[SOLVED] PC Turns off randomly when playing some games.

Oct 2, 2019
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Spec
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU : RAEDON RX 5700
Motherboard : MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Power Supply : EVGA 600 W1
RAM : Hyper X Fury 3200MHz 16GB
SSD : Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB
Fans : 5 x corsair fans
LEDs : 3 x strips
Windows 10 Professional

Story
When playing a game my computer will randomly turn off. Then I will have to unplug the power supply and wait a around 15s until i can turn it back on again. Sometimes It wont give a signal to my monitor and i will have to press the power button and start it up again.

Games it has happened with: CS:GO, Destiny 2, Rainbow 6 siege

Here is an screen shot of the event log after it turns off

I'm not sure what other info I should give you, please could you suggest your fixes..

Regards,

Stocky

Solution
That pc would run on a good quality 550watt psu,but that is maybe the problem with such a "white B600watt" psu.

Seems he may have found the solution,but hight of wattage isn't all to go at when manufacturers state things about wattage requirements. They keep these low budget psu's in mind when saying stuff like that.
LOL, I'm no noob when it comes to amperage matters more than wattage, and know full well that wattage is always mentioned conservatively to account for bad PSUs. In fact I quite often refer new builders to a chart that shows not just wattage, but also combined 12v amperage of most popular PSUs.

That said, I also know the majority of name brand PSUs, including EVGA, typically don't have amperage...
Quite honestly, the PSU is a fairly popular one for most PCs. However, AMD's GPUs are often power hungry. That particular series of GPUs has also been plagued with problems.

AMD's stated requirements for the 5700 series is 600W minimum, 700w recommended.

"System Requirements

The following are recommended minimum requirements for installation of AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 / AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT graphics cards. These recommendations are for single-card installations: • PC with at least one PCI-Express x16 graphics slot available on the motherboard. • Minimum 600W (recommended 700W) PSU with up to an 8-pin + 6-pin PCI Express Auxiliary connectors. This PSU recommendation is only for one Radeon RX 5700 series GPU installed per system. Additional GPUs will require more capable power supplies."

Source: https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

If it were me, I'd avoid the 5700 like the plague. It's bad enough all the problems those GPUs have had, but there's no way in this day and age with GPUs trending toward requiring less power, that a GPU of the 5700 level should need 700w.

That said, out of curiosity, are you running the GPU on a 16x Pci Ex slot, and are you running the latest GPU driver? That GPU takes one 8 pin and one 6 pin Pci Ex cable, both of which your PSU has. Lastly, you might want to check your MB's BIOS version to see if you have the latest BIOS listed on your MB's BIOS page.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS

On potential compatibility issues parts wise, I could not find the QVL for that MB, but Kingston generally assures compatibility. VGA wise however, the RX 5000 series is not on the VGA compatibility list for that MB. It may just be their website isn't updated yet, but I would contact MSI on that.

The Radeon VII is on the list, but the RX 5700 series came out only 5 months later. It's only been a couple months since the 5700 series debuted though, so it's possible it's just not on their VGA support page yet.

Also, the topic has more to do with than just hardware or system problems. If it only happens when playing games, the PC Gaming forum should be fine to post it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stocky_Stockton
Oct 2, 2019
Quite honestly, the PSU is a fairly popular one for most PCs. However, AMD's GPUs are often power hungry. That particular series of GPUs has also been plagued with problems.

AMD's stated requirements for the 5700 series is 600W minimum, 700w recommended.

"System Requirements

The following are recommended minimum requirements for installation of AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 / AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT graphics cards. These recommendations are for single-card installations: • PC with at least one PCI-Express x16 graphics slot available on the motherboard. • Minimum 600W (recommended 700W) PSU with up to an 8-pin + 6-pin PCI Express Auxiliary connectors. This PSU recommendation is only for one Radeon RX 5700 series GPU installed per system. Additional GPUs will require more capable power supplies."

Source: https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

If it were me, I'd avoid the 5700 like the plague. It's bad enough all the problems those GPUs have had, but there's no way in this day and age with GPUs trending toward requiring less power, that a GPU of the 5700 level should need 700w.

That said, out of curiosity, are you running the GPU on a 16x Pci Ex slot, and are you running the latest GPU driver? That GPU takes one 8 pin and one 6 pin Pci Ex cable, both of which your PSU has. Lastly, you might want to check your MB's BIOS version to see if you have the latest BIOS listed on your MB's BIOS page.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS

On potential compatibility issues parts wise, I could not find the QVL for that MB, but Kingston generally assures compatibility. VGA wise however, the RX 5000 series is not on the VGA compatibility list for that MB. It may just be their website isn't updated yet, but I would contact MSI on that.

The Radeon VII is on the list, but the RX 5700 series came out only 5 months later. It's only been a couple months since the 5700 series debuted though, so it's possible it's just not on their VGA support page yet.

Also, the topic has more to do with than just hardware or system problems. If it only happens when playing games, the PC Gaming forum should be fine to post it in.

Hello,

Firstly thank you for such a detailed response.

I must admit I did not realise the 5700 required a 700w recommend power supply. I will look into buying a new one.

Driver updates were something I jumped on first, pretty sure all these are updated to the latest version:
Bios
GPU
CPU Socket (forgot the actual name, but it allows me to use AMD power modes in settings)

I will have to Google the PCI 16x port as I am unsure what it us. (Mt friend helped me build my PC, I'm still learning everything)

I think I have found a solution but I will keep you updated on wether or not it works.

I believed because my monitor, pc, subwoofer +speakers, and lamp were all plugged into the same extension lead it was tripping the lead when there was a 'power surge' from my GPU.

I have now plugged the PC into the mains supply and havnt had any repeats yet. But I will give it time.

Regards,

Stocky

Hello,

Firstly thank you for such a detailed response.

I must admit I did not realise the 5700 required a 700w recommend power supply. I will look into buying a new one.

Driver updates were something I jumped on first, pretty sure all these are updated to the latest version:
Bios
GPU
CPU Socket (forgot the actual name, but it allows me to use AMD power modes in settings)

I will have to Google the PCI 16x port as I am unsure what it us. (Mt friend helped me build my PC, I'm still learning everything)

I think I have found a solution but I will keep you updated on wether or not it works.

I believed because my monitor, pc, subwoofer +speakers, and lamp were all plugged into the same extension lead it was tripping the lead when there was a 'power surge' from my GPU.

I have now plugged the PC into the mains supply and havnt had any repeats yet. But I will give it time.

Regards,

Stocky
Yeah overloading one outlet can cause that kind of thing.

BTW, the top Pci Ex slot of your MB is 16x, and it's the only one that is.

Refer to page 28 here. http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That pc would run on a good quality 550watt psu,but that is maybe the problem with such a "white B600watt" psu.

Seems he may have found the solution,but hight of wattage isn't all to go at when manufacturers state things about wattage requirements. They keep these low budget psu's in mind when saying stuff like that.

LOL, I'm no noob when it comes to amperage matters more than wattage, and know full well that wattage is always mentioned conservatively to account for bad PSUs. In fact I quite often refer new builders to a chart that shows not just wattage, but also combined 12v amperage of most popular PSUs.

That said, I also know the majority of name brand PSUs, including EVGA, typically don't have amperage issues. You pretty much have to go with cheap OEM or no name brands available in limited areas to get really bad PSUs anymore. The PSU industry has changed quite a lot in recent years. Even a lot of Chinese capacitors anymore are pretty good.

My bottom line is don't cheap out on a PSU, but also don't think you always have to go with a gold Seasonic or something to get an adequate one. When it comes right down to it, your best reference if a new builder in doubt, is to read reviews on PSUs from sites like JonnyGURU that do legit torture testing on them. You don't have to be a brand fanboy or go into panic mode just to buy an adequate one though.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reply wasn't just for you,but more to others who read these forums. People who roam around for info here. I'm also well aware that the psu above isn't the worst and that a good bronze will do fine as well. They are still budget psu's.
Even now do you see people who pay decent money for a rig like above and they cheap out on the psu because they only read about the wattage recommendation of a manufacturer so they choose high wattage over quality.
A good quality bronze or gold psu should be within reach if you pick parts like that.

Another example of that,
Question - New built. System not starting up. Single Mobo flash. | Tom's Hardware Forum
not saying the psu is the problem,but could well be only because somemone with a nice rig chose to cheap out on that.

Suffice it to say the best time to ask such advice is before buying the parts, not after.

That said, the lesson here is too many assume just because a PSU is not bronze or more rated, that it automatically must be the problem, despite said PSU getting 4 out of 5 star reviews from main streamers for working adequately. Does that mean I would buy such a unit with such spec, no, but I also am not quick to assume it must be the problem.

I didn't see anyone here acknowledging their assumptions were wrong when the problem was found to be an overloaded outlet, and THAT to me is a problem as well.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't see anyone here acknowledging their assumptions were wrong when the problem was found to be an overloaded outlet, and THAT to me is a problem as well.
You and i are about the only ones here that really replied and i don't see you say sorry as well ..... which means you think you got it right?
I wasn't the one replying that 700watts was recommended,that was you (and he really thought about buying a higher wattage one as he replied above), i was only talking to you (and others who read this thread/OP) that this was overrated and really unnessesary if having a good quality power supply.
That the extension was the problem is still a kind of power issue so saying psu is to blame isn't that weird of an assumption.

You and i are about the only ones here that really replied and i don't see you say sorry as well ..... which means you think you got it right?
I wasn't the one replying that 700watts was recommended,that was you (and he really thought about buying a higher wattage one as he replied above), i was only talking to you (and others who read this thread/OP) that this was overrated and really unnessesary if having a good quality power supply.
That the extension was the problem is still a kind of power issue so saying psu is to blame isn't that weird of an assumption.
It's not about being "sorry", it's about acknowledging potential misinformation. I also wasn't making the 700w comment based on an assumption the PSU was at fault due to poor quality, but rather according to AMD, not recommended power wise. I also posted a link to verify it.

All you've done with this post is confirm what I said about the denial I spoke of. These kind of responses are common among "experienced" builders whom often make such assumptions, and it's why I usually only respond in threads that have no responses. I get tired of the epeen syndrome.

It's about helping the person asking, not bragging and brand/rating fanboying. There's nothing to be "sorry" about for merely stating AMD's recommendation. After all, it's their product he's powering, you'd think they'd know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019
There were plenty of comments on your PSU, maybe read through the posts again. And yes, it's NEVER a good idea to use an extension on something like a gaming PC, especially if it's not a grounded, three prong type. The only exception is a decent surge protector, and those typically never come with longer than a 6' cord, which is always heavy duty with 3 prong plug.

To reiterate on the PSU, as I said, AMD recommends 700w for the 5700 series. Like I also said, if in doubt on quality, check jonnyGURU reviews, they cover most popular PSUs. As for places to buy them, Newegg often has great sales and promo deals on them. Whether 600w will work is going to depend on how hard and long you push it, but it's not wise to push it hard on a GPU that is recommended for a 700w unit.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Also lots of people have talked about the PSU but no one has mentioned if the one i have is decent or not, could you comment on that?
Since just cutting out like that especially under load does it imo look like psu problems other things might be motherboard maybe even ram (can do some stress testing with "prime95" blend or "AIDA 64" where you can stress test just the ram,also "memtest 86").

Since pretty new can you just go for warranty and see how the next one will behave ,if they say it indeed is the psu, could btw well be that a replacement wil work fine and that going for warranty is enough.
Or upgrade to something more worthy for a game pc like you have. For a pc like that should a good quality 550watt psu be fine,but if you don't trust that take a 650watt if replacing.
Don't know if you have "black friday" (november 29) where you live ,can maybe take advantage of price reductions then.

Maybe post some options that are available to you.