[SOLVED] PC suddently turned off and burn smell. Now it's not working, no signal on display.

Synthaxx

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone, hope you're doing well! (I would like to apologise for my English and redaction since it's not my first language)

My setup is:
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 FTW 4GB
CPU: AMD Fx-8350
RAM: HyperX Fury x16GB
PSU: Seasonic 500w +80gold
SSD: Kingston A400
Motherboard: MSI Krait 970A
I have no tension stabililizer.

I have this pc working for 3 years now. So, few days ago I was playing warzone while connected to a zoom meeting, while the game suddently dropped it's performance from an average of 60fps to 24fps until the computer shut down, my power LED was blinking and a burn smell came from the back of the PC that lasted only a few seconds (I noticed it coming from the upper usb connectors). I tried multiple times turning my pc on, but I only get no signal from the monitor and GPU fans are like trying to spin but for some reason they won't. The other LED indicators from the case, CPU fans and other funs seem to be working fine.
I already took it to a service, and they told me that PSU was working fine. So, as I wait for an answer from them, do you think it could be that the motherboard is faulty or it could be a faulty GPU?

Thanks to everyone!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Plus, the TDP on that CPU is 125 watts.

If I were to guess the motherboard VRMs gave up after struggling to power that CPU. I know an AM3+ motherboard I have has a warning that, if you're using a CPU over 95W, then do not use liquid cooling, or at least have supplemental fans, because the VRMs will get hot and need the airflow to cool them.

Synthaxx

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
I would suspect that motherboard, as it was never a good model.
So apparently you were right, It was the motherboard. I had to make an update to an i7 10700K and motherboard Aorus Z490. Now, in my previos build I had a Deepcool Gammax 200 as cpu cooler. Do you think this cooler would be suitable for the new processor? My country has limited stock of pc components and its really difficult to buy a new cooler for a reasonable price.
Thanks again for your help!