whole PC uses max 300-400 watts when the crash happens, I highly doubt it’s my PSU. Also, my PC used to work perfectly fine for a month after I built it with my old 500w EVGA PSU.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 4, 2022
Remove the gpu and connect to the mobo.
Run your stuff.
Any diff?
Crash usually happens when I play CS GO, never happened outside of video games. When I tried playing cs go with my integrated graphics it was very unplayable, but as long as I have tried it, I did not get crashes. But how could it be the GPU if I stress tested it multiple times for couple of hours and got no errors?

Ralston18

Titan
Could be some threshold condition. System works fine until some certain set of conditions occur and then the crashes. Looking for loose screws, wires, signs of damage etc. is just a matter of elimination. Easy to do and sort of falls into that "Is it plugged in" category....

Remember:

Take a look in Event Viewer and Reliability History.

If the crashes usually happen when you are playing CSGO then either Event Viewer or Reliability History may be capturing some error code or warning just prior to or at the time of the crash. Clicking any such events will provide more information about what happened. A specific code for example. Unfortunately that additional information may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History presents a time line format that should make it a bit easier to find any such crashes because you know when you were playing CSGO.

And unless the stress test fairly emulates CSGO game play I would not put much faith in the test.

To truly stress test a system would risk breaking the system and I doubt that any stress testing software pushes things to that level.....

Crash usually happens when I play CS GO, never happened outside of video games. When I tried playing cs go with my integrated graphics it was very unplayable, but as long as I have tried it, I did not get crashes. But how could it be the GPU if I stress tested it multiple times for couple of hours and got no errors?
Beats me.
If it crashes on multiple games try a different driver level.
If no help you will need to test a different psu and gpu.

Feb 4, 2022
Could be some threshold condition. System works fine until some certain set of conditions occur and then the crashes. Looking for loose screws, wires, signs of damage etc. is just a matter of elimination. Easy to do and sort of falls into that "Is it plugged in" category....

Remember:

Take a look in Event Viewer and Reliability History.

If the crashes usually happen when you are playing CSGO then either Event Viewer or Reliability History may be capturing some error code or warning just prior to or at the time of the crash. Clicking any such events will provide more information about what happened. A specific code for example. Unfortunately that additional information may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History presents a time line format that should make it a bit easier to find any such crashes because you know when you were playing CSGO.

And unless the stress test fairly emulates CSGO game play I would not put much faith in the test.

To truly stress test a system would risk breaking the system and I doubt that any stress testing software pushes things to that level.....

Thank you for your input! I’ll take a look and for loose wiring and will check out reliability history.
I did however mention the event viewer critical error in my original post, I get the following error: kernel-power Event 41 (63). Does that help with anything else?

GPU power is barely being used while playing CS GO (time of crash) whole PC uses max 300-400 watts when the crash happens, I highly doubt it’s my PSU. Also, my PC used to work perfectly fine for a month after I built it with my old 500w EVGA PSU.

Any other suggestions?
It's not so much about what power the PSU has, it's about the transient power spikes of the GPU. Also, PSU restart issues can happen randomly either at load (more often), but also at variable loads.

Feb 4, 2022
It's not so much about what power the PSU has, it's about the transient power spikes of the GPU. Also, PSU restart issues can happen randomly either at load (more often), but also at variable loads.
Interesting… I guess I’m confused because my PC doesn’t reboot at complete random, it mostly reboots while playing CSGO (which again, barely uses the GPU). Also, it wasn’t crashing at all a month into the PC build.
One thing I forgot to mention was, first time the crashes started was after I turned on my RAM XMP profile then I turned it off and it stopped for a while but then started crashing again.
Though I did test the RAM multiple times before and after and everything kept passing with no errors.

Feb 4, 2022
What if you disable XMP?
I did, that’s the issue it’s still crashing. Though I tested and reseated the sticks and still keeps crashing, so I kind of ruled the RAM out.
PSU just doesn’t make sense to me because my computer was running totally fine on 500w PSU but then started crashing, which is when I upgraded to 710 and it still kept crashing while playing CS GO which isn’t a very GPU heavy game.
Is it possible that the motherboard is faulty? My thought is that it’s not motherboard because otherwise my PC would crash at random regardless of game play if it was my motherboard.

I did, that’s the issue it’s still crashing. Though I tested and reseated the sticks and still keeps crashing, so I kind of ruled the RAM out.
PSU just doesn’t make sense to me because my computer was running totally fine on 500w PSU but then started crashing, which is when I upgraded to 710 and it still kept crashing while playing CS GO which isn’t a very GPU heavy game.
Is it possible that the motherboard is faulty? My thought is that it’s not motherboard because otherwise my PC would crash at random regardless of game play if it was my motherboard.

I'd agree with @Vic 40 , bring to local repair store and get them to swap out PSU to test. Prob costs about 20£$€ or so. Start ruling out the components one by one.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022

You haven't mentioned any other games so I'll ask. Does it crash only on CSGO? If so it's likely some issue with the game itself and not your PC.

Feb 4, 2022
You haven't mentioned any other games so I'll ask. Does it crash only on CSGO? If so it's likely some issue with the game itself and not your PC.
It crashes sometimes while playing warzone as well. I specifically mentioned CSGO because it’s such a light game that shouldn’t really cause any crashes.

Feb 4, 2022
Changed my PSU and tested with 850 gold. Still crashing.
Checked reliability history and getting livekernalevent 124 and 144.
Is there any way I can test my mobo for issues? Gigabyte b560m ds3h.