Question PC shorting/crashing

SamPrince1886

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Hi guys, I recently brought a new PSU (Cooler master white 750w) and attempted to install into my working PC, as soon as I attempted to boot it shorted a few seconds after I got onto the windows screen.

I assumed I had been given a faulty psu so I reinstalled the old one and I'm now having the exact same issues with the old one that was working perfectly.

I've removed the GPU and RAM and it still crashes, it does still crash with the cpu uninstalled but it seems to last longer without.

Whenever I make it onto the windows screen for a few seconds or even the bios menus, it's very laggy/slow which was making me think it's something to so with the cpu. I've checked all wires for the fans etc are still connected but nothing.

Is there something I'm missing or have I potentially shorted a different component? Any help is appreciated

Specs-
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - Gigabyte 3060ti
Motherboard - X570 UD
PSU - Corsair vs550
SSD - Samsung 970 evo plus
OS - Windows 10

Last edited:
So the CM White, isn't a particularly good PSU at all. I wouldn't have it in a build myself.

It may be the CW shorted the mobo somehow, and as a result the previous known good PSU is now not working either.

Use only cables that came with new PSU. Still the same?

SamPrince1886

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
So the CM White, isn't a particularly good PSU at all. I wouldn't have it in a build myself.

It may be the CW shorted the mobo somehow, and as a result the previous known good PSU is now not working either.

Use only cables that came with new PSU. Still the same?
I've ordered an adapted for the plug just to see if that will work but I assume something has shorted, the motherboard making the most sense.

Is there any way I can check if it's actually the motherboard and not something else? Don't want to buy another one just for it to be something else