Question PC will only boot after hitting restart

Jun 24, 2022
My computer does not boot when you hit the power button. It will only boot right away if the PSU was just turned off and back on. When you press the power button the fans spin, the LED's on my GPU and AIO pump light up but the PC does not boot, but when you restart the computer it boots up just fine. Recently I installed an AIO with a cable that attaches to one of the USB headers on my MOBO and then installed a new HDD and most recently a internal USB hub for my fan controllers and my WiFi card. I have already done a fresh install of windows and the problem still persists. I don't know if its related but before I reinstalled Windows some of my games were acting strange, for example Witcher 3 was running fine for around 40 minutes and then the screen froze but the game could still be interacted with, I could drink potions etc. Modern Warfare would run decent but freeze on a dime and when no other resources were being utilized by the game it was still drawing in about 6 GB of RAM, Same story with Rainbow Six Siege but I could only get to loading into the training area when it crashed. I have not downloaded any other games since the reinstall, but I have tried some things I've seen around the internet to help and none have worked so far. I'll list the new components versus the old components.

New -
H100I RGB PRO XT
NZXT AC-IUSBH-M3 Gen 3 Retail Internal 2.0 USB Hub (has a NZXT Fan hub and QTP Link wifi card and router plugged in

WDC 1TB HDD (not partioned after reinstall)

Old -
AMD Ryzen 3 3100 4-core (was overclocked to 4600 @ 1.4V but is now at default settings)
ASRock B550m-HDV
2X8GB of TeamGroup ddr4
Intel SSD 1TB (Main storage and boot device)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (was overclocked but no longer is)

Unclegig2018

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
i have looked at your motherboard online it looks like you have a old motherboard and i am stumped on this one and i would of change motherboards that is my option have you tried contacting asrock by their forum

Jun 24, 2022
The strange thing is I’ve had this computer for almost a year and it only recently started giving me issues, tbh I would think the issue would be with the front panel connectors just because it does turn on and I can get to the BIOS but only after a restart

john TJ

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I suspect that there is something to do with the the AIO you installed .
Check if all the new connections for the AIO are done correctly .

Try if it starts normally with aio disconnected from the USB header

Jun 24, 2022
I suspect that there is something to do with the the AIO you installed .
Check if all the new connections for the AIO are done correctly .

Try if it starts normally with aio disconnected from the USB header
The first thing I did was disconnect the header and the problem was still there and I redid some of the connections but not all

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2 different boots. A cold boot uses data stored in cmos about bios settings and windows from when windows shut down. A Reset does not, it bypasses all windows stuff and forces bios to load last Good config and verify post.

So a boot fails, but a reset works. Sounds like version conflicts in software/drivers being stored in cmos at shutdown and bios is trying to load an error and baulking.

Update your bios and motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard vendor website, just make very sure you read everything, follow directions exactly and have patience, it can look like a dead pc and/or go through several reboots as the bios trains.