[SOLVED] PC turns off after half a second

May 12, 2022
Hey y’all I’m really stumped here.

I recently built my very first computer and it had problems with the last Asus board I had so I got a new one and all was working well for 4 days, until today it shut off on me while gaming.
When I try to turn it back on it instantly shuts off. The mobo has its LEDs on before boot, but when I boot everything; gpu fans, cpu fan, case fans and other LEDs turn on for less than a second and then shut off.

I have,
  • Replaced/removed cmos battery
  • Done the paper clip test on psu(fan turns on for a moment then stops with no load)
  • Tried powering with one stick of ram
  • Moving the stick of ram in available slots
  • Jumping motherboard with only cpu and cpu fan plugged in (same problem)
the mobo does not have a buzzer but leds, they do not light up whatsoever
Specs; all parts are <1 week out of box
Mobo - ASUS TUF X570
Memory - x2 8GB G.Skill ddr4
Cpu - Ryzen 5600G
Cpu cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212
Gpu- EVGA rtx 3080 ti
Psu - Corsair RM 650x g
Storage - 2tb Samsung ssd (not m.2)
Case - LIAN LI LANCOOL215

Mostly sus of the mobo and the psu, just don’t want to have to buy a 3rd mobo

Would appreciate any help!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022
What thermal paste did you use and how was the thermal paste applied?

This motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...F-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/techspec/

If you remove the GPU will the computer boot using iGPU?
The thermal paste came with the CPU for the stock cooler so I don’t believe there should be an issue there l, however I did buy a separate tube from Corsair in case it didn’t come with one.

That is the motherboard I am using, sorry for not putting the wifi part!

And I haven’t tried iGPU yet, will do it when I get home

May 9, 2022
Trust me, it's never the psu. Whatever I posted here people always say it's psu, but it never was. It seems like some religious Sect of a Broken Power Supply.

1. Try another ram
  2. Try another psu

3. If you suspect any detail - warranty. Go to shop you bought it from and say the detail is not working. They will test it. If it works - you eliminated it, move to next detail.

Reactions: TheBawss
May 12, 2022
Hey so lil question before I move any further. I tried the paperclip test on my psu again but this time with the case powered by it aswell. The case flashes it’s LEDs and fans spin for a moment. Is it still the psu that caused this? Or could the case be at fault here

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Trust me, it's never the psu. Whatever I posted here people always say it's psu, but it never was. It seems like some religious Sect of a Broken Power Supply.

Or a case of simple physics, A poor 650W power supply cannot run a 3080Ti proper, the 3080(Ti) is infamous for it's power peaks far beyond the power usage given by Nvidia...

1. Try another ram
  2. Try another psu
3. If you suspect any detail - warranty. Go to shop you bought it from and say the detail is not working. They will test it. If it works - you eliminated it, move to next detail.
His current PSU CANNOT handle a 3080ti PERIOD! Once he replaces it and if he still had trouble we can proceed further.

Hey so lil question before I move any further. I tried the paperclip test on my psu again but this time with the case powered by it aswell. The case flashes it’s LEDs and fans spin for a moment. Is it still the psu that caused this? Or could the case be at fault here
Remove the 3080ti and use the iGPU. If your problem stops it's either your GPU or PSU. My money is on the PSU.

**Be sure to replace ALL cables when you get new PSU. Do NOT use any existing power cables in PC.

May 12, 2022
Remove the 3080ti and use the iGPU. If your problem stops it's either your GPU or PSU. My money is on the PSU.

**Be sure to replace ALL cables when you get new PSU. Do NOT use any existing power cables in PC.
Your money was right! I swapped out my psu with my friends and all worked as it should. I picked up a Corsair 1000x 80+ Gold so this doesn’t cause any future problems.

Thank you for your time and help
don’t know how to put this as solved tho

Reactions: drivinfast247