PC Says to Mac: Yeah, well, I'm CHEAP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I just thought that it was weird they put Apple first. Like a Mac would automatically be everyone's first choice.[/citation]

It's called advertising. When do you see a company mention the competition last. If there is plenty of information in the ad the advertising company will always mention their product last. You may be confusing this ad with reality TV.

This site does spend alot of time on a company who boasted gains (in the PC market) of 2-3% over the past 2 years. This should be embarrasing for Apple since Vista had such a rocky start.

To... TH Your title says it all. You use the word cheap even though it is not mentioned in the ad. If Microsoft was the one paying you and sending you free swag, you may have used the word affordable.

I throw up in mouth a little everytime I read something here about Mac vs PC. I guess it's like slowing down for an accident. I still read every ad that mentions Mac.

If you want to know why..... It makes me feel superior because I own, build and prefer a PC with Microsoft software. I build systems that are far superior to anything in a Mac store for alot less money. If I didn't have the ability to build my system I would buy the best value for the dollar, just like the girl in the ad. You call it cheap, I call it smart.

I am not brand loyal or a fanboi by any means.

We we priced out laptops for all of the sales guys, we ended up with Dells. Once they were all decked out with software and everything, they came to $1100. The comparable mac was $2980. This was about a year ago.

The dells also had a faster processor and more memory.

I gave up a long time ago on educating Mac people. It's like walking down the street and seeing a kid pick up gum off the street and put it in their mouth. They just don't know any better. And the kid thinks I am the dumb one for not taking the free gum.

My post my offend a few Mac people..... just eat you gum. What are you doing on a hardware site anyway?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Would you rather "build" your own blue jeans or would you go out and buy what ever pleases you and spend the money. Of curse some of you are quite capable and happy and also could live with a tool for the job, but it is not a battle of the golden blue jean state, or PC. What car do you drive, what food do you eat, etc... Do you always pay the lowest price for everything?... Not everyone uses the tools for the same reason at the same time and circumstances. More options for every need is better for all of us

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I just thought that it was weird they put Apple first. Like a Mac would automatically be everyone's first choice.[/citation]

It's called advertising. When do you see a company mention the competition last. If there is plenty of information in the ad the advertising company will always mention their product last. You may be confusing this ad with reality TV.

This site does spend a lot of time on a company who boasted gains (in the PC market) of 2-3% over the past 2 years. This should be embarrassing for Apple since Vista had such a rocky start.

To... TH Your title says it all. You use the word cheap even though it is not mentioned in the ad. If Microsoft was the one paying you and sending you free swag, you may have used the word affordable.

I throw up in mouth a little every time I read something here about Mac vs PC. I guess it's like slowing down for an accident. I still read every ad that mentions Mac.

If you want to know why..... It makes me feel superior because I own, build and prefer a PC with Microsoft software. I build systems that are far superior to anything in a Mac store for a lot less money. If I didn't have the ability to build my system I would buy the best value for the dollar, just like the girl in the ad. You call it cheap, I call it smart.

When we priced out laptops for all of the sales guys, we ended up with Dells. Once they were all decked out with software and everything, they came to $1100. The comparable Mac was $2980. This was about a year ago.

I gave up a long time ago on educating Mac people. It's like walking down the street and seeing a kid pick up gum off the street and put it in their mouth. They just don't know any better. And the kid thinks I am the dumb one for not taking the free gum.

My post my offend a few Mac people..... just eat you gum. What are you doing on a hardware site anyway?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I think the ad was a good one. Its honest and and not misleading and certainly shows you that with a Mac your really just paying a huge amount for the logo. There is honestly no way to justify the price difference. Thanks Jane for yet another good article I really enjoy reading your work.[/citation]

Thanks! It's the comments like this that make my day. :)

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

This site does spend a lot of time on a company who boasted gains (in the PC market) of 2-3% over the past 2 years. This should be embarrassing for Apple since Vista had such a rocky start.

I throw up in mouth a little every time I read something here about Mac vs PC. I guess it's like slowing down for an accident. I still read every ad that mentions Mac.

If you want to know why..... It makes me feel superior because I own, build and prefer a PC with Microsoft software. I build systems that are far superior to anything in a Mac store for a lot less money. If I didn't have the ability to build my system I would buy the best value for the dollar, just like the girl in the ad. You call it cheap, I call it smart.

When we priced out laptops for all of the sales guys, we ended up with Dells. Once they were all decked out with software and everything, they came to $1100. The comparable Mac was $2980. This was about a year ago.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
A lot of people mention that the Mac computers "look cool". Can we have a QOTD that asks "Are Macs really that cool?" I for one don't think glossy white with an apple on it is that cool.

eduardor2k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
If apple would sell his os to PC users, everybody would be happy.

PC users that whant to try MAC OS X
MAC user could still buy MAC OS X on an Apple computer.

It's a very effective ad. The part with her checking Mac first is probably sort of a honest appraisal, a girl like her might very well do that, follow the trend, but at least she isn't a fool and way overspends to be cool, which really isn't very cool, sort of the point of the ad I think.

Then again they show her checking Apple first but this does not necessarily imply a first choice.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]i read this, and i said well i really don't like the fight, let me check what he said and went into apple store assembled and mac book 13" aluminum this are the spec.. MacBook, 13-inch, AluminumPart Number: Z0FU2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpmSuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)Keyboard (English) / User's GuideApple Mini DisplayPort to DVI AdapterMini DisplayPort to VGA AdapterAppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air/MacBook : since it doesn't come with a default warranty, i have to buy the applecare myself. the price was: Cart Subtotal: $1,781.00Free Shipping: $0.00Estimated Tax*: $149.16 Estimated Total: $1,930.16them went to dell and assembled the dell: the dell studio xps 13: with almost the same spec, the only difference is that i have more HDD space with the dell and more CPU speed, to be exact 400 megahertz more that might cost me arround 200 usd in mac..this are the spec of the dellSYSTEM COLOR Obsidian Black with Leather Accent editPROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB) editOPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit editPRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 9.0 - English: Spreadsheet, Word Processor and Calendar editWARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis editHD DISPLAY Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD with 2.0 Megapixel Camera editMEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms) editHARD DRIVE 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive editINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) editVIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G editWIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini-Card editSOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 editBLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR) editand this is the price:Sub Total $1,119.00Shipping & Handling $29.00Shipping Discount -$29.00Tax $93.73State Environmental FeeMore Info --Total $1,212.73ummthe difference is: 718.00 usd in apple tax..i stick to my pc..[/citation]

Wait, since when doesn't Apple include a year's warranty? You've added the extra cost of three year's warranty to the Mac but not to the Dell. Take the base white MacBook - $999. If you add the specs that you did before, i.e. 4GB of RAM and 250GB hard drive (although you'd be a fool not to do these upgrades aftermarket) then the MacBook would be $1199. That's with the same level of warranty as you specced on the Dell. So pre-tax, the difference is greatly reduced. You've purposely chosen the more expensive MacBook model and have configured it in such a way that it is unreasonable to compare. When comparing laptops, you need to compare base spec models. No one in their right minds pays Apple or Dell for a hard drive or RAM upgrade. If you compare the models fairly then you'll see the difference isn't all that great. Yes Apple does charge more and yes they do charge more for the hell of design (i.e. aluminium MacBook vs white MacBook or Black MacBook vs White MacBook before). On the other hand, Apple sometimes even sell their stuff cheaper than the competitors. The original Mac Pro, as an example, sold for far cheaper than an equally specced Dell workstation did.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]FHDelux[/nom]Apple sells an experience, what they believe computing should be, if you buy an apple computer, it will run their OS of current well. You can easily go out and buy a PC that will barely run windows, Apple simply wont let you do that. I'm not saying either way is right, but, you can buy a 500 dollar PC that comes with Vista, how great of a user experience is that, its slow and painful? Once you get to a certain level 1,000 dollars or so, you get computers that are nicely built to run Vista, but that is a far cry from the 500 they start at.I remember a quote from a Sony exec i liked: "In the race to the low end, nobody wins". I think that holds just about as true to the PC market just as moores law does.Nobody should have to run Windows Vista on a 1.6Ghz dual core with 1GB of ram and no 3d card, seriously. But then again nobody should be forced to buy a $3k computer because it runs best on that setup.[/citation]

what you talking about, just google and read about all the people that complain that the mac mini is like slow, sluggish at running anything. there goes the experience. apple has been over charging since the first apple ii days. sure they had a winner, but atari, commodore were less expensive. never could buy an apple for #200, but i could buy a commodore 64 for that. both had same cpu, same amount of memory, 64k, both had a diskdrive, commodore one dirt cheap, the apple one was like 2x more. commodore has an even less expensive model the vic20. both ran the sam 6502 software, so nothing has changed apples are just overpriced. jobs is the only man that i've down that turned mega winners to a 10% market share. if they were so great, they were there since day one, one would expect tham to have 90% market share, but their hubris, greed, has kept them down to selling to newbies and snobbish rubbish, yeah you know who you are ;-)

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Microsoft knows that apple computers look awesome. Doesnt change their main point that they're just too dang expensive for anyone who decides to live within their means atm.[/citation]

Really, you have an inside person at Microsoft that told you this?

Macs and "cool" is just so overdone now. Too bad they're now built well, but then again image is everything when they can't compete on price.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I smell apple sales plummeting, serves the bastards right for selling crappy products at 2-3X the price and making me watch false ads. Apple aint got shit on PC, and they know it to, thats why every mac has bootcamp so you can have the much needed windows to do your every day work and fun.

I still have yet to find a bug or virus that all the mac ads talk about, my last virus was the "blaster" virus from 1995 on my windows 95.

A hint to apple, sell the damn OS in a box so people don't have to buy your over priced hardware.

I love windows vista, and i am a pc.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'd give myself about a 9/10. I lose one point because my hair is extensions rather than natural.[/citation]
I think I liked your old picture better though. :x This one is just a bit too 'emo' for me to agree with. :p lol

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
If I could build better blue jeans for half the price and the time spent was reasonable..... Yes.

I always make my decisions based on value. If I see better value in A over B, I will buy A. If B shows me better value next time, I will buy B.

Being brand loyal is just plain stupid. I drive a 2006 Lincoln LS. I drive it because I see value in it for the dollar. If their was a similar car for 1/2 of the money, I would buy it. I set a budget of $50000. My goal was to buy the most comfortable, most powerful, and best handling car for $50G or less. I have the money to buy a 7 series BMW but I did not see that much more value in the BMW over the lincoln.

People who go out and just spend the money on whatever pleases them, don't have any money or they have too much money.

Jecastej.... you are right we need more options. Apple should give up the stupid notion that they are a hardware company.... nobody believes it anyway. They should sell their operating system beside MS. I like the Mac OS but I will not pay double the price for slower hardware to have it.

By the time Apple figures this out, it will be too late. Windows 7 is going to stop Apple's growth for sure.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]I think I liked your old picture better though. :x This one is just a bit too 'emo' for me to agree with. lol[/citation]

You'll be happy to know I submitted a new one earlier this morning. You'll see a more up to date Jane over the next few hours.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]what you talking about, just google and read about all the people that complain that the mac mini is like slow, sluggish at running anything. there goes the experience. apple has been over charging since the first apple ii days. sure they had a winner, but atari, commodore were less expensive. never could buy an apple for #200, but i could buy a commodore 64 for that. both had same cpu, same amount of memory, 64k, both had a diskdrive, commodore one dirt cheap, the apple one was like 2x more. commodore has an even less expensive model the vic20. both ran the sam 6502 software, so nothing has changed apples are just overpriced. jobs is the only man that i've down that turned mega winners to a 10% market share. if they were so great, they were there since day one, one would expect tham to have 90% market share, but their hubris, greed, has kept them down to selling to newbies and snobbish rubbish, yeah you know who you are ;-)[/citation]

welllllllllllllllll..
my friend if i do this upgrade myself i'm voiding the warranty... while the dell does come with more cpu already, and the 4 gb of memory.. why sould i pay more for a computer that have lest everything.
and as for the warranty you told, i've had apple 1 year warranty before and let me tell you, that warranty is only for the hardware, in case of extreme hardware failure, if something go wrong with os or configuration. If you dont have apple care, i'm sorry my friend but you are fucked up..

while the xps 13 come with a full 1 year warranty on my home, i don't have to go out to a dell store , to be serviced for something that i paid more money.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Wait, since when doesn't Apple include a year's warranty? You've added the extra cost of three year's warranty to the Mac but not to the Dell. Take the base white MacBook - $999. If you add the specs that you did before, i.e. 4GB of RAM and 250GB hard drive (although you'd be a fool not to do these upgrades aftermarket) then the MacBook would be $1199. That's with the same level of warranty as you specced on the Dell. So pre-tax, the difference is greatly reduced. You've purposely chosen the more expensive MacBook model and have configured it in such a way that it is unreasonable to compare. When comparing laptops, you need to compare base spec models. No one in their right minds pays Apple or Dell for a hard drive or RAM upgrade. If you compare the models fairly then you'll see the difference isn't all that great. Yes Apple does charge more and yes they do charge more for the hell of design (i.e. aluminium MacBook vs white MacBook or Black MacBook vs White MacBook before). On the other hand, Apple sometimes even sell their stuff cheaper than the competitors. The original Mac Pro, as an example, sold for far cheaper than an equally specced Dell workstation did.[/citation]

welllllllllllllllll..
my friend if i do this upgrade myself i'm voiding the warranty... while the dell does come with more cpu already, and the 4 gb of memory.. why sould i pay more for a computer that have lest everything.
and as for the warranty you told, i've had apple 1 year warranty before and let me tell you, that warranty is only for the hardware, in case of extreme hardware failure, if something go wrong with os or configuration. If you dont have apple care, i'm sorry my friend but you are fucked up..

while the xps 13 come with a full 1 year warranty on my home, i don't have to go out to a dell store , to be serviced for something that i paid more money.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Let's also not forget about desktops too. I find building a desktop PC is often a lot cheaper than buying a Mac Pro with the same components. And desktops are probably the easiest thing to compare since you can build them almost exactly like the Macs to make the game fair.

By the way, I also enjoyed your article - it was very thought-provoking, which I believe is good for its type. Likewise, I think your comment about visiting a Mac store first made for a good discussion. :)

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Kezix_69[/nom]I think getting the MAC OS to work for PCs would be a brilliant idea.[/citation]

Agree, 100%. That's why I'm loving this Psystar case. Depsite the fact that I think the company is full of it, they're actually holding their own in a lawsuit with Apple. Nearly a year now! I'm also digging the German company that says because the EULA is sealed inside (meaning you can't see it before you buy it) it's void. That said, I'm no lawyer so I don't know if that will fly in court.

its a fight no doubt but its the truth and it doesn't matter if it was from the apple store or not there still going to be roughly the same price anywhere else. 13" macbook eh for under $1000 (as the article quoted) why bother a) you could get a better spec pc laptop with a bigger screen or go the cheapest route and get a netbook with a 13" screen for under $500. the netbooks are good enough for the average user anyway

the only reason my interest was peaked for an apple laptop was the looks but the extra cost for looks isn't worth it for me

If apple would sell his os to PC users, everybody would be happy.

PC users that whant to try MAC OS X
MAC user could still buy MAC OS X on an Apple computer.

If apple puts OSX on the PC it will loose its edge. why do you think macOS is a top OS in the first place? because apple has it running on specific HARDWARE!!! if they release it to PC's it going be be one big unstable mess because then they will also have to deal with low quality hardware and drivers

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I run a $500 laptop from HP a DV6810US. It runs Vista perfectly. I can use the aero interface with very minor lag so no big deal and I dont even like it anyways. Although I don't like vista much it works pretty well. XP Pro is preferred. Macs are too expensive for what you get. They make you look like an arrogant douche. I hate people that own Macs and have hard ons for them. I have 0 respect for someone that prefers Macs. I believe they're idiot hippies with absolutley no logicical mindset. All you Apple retards are fools. If you like wasting your money be my guest it just means you're a handicapped dolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.