[SOLVED] Pc suddenly loud

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
I had this weird problem for like 5 or 6 months.

Sometimes randomly while pc is idle/playing a game my pc gets super loud.

Changed thermal paste today, looked at the Temps. everything seems really normal.

As I said it happened before and it usually stops after 1 or 2 hours, or I just restart the pc like 5 times and it stops. Now I decided to see what's the real reason behind it making so much noise.

Right now my cpu rpm is 1900 and temp is around 50°
And my gpu rpm is 1200 and temp is 26°
My pc is idle and it sounds like a jet.

My pc specs are:
Windows 10 64bit
GTX 1050ti 4gb
athlon x4 860k
8gb ram
raidmax 500w psu

Last edited:
Solution
Not a matter of damage per se. Heat is an enemy of electronics along with heating up and cooling down leading to physical expansion and contraction.

And as manufacturers try to do more (PSU wattage) with less (cheap components) then the time to EOL (End of Life) gets shortened.

Late thought: gently check that the visible screws are all snuggly in place and that the PSU is sitting squarely in place.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Starting point is to determine the source of the sound: i.e., which fan....

To do so you will need to open the case to listen about and physically inspect the fans for debris, signs of damage, contact with cables, etc..

My thought is that the problem is heat related. System cool, metals "contracted", super loud sound.

Once/after warmed up, metals expanded, no loud sound.

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Starting point is to determine the source of the sound: i.e., which fan....

To do so you will need to open the case to listen about and physically inspect the fans for debris, signs of damage, contact with cables, etc..

My thought is that the problem is heat related. System cool, metals "contracted", super loud sound.

Once/after warmed up, metals expanded, no loud sound.
Updated the ps specs.
I listened it now. I think the sound is coming from the Power supply.
usually the noise stops and doesn't appear again for like 1 month. but now it's not stopping.

You got any idea?

Ralston18

Titan
Is the sound from the PSU fan or elsewhere in the PSU?

Power off, unplug, and use a bright flashlight to look inside the fan and PSU case. May be some debris in the fan.

Do Not open the PSU case.

How old is the Raidmax PSU?

Was the PSU new with the PSU or perhaps used/refurbished when installed?

Usage: heavy gaming, graphics editing, bit-mining, etc.?

The increase in noise over time suggests, to me anyway, that the PSU is faltering and may be nearing EOL (End of Life).

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
Is the sound from the PSU fan or elsewhere in the PSU?

Power off, unplug, and use a bright flashlight to look inside the fan and PSU case. May be some debris in the fan.

Do Not open the PSU case.

How old is the Raidmax PSU?

Was the PSU new with the PSU or perhaps used/refurbished when installed?

Usage: heavy gaming, graphics editing, bit-mining, etc.?

The increase in noise over time suggests, to me anyway, that the PSU is faltering and may be nearing EOL (End of Life).
I think it's both sound of the psu fan and from the inside.
It was bought brand new, like 2 years ago. Installed it myself, so it really shouldn't be damaged.

I use the pc mostly for gaming and listening to music, so i dont think it's much heavy usage.
I looked at the psu with a flashlight, the fans and everything next to it seems fine. No visible damage.
As for the dust, yeah it's kinda dusty but it's mostly on the walls of the supply, doesn't look like it blocks the air flow...

Ralston18

Titan
Not a matter of damage per se. Heat is an enemy of electronics along with heating up and cooling down leading to physical expansion and contraction.

And as manufacturers try to do more (PSU wattage) with less (cheap components) then the time to EOL (End of Life) gets shortened.

Late thought: gently check that the visible screws are all snuggly in place and that the PSU is sitting squarely in place.

Solution

Chris 2224

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016

Thank you for helping me tho. Checked the screws, they're alright.
I'll try some software stuff. if not I'll take it to some shop to fix it.
If something changes I'll update it

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

Do be careful about "software stuff" especially some tempting download utility or app that shows up via a google search.

Some of those links will show up no matter what sort of problem you are trying to resolve.

Look carefully and check URLs.