Question Pc switches on and off indefinitely unless you clear the CMOS

Sep 1, 2019
Hi all,

the problem I'm experiencing with my PC is the following:
Whenever I switch on my PC all fans begin to switch on and off periodically with a 2 sec interval. Here are my specs.

Asus Z97A MoBo
Intel i5 4690K 3.5 GHz
2x4 GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 1600 MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060

I have tried the following so far:

I tried all different slots for the RAM.
I have replaced the graphics card.
I have swapped the PSU with a new one.
I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and again back to the previous version.
I have replaced the battery for CMOS with a new one.

All of the above don't make a difference. My PC is only able to boot if I clear the CMOS, either with the jumper or by removing the battery. Once it resets and loads the default settings it's able to reboot, but once I switch it off it won't boot normally.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 1, 2019
Does sound like some kind of motherboard issue, and you've already done the most obvious troubleshooting steps. Have you tried disconnecting all the front panel buttons and jumper starting the PC?
Hi there,
yes have tried that to, and powering from the powerbutton on the motherboard leads to the same result :(

Remeca

Reputable
Don't know what else you can try with what you have, my next step would be trying a different CPU, and if it continues, trying a different motherboard, but I know most people don't just have hardware sitting around to test with, so maybe check local computer groups and see if somebody has compatible hardware they'll let you test with. Alternative would be taking it to a reputable pc shop for diagnosis.