PC Says to Mac: Yeah, well, I'm CHEAP!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Agree, 100%. That's why I'm loving this Psystar case. Depsite the fact that I think the company is full of it, they're actually holding their own in a lawsuit with Apple. Nearly a year now! I'm also digging the German company that says because the EULA is sealed inside (meaning you can't see it before you buy it) it's void. That said, I'm no lawyer so I don't know if that will fly in court.[/citation]
Personally, I just dont see the point. It seems like it'd be a whole lot more productive to use Linux. I know OSX is for a different crowd, but either way, it's just another unix variant. Their hardware is their best value, IMO, despite it funding their bazillion dollar ad sprees.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Here is the exact computer she bought at the price she bought it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166635&type=product&id=1218041148373
Turion 2.1Ghz Dual Core
ATI 780M chipset (HD 3200, same as 780G)
4GB DDR2
320GB HDD
17" screen (1440x900)

Not exactly a 2.5Ghz C2D & 9600M GT (mobile version of underclocked 9500GT), but certainly in the same bracket as far as capabilities go. And honestly how many Tom, Dick and Harry computer users need the extra graphical (~2x) and computational power (~30%) for 4x the price ($2800 vs. $700)?

G

This is like going into a Toyota or Honda dealership and saying you want a car with a 6 cylinder engine for less than $15K. Do they sell one? Nope. But Kia and Suziki probably do.

Her 17 inch screen was the most important criteria and she got it. What's the big deal? Sure, the resolution was crap and the thing was 2 inches thick and it weighed close to 9 pounds. She got 17 inch notebook for under $1000. Be happy for her.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]If apple puts OSX on the PC it will loose its edge. why do you think macOS is a top OS in the first place? because apple has it running on specific HARDWARE!!! if they release it to PC's it going be be one big unstable mess because then they will also have to deal with low quality hardware and drivers[/citation]

I fully agree with you. I feel Microsoft is at a disadvantage because the average user doesn't understand the hardware side of the OS.

[citation][nom]bone squat[/nom]I run a $500 laptop from HP a DV6810US. It runs Vista perfectly. I can use the aero interface with very minor lag so no big deal and I dont even like it anyways. Although I don't like vista much it works pretty well. XP Pro is preferred. Macs are too expensive for what you get. They make you look like an arrogant douche. I hate people that own Macs and have hard ons for them. I have 0 respect for someone that prefers Macs. I believe they're idiot hippies with absolutley no logicical mindset. All you Apple retards are fools. If you like wasting your money be my guest it just means you're a handicapped dolt.[/citation]

I see your point, but there are some people that need the Mac OSX for what they do. But the ones you see at your local coffee shop are the fools you are talking about.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Personally, I just dont see the point. It seems like it'd be a whole lot more productive to use Linux. I know OSX is for a different crowd, but either way, it's just another unix variant. Their hardware is their best value, IMO, despite it funding their bazillion dollar ad sprees.[/citation]

I don't agree with Apple locking its OS to just own-brand hardware. I'd like to see things opened up a bit. I run both OSX and XP (bootcamp) and I like both. I just think it's lame I couldn't legally do that on anything but an Apple machine.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Sure, the resolution was crap and the thing was 2 inches thick and it weighed close to 9 pounds.
I can't argue with the resolution comment, but the HP weighs 7.8 lbs, MBP 17" is 6.8 lbs. Is 1 lb (13%) lighter that big of a difference? And the thickness is 1.7" vs. 1.0", importance is probably also determined by the user/consumer.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Why buy a Mac? they have basically the same components in them
as a regular PC now. They have an Intel CPU a Seagate Hard Drive
and so on. They get Viruses just as easy now and you have to buy
an extended warrenty in case something goes wrong because it's a complete mess inside that small congested monitor, most people would
have a blackout if they opened it up. They don't last any longer, I
don't get it, such a waste. The operating software isn't any more
stable, it does look a bit fancyer, but seriously is that really worth
the extra $600.00. Have we mentioned that alot of your top notch Games
aren't available on a MAC, so think twice before you make a mistake with a MAC.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I don't agree with Apple locking its OS to just own-brand hardware. I'd like to see things opened up a bit. I run both OSX and XP (bootcamp) and I like both. I just think it's lame I couldn't legally do that on anything but an Apple machine.[/citation]
Well, I do totally agree with that. Super anti-consumer of them.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Would you rather "build" your own blue jeans or would you go out and buy what ever pleases you and spend the money. Of curse some of you are quite capable and happy and also could live with a tool for the job, but it is not a battle of the golden blue jean state, or PC. What car do you drive, what food do you eat, etc... Do you always pay the lowest price for everything?... Not everyone uses the tools for the same reason at the same time and circumstances. More options for every need is better for all of us[/citation]

Jeans = $20. Car = $2000-$40,000-as high as you want to go. Computer = $1000-$2000 or so. Your scales are a little different. Here is the rub. Economies of scale in manufacturing, production, supplies make it very silly to make my own clothing. It can be a hobby, or it could be a specialized boutique kind of business. Apples on the other hand add nothing to the equation. Even though their economies of scale are vastly superior to my own as an individual, I can STILL build a better machine for less? Where is the extra cost coming from then? Like it has been said above, its the "experience," of a Mac. Well, I'm sorry but skiing Mount Tremblant in Canada is a $700 experience (4 day stay). Going out to a high class dinner and a show in downtown New York for $700 is an experience. Bonnaroo is an experience. A pretty box around my hardware and a complete lack of control over my system is also an "experience" - one I would gladly PAY to avoid, let alone pay FOR. Simple as that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I refuse to support Apple because they are not an ethical company. All of the discussion about price vs performance mean nothing to me.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Someone in marketing at MS finally woke up and pointed out the obvious, Apples cost more for the same hardware. I haven’t seen the ad, did they say cheaper or imply better value?
Apple is a boutique experience product for look at me too people who want form and are willing to pay more for their "experience". I know some buy solely for the OS. The typical Apple consumer will pay more than the going market price for ram, hdd, etc..., because it’s an Apple. In general, most people DO NOT upgrade hardware themselves, particularly laptops, they buy it off the shelf however it’s configured and when it no longer meets their needs they buy a new one. This bodes well for Apples model. Apple has far fewer hardware choices and you just can't install the latest GPU without a major hassle, if at all. It saves them time and money in support because they are a sharply focused hardware/software product with few options. By doing this, Apple can refine the drivers for a more “bug free” environment which is why Apple does this and markets this point heavily. It's what separates them from the amazingly flexible MS, yes amazing when you consider it works with nearly every component on the market, even those with crappy drivers that cause crashes. MS is a jack of all trades and you pay a small price for the flexibility. Both models are profitable, Apple has lower volume but higher price/profit margin with a coddling boutique experience, MS/PC through flexibility/volume and cost based on market price and coddling is available from some vendors for a price.
I offered to buy a MAC for my kids and they didn't want one, they use them at school (osx) and don't like them. Their first computer experience was at school on MACs.
I prefer to build my own so I’m tied to pc. I choose not to play with the OS so I don’t use Linux, I have dabbled but it’s not my thing, kudos to those who do.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

what is this "mac experience" this dude is preaching?

you have a messed up comparison as well. a high-class dinner is unique each time you dine. whereas any basic productivity task can be done the same way on a mac as you do on a pc. point and click, point and click.

name a task a mac can do that a PC cant, none. now name a task a pc can do that a mac cant?

just face it, mac hardware is inferior compared to the pc. macs are just a fashion statement.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]i read this, and i said well i really don't like the fight, let me check what he said and went into apple store assembled and mac book 13" aluminum this are the spec.. ..[/citation]

Hi aracheb -

You wrote in your post the MacBook Air doesn't come with a warranty. This is wrong. It comes with a 1 year warranty. You did not have to attach the Apple Care to inflate its price anymore than it's already priced.

Anyway, guys, some of you are saying that our editors receive swag and gifts from companies. Every time we write about Macs, people say "you guys get paid by Apple." No. We don't. We don't receive ANYTHING from Apple as a matter of fact. Apple doesn't even send us review units.

As a matter of fact, anytime someone doesn't like what we say about a particular company, they accuse us of getting paid off.

For the record, we don't, receive gifts, or money, from ANY company. Period. To some of you guys, please stop making these accusations. Most of you guys are great, and I always like a good comment--hence my Question of the Day series. But commenters are just down right nasty and are really just fuming over something that doesn't exist.

We don't receive incentives for articles. One minute, I'm calling Intel out, the next, I'm calling out AMD, and so forth and so forth. We report what's good and what's bad that's happening out there.

Furthermore, if any one at our company took pay of gifts to say something good about a company, they would be terminated.

/ Tuan

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I just bought a dual core Toshiba 2.16GHZ with 3GB of ram and 250GB HD, X4500 integrated video card for $449 with no tax. $449 wouldn't get me the freaking charger for a Macbook. I hate how these hippie dippy Apple freaks think they're so much cooler and better than the rest of us because they own Apples. The hardware's identical.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Hi aracheb -You wrote in your post the MacBook Air doesn't come with a warranty. This is wrong. It comes with a 1 year warranty. You did not have to attach the Apple Care to inflate its price anymore than it's already priced.Anyway, guys, some of you are saying that our editors receive swag and gifts from companies. Every time we write about Macs, people say "you guys get paid by Apple." No. We don't. We don't receive ANYTHING from Apple as a matter of fact. Apple doesn't even send us review units.As a matter of fact, anytime someone doesn't like what we say about a particular company, they accuse us of getting paid off. For the record, we don't, receive gifts, or money, from ANY company. Period. To some of you guys, please stop making these accusations. Most of you guys are great, and I always like a good comment--hence my Question of the Day series. But commenters are just down right nasty and are really just fuming over something that doesn't exist.We don't receive incentives for articles. One minute, I'm calling Intel out, the next, I'm calling out AMD, and so forth and so forth. We report what's good and what's bad that's happening out there.Furthermore, if any one at our company took pay of gifts to say something good about a company, they would be terminated./ Tuan[/citation]

I must have missed something. I didn't see any of those types of comments on this discussion.

Ndogg012

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]i would buy pc simply cause the mouse have more than one button. and the apple tax.[/citation]
Macs have more than 2 buttons, they have a right click as well as a left click. Last time i checked you don't HAVE to have the mouse that comes with the Mac anyways. Logitech for example makes a couple Mice for Mac's.

G

regardless of the mac v pc debate, that ad kicks ass over those stupid seinfeld ads.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]superbarfer[/nom]regardless of the mac v pc debate, that ad kicks ass over those stupid seinfeld ads.[/citation]

For sure. No one could even begin to interpret those and Jerry Seinfeld owned a Mac in the show.

G

"Macs are too expensive for what you get. They make you look like an arrogant douche. I hate people that own Macs and have hard ons for them. I have 0 respect for someone that prefers Macs. I believe they're idiot hippies with absolutley no logicical mindset. All you Apple retards are fools. If you like wasting your money be my guest it just means you're a handicapped dolt."

Priceless!!! I couldn't say it any better!

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Apple can QQ all they want, they only hold about 8% of the market share. Because they're too expensive for the mainstream market.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
apple got their foot in the door with the ipod... now its running rampant with their computer line.

but, they make a program on osx for those who want to run windows, wonder why they don't do the same for windows users?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I agree, Microsoft really doesn't need to give a shit about Macs anymore. There big products, Windows and Office are sold with macs anyway. They should have an ad campaign against Linux and in the server market.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Hi aracheb -You wrote in your post the MacBook Air doesn't come with a warranty. This is wrong. It comes with a 1 year warranty. You did not have to attach the Apple Care to inflate its price anymore than it's already priced.Anyway, guys, some of you are saying that our editors receive swag and gifts from companies. Every time we write about Macs, people say "you guys get paid by Apple." No. We don't. We don't receive ANYTHING from Apple as a matter of fact. Apple doesn't even send us review units.As a matter of fact, anytime someone doesn't like what we say about a particular company, they accuse us of getting paid off. For the record, we don't, receive gifts, or money, from ANY company. Period. To some of you guys, please stop making these accusations. Most of you guys are great, and I always like a good comment--hence my Question of the Day series. But commenters are just down right nasty and are really just fuming over something that doesn't exist.We don't receive incentives for articles. One minute, I'm calling Intel out, the next, I'm calling out AMD, and so forth and so forth. We report what's good and what's bad that's happening out there.Furthermore, if any one at our company took pay of gifts to say something good about a company, they would be terminated./ Tuan[/citation]

ok
i took out the applecare
and as a fact i found the exact same computer... in apple..
even the same video card, 9400m nvidia..
what means, that they should have, the same or very similar motherboard..
and the same cpu, and memory..

i was wrong i said that i will cost me around 200 for 400 mghz more..

from core 2 duo 2.00 to 2.4
i'll cost me around 599 more.

i took out the apple care,
and i added the apple mini display to dvi. since all the windows laptop come with either vga or dvi port this will make it a just competition..

look what came out...
both have the exact same hardware.. the only different is the case and the os.

MacBook, 13-inch, Aluminum
Part Number: Z0FV
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Accessory kit

Cart Subtotal: $1,803.00
Free Shipping: $0.00
Estimated Tax*: $151.00

Estimated Total: $1,954.00

I liked the way the commercial ends. She got what she wanted for alot less and didn't have to double her budget just to get a Mac. Personally I dislike the user interface on the Mac, but that's just me. If I want something different from Windows I used KDE in linux ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.