Sep 13, 2019
i upgraded my mb, cpu, gpu and aio cooler.
Older build:
cpu: i7 7700k 4.5ghz
gpu: gtx 1080 gaming oc gigabyte
mb: z170a Gaming m5 MSI
psu: CX750M corsair
aio: enermax liqmax 240
ram: corsair vengeance lpx 2666mhz 4x8gb ddr4
system was perfectly stable.
New system:
cpu: i7 9700k with or without oc the issue is the same (bought used)
gpu: rtx 2080 ti gaming oc gigabyte (bought used/flipped from an amazon warehouse deal)
mb: z390 aourus Pro non wifi version. latest bios. (bought used/new with no box and no accessories from ebay)
psu: same cx750m from corsair (5 years old)
ram: same, running memtest x64 right now, but in the past were fine
aio: h100i pro premium rgb
case: aerocool aero800

i played Atlas on steam for like 10 hours plus a day for the olidays, 4k 60fps medium/low settings, is not a very well optimized game and also stutters from loading structures etc..
after about two days of gaming on the new/upgraded machine i encountered the first shutdown/reset/reboot with no bsod, i initially taught about a power outage but lights in the room were still on, then i realized that also the pc was rebooting automatically. from that moment i ran in that issue every 3 to 5 hours of gaming, sometimes after the first resets the issue was presented in a shorter period of time, as low as 15 minutes from each reset. the cpu temps are 55 degrees under gaming load and 65 under heavy benchmark avx and such. gpu temps are about 80 to max of 87 degrees. i tried opening the side window and the temp of the gpu was 79 max but the issue was still there. mb temps are max 70 degrees on vr loop1 under normal loads and max 95 degrees when running powermax avx stress test for an hour. NEVER happened while stressing or benchmarking the components. only while playning ATLAS. i have other games to try, but i almost addicted to atlas, so it would be hard to drop my clan on discord to play other games for some days, but if you guys think the game could be the culprit i could. thinking exacly that i tried to check all my hdds and ssds and there was no bad sectors, i was playing on a 2tb hdd from maxtor via usb 3.0 (is fine in almost every game) since i had problems with mouse/keyboard disconnecting some times, i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it on an internal 1tb hdd. no different in performance and the issue is still there. one day i updated the gpu bios from f3 to f5 and i was convinced that the issue was fixed, than after 2 days it happened again... i really hope is not the gpu, i'm considering to replace the power supply to a seasonic focus+ 850w to have a little bit more room and to test if it's actually a psu problem, but really don't think so because there are no issues while stressing all components to max consumption... i'm really frustrated. I'm thinking to get a kraken g12 and a kraken x42 to liquid cool the 2080ti with vrm little heatsinks as well after i will buy the psu. i think i will also change the h100i fans to take the air out instead of in, turning from positive pressure to negative pressure... i really don't know what it could be... i read about similar problems, some people had problems with psus, some others with the 2080 ti specifically.... I really hope it's not the case. and other having problems with HD/power led +/- and reset pins having problems... I could try plugging off the resets pins... really desperate right now. please help.
i attach some hwinfo logs, some were during the crash sessions and some weren't i can't manage to find any unusual spikes... please check them out and suggest some other logs locations to find some data. usual windows dump are not created and no bsod is shown, also i disabled the reboot after a crash.
i also get normal game crashes from time to time but those are different. i noticed some stutters that are making the gpu load and watts drops down Idk if it's normal for a stutter to drop the current on the card or is the psu failing to provide power for a moment. the fact that the pc crashes without artifacting/hanging up or things like that make think it's not the gpu at fault but i really don't know if the issue was part of the 2080 tis in RMA at launch. thanks in advice. sorry for my bad English I'm Italian.
all my latest hwinfo logs

Last edited:
Solution
I wouldn't use a CX series PSU on a system with those components...specially a 5 year old unit.
I use that PSU series as a replacement or on mid to low end systems.
On a system with those components I would go with a Corsair RMx, TXM, AX, HX gold or RM.
SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold/Plus Platinum, or X series.
EVGA G1+ or GQ
Antec HCG Gold

The z390 aourus Pro requires a 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power connectors.
Does the Corsair CX has those cables?
I wouldn't use a CX series PSU on a system with those components...specially a 5 year old unit.
On a system with those components I would go with a Corsair RMx, TXM, AX, HX gold or RM.
EVGA G1+ or GQ
Antec HCG Gold

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 13, 2019

Ok... i'll buy the seasonic as soon as possible, the cx750m does not have the additional 4 pin power connector but i bought a molex adapter, is that ok? also i don't think it is needed for a bare bones overclock of an i7 but more like extreme needs of a i9 oc. thanks for the answer

Sep 13, 2019
EVGA G1+ or GQ
Antec HCG Gold

which is the best between
-seasonic focus plus gold 850w at 130.90 euros
-corsair tx850m gold 111.24 euros
-evga superNOVA gq 850w gold 134.59 euros

the seasonic seems the most complete

Ok... i'll buy the seasonic as soon as possible, the cx750m does not have the additional 4 pin power connector but i bought a molex adapter, is that ok? also i don't think it is needed for a bare bones overclock of an i7 but more like extreme needs of a i9 oc. thanks for the answer
I have the CX and it does not come with both cables because it isn't geared to that type of builds.
The Molex cable can deliver up to 8 Amps (many times even lless) and the 4-pin CPU 16 Amps. That wouldn't be an issues on a different lower end motherboard and CPU combination.

which is the best between
-seasonic focus plus gold 850w at 130.90 euros
-corsair tx850m gold 111.24 euros
-evga superNOVA gq 850w gold 134.59 euros

the seasonic seems the most complete

Of these units I would go with Seasonic or EVGA

Sep 13, 2019
I have the CX and it does not come with both cables because it isn't geared to that type of builds.
The Molex cable can deliver up to 8 Amps (many times even lless) and the 4-pin CPU 16 Amps. That wouldn't be an issues on a different lower end motherboard and CPU combination.

Of these units I would go with Seasonic or EVGA
so why under full loads with 99 degrees with prime 95 my i7 passes the test and the pc does not crash?

TRENDING THREADS