Question PC won’t let me launch games from steam/battlenet/Epic Games Launcher, etc.

Jul 6, 2024
(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I'm new to computers and I don't know where to put this)

Hi y'all, I recently built my PC a few months ago with the help from a friend who’s very knowledgeable about computers, it’s all kind of a mystery to me. He’s in a different part of the country right now, and my PC has run into quite a serious problem.

When we originally built my PC I was able to play games with no issues. I went to Europe for about a month or two and stored my PC at a friend's apartment. After hooking my PC back up again at my apartment, it started not letting me launch any games. All the games I would try to launch from Steam (and other gaming clients) would become unresponsive on startup. When I would attempt to end the process through task manager, task manager would freeze in a similar fashion, along with any other apps I would try to open.

I’ve revalidated all my files, updated my graphics drivers to the best of my knowledge, updated windows, uninstalled and reinstalled the steam client, and restarted my computer more times that I can count with no change in this behavior. I honestly have no idea what to do or what the problem may be.

As I get more into the territory of messing around in system files and processes, I get more worried that I’m going to mess something up due to my lack of experience with computers.

Does anyone have any advice on what it could be, or what I could do?

It might be a stupid question but is the PC still in the same time zone as to when it was built and if so is the time on Windows correct?

The servers from Steam and Epic get wonky if it does not match where they CAN see where your PC is connecting to internet from but your PC's info has your old time zone.