Question Pc suddenly shuts down

Mar 13, 2023
Hello,
My brand new PC is turning off randomly. Without a blackscreen nor other error signals.
It happened the first time around three weeks after building it. And since then I have been having this problem. I've sent it to the store that sold me the components twice, but there, it seems to work without a flaw,. They run the pc for several hours while executing stress tests(GPU+memory tests) and it never shut down. After those interventions, the computer seems to be running fine for about 2- 3 weeks and then it starts shutting down again. There isn't really a pattern, it can work for 3 weeks or for 10 minutes.
After it shutdowns it doesn't boot again unless I unplug it from the wall and it loses all the energy, an then it usually boots (not always, in the last occurrence it didn't boot for 3 days).
I'm desperate looking for help, I'm not really sure how to debug the problem, or what to suspect.

Other weird things that happened:
  • After building the pc I had an occurrence where the pc started shut down and started for 6 times in a row while it was pluged, (I was scared, so I unplugged it);
  • Sometimes when it starts to shutdown and I was trying to reboot, I got to a state where it didn't boot but the motherboard had the ram light on (this is very rare);
  • Same as above happened but with the gpu light (even more rare);
  • Since everytime it went to the shop they would make a clean installation of the windows, I thought that it could be somehow related to that. The next time it happened while at my house, I formatted the pc and it actually work again for around 1-2 weeks; (tried both windows 11 and 10 but the outcome was similar);
  • After all the described above, I was wondering if it could be a bios problem (initial bios version: 2803). Therefore when it ocurred again upgraded the bios to version 2806, the problem kept happening 3 hours later, afterwards I decided to bump it even more to the beta version 3001, solved the problem for another 2 weeks;
System
  • Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3d
  • GPU: AORUS Radeon™ RX 6900 XT
  • RAM: DDR4 4x8GB 3600 mhz Corsair vengeance
  • SDD: 1TB m2 crucial
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold GX 1000W Full Modular

Last edited:
Solution
After almost 3 months I can confirm that it was a faulty psu. Sent the old one for RMA, and since then the pc is working flawlessly!
if you have a volt ohm meter, check the outlet , the voltage between the two main connectors, then check from each main connector to the ground on the outlet. to see if they are correct.
(no voltage from neutral to the ground)

20 years ago I lived in a old house, I had a machine that worked fine but some mornings it would not boot up. Turned out that if the shower light was turned on then the machine would not boot,
basically the shower light was wired incorrectly. When it was on there was 30 to 60 volts on the ground wire to the house. Turnned off the shower light then the computer in the living room would boot up.

good power supplies might detect the bad ground and may turn off

Mar 13, 2023
Assuming you don't just have a bad power cable coming from the power supply and it's not your wall outlet I would swap out that power supply. If that does not work, swap out the motherboard.
I have used multiple power cables and outlets, unfortunately kept happening. I updated the initial thread with additional information that might be helpful.

Mar 13, 2023
if you have a volt ohm meter, check the outlet , the voltage between the two main connectors, then check from each main connector to the ground on the outlet. to see if they are correct.
(no voltage from neutral to the ground)

20 years ago I lived in a old house, I had a machine that worked fine but some mornings it would not boot up. Turned out that if the shower light was turned on then the machine would not boot,
basically the shower light was wired incorrectly. When it was on there was 30 to 60 volts on the ground wire to the house. Turnned off the shower light then the computer in the living room would boot up.

good power supplies might detect the bad ground and may turn off
Unfortunately I don't have volt ohm meter to measure those values. I'm considering to borrow the pc to a friend to understand if the problem is located in my house. Either way I updated the initial thread with additional information that might be helpful.

Mar 13, 2023
I have an update, in the last couple of days I was suspecting the psu so I tried it in my old rig which was running fine before. After replacing it I started having the same problem. At this point I only see two possible scenarios:
  • the psu is broken
  • I have some kind of problem related with the power in my house, and the psu is shutting down the computer for security reasons

Mar 13, 2023
After almost 3 months I can confirm that it was a faulty psu. Sent the old one for RMA, and since then the pc is working flawlessly!

Solution