Question PC tries to turn on every 5 minutes

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I have a custom build that recently stopped working. Previously it worked fine for about a year. The specs are:

Intel i7
32GB RAM
GeForce RTX 4060 Ti
Be Quiet! Cooler
Powerspec 650 Watt

Every 5 minutes or so it will light up for a second and then go off. These are the things I tried:

New CMOS Battery
Removed i7, cleaned it and readded thermal paste
Cleaned all the dust (It was very very dusty)
New Powerspec 650 watt. (The fan spins when doing the paperclip test)

I dont know what to do next to get it working. Please help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What was the last power supply? Also motherboard and cpu model?

Powerspec i don't think is very reliable, did you buy new or used? But i guess if new wouldn't or shouldn't be the reason for current situation.

If last psu was on the garbage side and it died could have done damage to components connected to it. This is why power supplies shouldn't be treated as something that can be skimped on.

Also if last power supply was modular or semi modular and reusing pcie cables from that unit with this new one then that's recipe for disaster as well. Pinouts aren't always the same across brands, plug looks the same, but where the wires go where is often different so can be feeding power to the incorrect pin thus frying the component or if psu is good enough to prevent short will turn off.

Every 5 minutes or so it will light up for a second and then go off.

Is it turning on by itself?

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
What was the last power supply? Also motherboard and cpu model?

Powerspec i don't think is very reliable, did you buy new or used? But i guess if new wouldn't or shouldn't be the reason for current situation.

If last psu was on the garbage side and it died could have done damage to components connected to it. This is why power supplies shouldn't be treated as something that can be skimped on.

Also if last power supply was modular or semi modular and reusing pcie cables from that unit with this new one then that's recipe for disaster as well. Pinouts aren't always the same across brands, plug looks the same, but where the wires go where is often different so can be feeding power to the incorrect pin thus frying the component or if psu is good enough to prevent short will turn off.

Is it turning on by itself?
Power supply is model PSX 650GSM 80 Plus Gold
I only know the motherboard is MSI. Theres no other info on it and I cant get into BIOS to view it.
Same for the CPU other than I know its an Intel i7. I am low on thermal paste so I dont want to wipe off the paste to view it again, plus reinstalling the cooler is a pain.

After I made this post everything turned on and stayed on around 1AM. All the lights are on but nothing on the monitor. I can now press the power button and it will turn off and on now. It did not do that before so I don't know how that happened.

The last power supply was the exact same. Everything lights up so I dont think its a PSU issue. Its also new. I can always try an new PSU thats a better manufactured if you think that will work. Also the CPU light on the motherboard is steady red. See pics - View: https://imgur.com/a/bGCP60L
I

boju

Titan
Ambassador
System information in Windows will say what processor it is, also cpuz will indentify cpu as well as motherboard.

Try use igpu if motherboard has video out. Hopefully cpu has integrated graphics and not a F suffix sku without igpu. May need to remove graphics card for igpu to work depending on motherboard / bios setting to allow simultaneous displays.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
System information in Windows will say what processor it is, also cpuz will indentify cpu as well as motherboard.

Try use igpu if motherboard has video out. Hopefully cpu has integrated graphics and not a F suffix sku without igpu. May need to remove graphics card for igpu to work depending on motherboard / bios setting to allow simultaneous displays.

How can I access this is I cant boot to Windows?

I was going to try the BIOS fix found here - https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming...tion_new_msi_motherboard_cpu_light_solid_red/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I meant next time lol 😅

Thing with that bios link is it's a different platform (or is it? how old is your system since i don't know) more modern with bios flash back capabilities which is common nowadays where you can flash bios without a cpu.

Try without the graphics card anyway, that was the other part of it i hoped you'd do.