Question PC will not boot to any drive, including Windows installation Drive. Windows 10 "Unsupported Processor" error with Gigabyte Gaming 7 motherboard.

Feb 20, 2020
I just recently built a new PC. I connected everything together, and had no issues when installing windows 10 64 bit the first time. It work perfectly for a few days. However, it froze while downloading a game. Ever since them, It will not boot to any drive. I can get to the BIOS with no Issues. I have even tried reinstalling windows. I can't even get the Installation media to boot. (I used Microsoft's tool to create media, and tried several flash drives). Every time I try to boot to any type of drive i get a Blue Screen error saying "Unsupported Processor", but it is a compatible processor, and I had no issue initially. No overclocking has been done. Sometimes when the error happens, it doesn't even load the full message (Partial Text is displayed).

Parts
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170 motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC
Intel 6700K Processor
2X8 Corsair RGB DDR4 3200 Mhz C16
2x Samsung M.2 Drives
1x Samsung SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W Gold+

Things I have done
Took out GPU still same issue.
Issues happens on all drives.
created installation media several times on different USBs (Blue Screens on installation media?!?!?) (Installation media loads fine on my Laptop)
Tried each Memory chip in each slot separately - same issue
Updated the BIOS to latest, and some earlier version, and same issues

Im at a loss. Has anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions?

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
I just recently built a new PC. I connected everything together, and had no issues when installing windows 10 64 bit the first time. It work perfectly for a few days. However, it froze while downloading a game. Ever since them, It will not boot to any drive. I can get to the BIOS with no Issues. I have even tried reinstalling windows. I can't even get the Installation media to boot. (I used Microsoft's tool to create media, and tried several flash drives). Every time I try to boot to any type of drive i get a Blue Screen error saying "Unsupported Processor", but it is a compatible processor, and I had no issue initially. No overclocking has been done. Sometimes when the error happens, it doesn't even load the full message (Partial Text is displayed).

Parts
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170 motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC
Intel 6700K Processor
2X8 Corsair RGB DDR4 3200 Mhz C16
2x Samsung M.2 Drives
1x Samsung SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W Gold+

Things I have done
Took out GPU still same issue.
Issues happens on all drives.
created installation media several times on different USBs (Blue Screens on installation media?!?!?) (Installation media loads fine on my Laptop)
Tried each Memory chip in each slot separately - same issue
Updated the BIOS to latest, and some earlier version, and same issues

Im at a loss. Has anyone seen this before, or have any suggestions?
Check for bent pins on the cpu socket. Also don't run an xmp profile on your RAM.

Also consider installing the ssd into another machine (take out any drives, so windows doesn't start installation on the wrong one - talking of experience) and install it there. Then put the ssd back into your machine.

Feb 20, 2020
Check for bent pins on the cpu socket. Also don't run an xmp profile on your RAM.

Also consider installing the ssd into another machine (take out any drives, so windows doesn't start installation on the wrong one - talking of experience) and install it there. Then put the ssd back into your machine.

There are no bent pins in the CPU Socket, and the XMP profile is not running (Tried enabling that as a test and nothing happened) I have pulled every drive but one and tried that. I have also pulled every Drive out but the Installation media just to see if i could boot to the installation media, and i still get a blue screen. Tried installing windows on a drive using another PC which worked, but then as soon as I put it into my Built PC it it will Blue Screen

Also, The BIOS sees both the Memory and CPU just fine.

Feb 20, 2020

try without the gpu. and only 1 stick of ram, and only the os ssd?

Just an FYI i got a new motherboard to test and it did the same thing. I lowered the Ghz from 4 to 2.7 and it worked with no issues. Any idea why this would fix it?