Question Pc restarts when running hard drive benchmark.

Nov 28, 2020
Hello, I recently built a new pc but it has been randomly restarting. No error codes or blue screen of deaths, it just restarts. After running some tests, my pc reboots when it idles for a while or when I run Defraggler's hard drive benchmark tool. I checked all of my PC's connections and cables but the problem persists. Has anyone encountered a problem like this or can offer any advice that can help?

*Edit: I've come to find that the problem was with one of my hard drives. I also started to look through my event viewer to see what's causing it.

*Edit 2: I think I fixed it, I caused the pc to crash again while monitoring my event viewer. I saw the reboot was caused because of a windows DistributedCOM error. I went into my registry and deleted a few entries and I changed permissions in another. It seems as if when I upgraded the pc one of my old hard drives does a security check. the failure of this security check caused my pc to reboot whenever the drive was activated because of the new pc components not matching up with the old.

*Edit 3: Had some more (less frequent) random reboots decided to look into the bios and turned on dummy load for the PSU. It did not help.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020
specs please

CPU:AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080
MOBO: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
RAM: G Skill 3600mhz cl 16 32GB
PSU: Corsair 850watt 80+ gold
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer 360mm aio
Hard drives: samsung 850 evo, samsung 980 pro, western digital black hdd

Last edited: