[SOLVED] PC with no video or audio after a while

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Hi, I have a problem I hope you can help me since I am not sure what the issue is. Lately when I am playing any games (have tried with apex and bf5) my PC suddently does not have video or audio but it remains turned on so I have to manually turn it off. If I turn it back on right away I will not have video either until I wait for a few minutes and then turn it on.

I have a ryzen 3400g and a rx 580 armor MSI. The temps for the CPU usually is 68c° and the GPU around 82c° but I dont know if its related to that, or could even be the PSU or something else.

Thanks!

Solution
Your GPU is running a little hot under load and it would be an advantage to improve your case thruput with extra fans however it will probably only throttle back when ambient temps reach the upper 30C and Air con is of tremendous help in that situation.
Under full load in a normal temperate climate environment, the card should run 70c - 80C in a well ventilated case. But it is safe up to upper 90Cs. Once the GPU gets around that temp, it will throttle back to protect itself.
If all tests in AIDA64 are showing reasonable results then your good to go.

Artifacts occur due to excessive heat or an Overclock with excessive voltage. If Artifacts continue and the card is still under Warranty then RMA.

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Have you checked your Power settings? maybe the system goes into sleep mode?

Open power options: For Windows 10, Go to your control panel, Then select Power options > and choose when the system goes to sleep.
If that's not it then we will have to trouble shoot.
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I am afraid the settings are turned off, since I used to leave the PC turned on with the monitor turned off when downloading games

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
It does respond after it goes to sleep. When the issue happens, it does not respond at all, even after manually turning it off and back on, it still does not show video until I wait a few minutes to let it rest turned off, then I can turn it on and will work again.

OK you have ruled out Power settings and considering your GPU is at 82C then it could be an Overheating issue.
Download HWinfo64 and AIDA64 then arrange them side by side on your desktop. Run the GPU and other available stress tests for 10-20mins whilst observing your GPU temps under load.

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I enabled the power settings just to confirm and yes I can easily awake the PC after it goes to sleep. I also downloaded AIDA64 extreme edition but I am not sure how to use it. I ran a benchmark I found called Heaven using MSI afterburner and checking Hwinfo using the default settings of Heaven and the GPU temp was constantly between 77-80c and it did not turn off this time. Should I increase the video quality? Also I forgot to mention, yesterday when my PC suddently did not have video, I just turned it off, then today when I turned it on the screen was something like this pinture (I could not take the picture I got scared and just restarted the pc)

In AIDA64, Go to the Tools section and choose "System Stability test"
There are check boxes so choose CPU, FPU and Cache and run the test for 10-20mins whilst keeping an eye on your temps.
There is a separate test for the GPU so run that next.
Do not increase video quality till we find the problem.

At 80C your GPU is close to thermal max and would require extra cooling if so. Test that using a desk fan pointing at the GPU with the front panel off and see if it makes a difference.
What graphic card are you running? and describe your case fan setup?

Your image does not tell me anything regarding your system.

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Hi, I made the tests you mentioned and the results were the following:

With the front panel on, the CPU was 75c, motherboard 42c, and GPU 80c. With the front panel off, the temps for GPU were 78c. I ran the test for 17 minutes each time.

With the image I sent you, just wanted to show you how the screen appeared once when I turned on the PC after the problem happened. I searched on the internet and says its called artifacts, but it only happened once.

The specs are the following:
Motherboard Model: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
CPU Ryzen 3400G
GPU MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB OC

The case is the following one. It has one cooler on the back, two above and one on the front. The case is a Zalman z3 plus, as I have checked only the front cooler is taking air into the case, and the rest are taking it out.

VBCbzjc.jpg

Last edited:
Your GPU is running a little hot under load and it would be an advantage to improve your case thruput with extra fans however it will probably only throttle back when ambient temps reach the upper 30C and Air con is of tremendous help in that situation.
Under full load in a normal temperate climate environment, the card should run 70c - 80C in a well ventilated case. But it is safe up to upper 90Cs. Once the GPU gets around that temp, it will throttle back to protect itself.

Artifacts occur due to excessive heat or an Overclock with excessive voltage. If Artifacts continue and the card is still under Warranty then RMA.

Last edited:
Solution

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018

Thanks for your help. Is there any way to lower the temperature on the GPU just in case? Since this issue happens when it is around 80c - 82c, but so far it has not happened when it is lower than that, and I bought it used a couple of years ago so it does not have warranty anymore.

It's really all about voltage control. The higher the voltage the more heat generated. Dropping voltage means sacrificing performance by reducing voltage and frequency. heat is what you have then you have to find a way of dispersing that heat.

Although your GPU was a good performer generally, It was a budget card and cause it's now out off Warranty and you bought it second hand maybe time for an upgrade.

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
It's really all about voltage control. The higher the voltage the more heat generated. Dropping voltage means sacrificing performance by reducing voltage and frequency. heat is what you have then you have to find a way of dispersing that heat.

Although your GPU was a good performer generally, It was a budget card and cause it's now out off Warranty and you bought it second hand maybe time for an upgrade.
I understand, thanks for the advise I will look for a guide to lower the voltage since I am not in a moment to upgrade right now 😕. Just another question, do you recommend replacing the thermal paste for an artic mx4? Do you think it is worth it? I replaced it a couple of days ago for a no-brand one and noticed no difference. Also, I was googling and found that I could get a kraken g10 and a corsair h55 for water cooling it, do you think it is worth it too?

MX4 is a good TIM (thermal insulation Material) and yes it's worth replacing every 2 years. Remember it's there to fill the tiniest of voids so less is best.

Up to your budget however if you decide to do it, get the G12 and check that it comes with the correct mounting kit. If not your up for another $50 us
The Corsair H55 is a CPU cooler and is no better than a cheap AIR cooler imo.

Last edited:

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
MX4 is a good TIM (thermal insulation Material) and yes it's worth replacing every 2 years. Remember it's there to fill the tiniest of voids so less is best.

Up to your budget however if you decide to do it, get the G12 and check that it comes with the correct mounting kit. If not your up for another $50 us
The Corsair H55 is a CPU cooler and is no better than a cheap AIR cooler imo.
Perfect I will try with the MX4 maybe it makes a difference. And I will check about the kraken g12, but I would need to look for a different water cooling than h55 right?

Thanks for your help.

osvasas

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
Depends on the Overclock you want to achieve.?
To achieve an all core Overclock say to 4.1-4.2GHz you would need a Min 240mm AIO dual rad top mounted setup of Min H100i or equivalent. The Kraken x52 is also a good one if they will fit your case?
I don't want to overclock it just lower the temps. Basically leave it as it is but with a better cooler, so maybe it will stop crashing for a while, while I can save up money to get a new GPU