Question PC turns on but won’t boot/no signal/ no peripherals

Mar 19, 2022
Hello! So I recently went from a stock amd cooler to a Corsair icue h100i elite capellix. When I tried to remove this stock cooler, the cpu popped out with it and presumed to be fused/super stick to the heat sink. Tried dozens of ways to get it off but eventually was able to. Anyways, after reseating it, new dot of thermal paste, and mounted the cooler onto it, I have no power in my peripherals and no signal to monitor. The pc turns on and all fans and lighting goes on but no signal. So I figured I might’ve damaged my cpu in the removal process as it had basically became one with the heat sink. So I bought a new one. To my surprise, with the new cpu in, I’m having the same issue. No boot, no signal to monitor, no power to peripherals. Previous to swapping my cooler, my computer worked perfectly fine. All I really touched was the cpu, cooler, a sata cable, usb header, and mounted the fan/rgb controller that came with the cooler to the inner side of my pc case.
My specs are:
mobo: Asus prime x470
cpu: and Ryzen 9 5900x (old one was 7 2900x)
Gpu: gigabyte 1080
cooler: Corsair icue h100i elite capellix.
Memory: 48 gb ram, 2 16gb and 2 8gb Corsair vengeance DDR4.
Psu: evga super nova 850 g2, 80+ gold 850w

Mar 19, 2022
Were you running the 5900x before with no problems or when you first changed the cooler, you also changed from the 2900x to the 5900x?
I was first using the 2900x with no problems, then I changed the cooler. Once installed, my computer wasn’t booting/no signal to monitor/ no power to peripherals. So then I swapped the cpu out with a new one.

Efrain96

Distinguished
May 11, 2014
Hello Torres1327,

From my experience of no display signal, it just might be possible that you are having a RAM issue. A cause for that is that the PC will absolutely not display, nor properly boot, if it doesn't detect any RAM installed. Try reseatting the RAM sticks one by one. If that doesn't fix it, try turning it on with one RAM stick at a time on each slot until it displays and boots. If that doesn't work, and it still shows a no signal message, something more sinister may be going on. But let's go one step at a time. I know RAM issues sounds far-fetched, but when opening the case, and moving components around, they can become slight, everso slightly, loose. This can cause subtle, yet, frustrating issues.

Mar 19, 2022
Hello Torres1327,

From my experience of no display signal, it just might be possible that you are having a RAM issue. A cause for that is that the PC will absolutely not display, nor properly boot, if it doesn't detect any RAM installed. Try reseatting the RAM sticks one by one. If that doesn't fix it, try turning it on with one RAM stick at a time on each slot until it displays and boots. If that doesn't work, and it still shows a no signal message, something more sinister may be going on. But let's go one step at a time. I know RAM issues sounds far-fetched, but when opening the case, and moving components around, they can become slight, everso slightly, loose. This can cause subtle, yet, frustrating issues.
I had already tried removing all the ram and then just trying one slot, then using 2, then back to all 4 and it didn’t seem to make a difference. But I will try and reseat them again

With the old cpu on, it still wasn’t booting and had no signal, that’s been the main issue, not even being able to enter the bios cuz the monitor puts out no signal
Make sure you're connecting the monitor to GPU.

Power off and switch off PSU. Remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes to clear the CMOS. Reinstall the battery, switch on PSU and try to power on.

Mar 19, 2022
Make sure you're connecting the monitor to GPU.

Power off and switch off PSU. Remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes to clear the CMOS. Reinstall the battery, switch on PSU and try to power on.
Yes I’ve made sure that the monitor is connected to the gpu and not the motherboard. I did do the cmos battery already but only for 5 minutes? So I’ll try that again.

Mar 19, 2022
Are there any bent pins on the old CPU?

If it's no longer booting with the old CPU then I think you probably damaged the socket. It's time to buy a new motherboard.
Today I went over the old cpu again and i couldn’t see any bent pins, anything I saw I tried to straighten up the first time around. Seems with the old cpu, it doenst sit flat into the socket anymore. It also won’t lock in. However with the new cpu it sits how it should, and powers on but it won’t boot. Someone suggested I needed to update the bios before using this chip, so I was thinking maybe that’s why it was booting and I can’t update the bios without my old cpu that is busted

As others have mentioned, to run the 5900X your motherboard would of needed a BIOS update to run it but it definitely sounds like you've damaged the socket somehow so are unable to use your old cpu in order to run the update. As you have said you have tried reinstalling the old cpu and have cleared CMOS but cant get anything on your monitor, it sounds like you will need a new motherboard. The B550 or X570 chipset boards are the ones you want to look at if you cant fix the problem and are looking to buy a new board, if you do buy a new board, look to see if it has the 'BIOS Flash' feature which makes updating the BIOS so much easier as you dont need a cpu to update.

Mar 19, 2022
Today I went over the old cpu again and i couldn’t see any bent pins, anything I saw I tried to straighten up the first time around. Seems with the old cpu, it doenst sit flat into the socket anymore. It also won’t lock in. However with the new cpu it sits how it should, and powers on but it won’t boot. Someone suggested I needed to update the bios before using this chip, so I was thinking maybe that’s why it was booting and I can’t update the bios without my old cpu that is busted
As others have mentioned, to run the 5900X your motherboard would of needed a BIOS update to run it but it definitely sounds like you've damaged the socket somehow so are unable to use your old cpu in order to run the update. As you have said you have tried reinstalling the old cpu and have cleared CMOS but cant get anything on your monitor, it sounds like you will need a new motherboard. The B550 or X570 chipset boards are the ones you want to look at if you cant fix the problem and are looking to buy a new board, if you do buy a new board, look to see if it has the 'BIOS Flash' feature which makes updating the BIOS so much easier as you dont need a cpu to update.
Will def consider that, hopefully it isn’t the mobo and just that the old cpu is what was damaged. I’m gonna see if I can get a cpu to update the bios and see if that works and if not then a new mobo it is unfortunately.