Question PC screen goes black but computer is still running while gaming.

May 3, 2020
Seems a lot of people are having this issue but I haven't seen any of them solved so I figured I'd post mine. This started 2 days ago. I play a lot of Flight simulator. Specifically Prepar3D V4.5. First time this happened was about 1.5 hours in or so. I wasn't sitting there watching the screen and therefore don't know if there was an error message or something. Walked into the room and my monitor had gone into sleep mode and was showing No signal. Spotify still plays but when I press a key or click with the mouse I hear a ding sound. Same sound as if a game has froze and you try to click on something. I should mention that most of the time while the game is running the CPU runs at nearly 100% and the GPU at about 50-60. Very dependent on the situation though. GPU will be up at 100% around heavy cloud buildup or large airports. But it is crashing when there is probably the least amount of load on anything during that specific session. Also nothing in the event viewer. Just the errors from having to force the PC to shut down by holding the power button.

So far I have tried Windows recovery to last week sometime, and I have pulled everything apart and repasted my GPU and CPU. I'll try drivers and anything else I can think of today but based on some other people's posts on here I'm not too hopeful. Also I ran Furmark temps looked fine to me 82 max on the GPU

PC Specs

i5-6500 Processor with a Noctua Nh-L9i air cooler
AsRock H110M-ITX mobo
Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3gb gpu
16gb Avexir core DDR4-2400 ram
Silverstone SFX series SST-ST45SF-V3 450W PSU
1 500 gb crucial mx500 SSD and 1 brand new 500gb WD blue SSD

PC was built early December 2016 mostly from newegg so everything is out of warranty I believe

Seems like a GPU thing to me but I don't know quite enough about computers to make that assumption. Windows problem maybe?

I've been wanting a nice new rig for a while now but I just don't have the cash right now.

Please Help!!!

Edit: Today first I tried DDUing the driver in safe mode and then installing the March one, no joy. About 2 hours in same crash. Then I tried repairing windows from the installation media while keeping files and applications. Just crashed again 20 minutes ago. I also changed to a DVI (EDIT: Display Port NOT DVI) cable and plugged my PC into a different outlet just in case. I just installed a new data drive, going to take that out see if something changes. Next I will likely backup my data and wipe the system unless anyone has any better ideas? Hopefully that will rule out software. Just so frustrating because the only way I know how to reproduce the error is to start up the game and wait. This last time it took about 2 hours.

One other interesting note- after this last crash this appeared in Event Viewer twice in a row presumably right before the crash. I don't see any other concerning logs but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

" Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Anyone?? Last night I pulled everything out again. I have a PCIe riser card for my gpu in my case (comes with the case so I removed that and cleaned and reseated all of that. Took the new drive out, reseated the RAM and all power cables, and I jumped the CMOS.

Just about an hour into the game now to test, will update if I get another crash. Also I ran Heaven all night last night and it ran fine. Will run Prime95 tonight if the screen doesnt crash again. Help!!!

Last edited:
May 3, 2020
Can anybody help me!!!?? A few days ago I tried reducing the clock speed on my gpu by about 10% seemed to do the trick for a few days but I just had another crash and fans ramped up to 100%

TRENDING THREADS