[SOLVED] PC sometimes suddenly lags and restarts mid game

Jan 25, 2021
I Have a problem with my pc since the first day , sometimes when I am mid game I suddenly get massive delay in input and everything, and I can hear the people playing with me but they cant hear me, and when I press the windows key nothing happens. its like my desktop is totally dead but I am still in game, sometimes it follows up with a restart and sometimes it fixes itself and comes back to normal, something I can notice when this happens is my PC's RGB restarts to rainbow (normally its purple) the whole time until the problem fixes itself it goes back to purple.

I used MSI afterburner to monitor the CPU and GPU when this happens to see if its an overheating problem, but the temperatures doesn't even go over 65.

drivers are up to date and I never changed anything or OCed anything other than turning xmp on and changing the fan speeds ,I reinstalled drivers with ddu and didn't fix it, in fact I think its a CPU problem, also my older GPU didn't work after one of the restarts that happened so had to get another one because of it, and I am scared that the same will happen to my new one

and since English is not my first language its hard to explain everything in detail and its hard to look for a fix ,I really don't know what to do, please help me

My PC

CPU/ Intel core i7-9700K
GPU/ MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3070
MB/ MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM/ 32GB 3200
PSU/ Corsair RM 650w 80+ gold

Last edited:
Solution
sorry forgot to add the power supply model, its Corsair RM 2019 650w 80+ gold

I thought of that but didn't want to change to a750 or 850 immediately... since I don't know if its the problem exactly, is there any other things that could lead to this problem ? and thanks for replying
No problem. Glad to help if I can.

That is a very good PSU. You might look at an equal quality 750w unit. From what I understand, the spikes in voltage requirements when the RTX3 series boost, is causing issue with some PSU's.

The other two errors, don't look like PSU related. Normally you would expect a kernel power error.
Jan 25, 2021
Hey there,

Re-starts like that (although not all your crashes are re-starts) generally point to a PSU issue.

What is the make and model of yours?

You have a strong system, and a new RTX card. RTX don't play well with some older PSU's.

I thought of that but didn't want to change to a750 or 850 immediately... since I don't know if its the problem exactly, is there any other things that could lead to this problem ? and thanks for replying

Jan 25, 2021
Hey there,

Re-starts like that (although not all your crashes are re-starts) generally point to a PSU issue.

What is the make and model of yours?

You have a strong system, and a new RTX card. RTX don't play well with some older PSU's.

I had 2 blue screens that idk if its related but I'll add it in case it was

one with the stop code KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

and the 2nd is BAD_POOL_CALLER

No problem. Glad to help if I can.

That is a very good PSU. You might look at an equal quality 750w unit. From what I understand, the spikes in voltage requirements when the RTX3 series boost, is causing issue with some PSU's.

The other two errors, don't look like PSU related. Normally you would expect a kernel power error.

Solution