PC won't boot after adding RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sertre

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm stuck with a problem. After adding RAM, my computer won't boot anymore. My specs are:

Mobo: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Black Edition
GPU: Club 3D R7 260X RoyalQueen
RAM (old): Kingston HyperX Fury blu HX318C10FK2/8 (2x4gb, 1866 mHz, 1.5 V)
RAM (added): Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 (2x4gb, 1866 mHz, 1.5 V)
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
Power: CORSAIR BUILDER CX500

If I remove the new RAM, it'll boot. If I remove the old RAM (but keep the new), it boots. I tried all different socket positions, and I tried updating the BIOS, removing the motherboard battery, restoring factory settings in the BIOS, removing all RAMs before putting them back in, one by one, unplugging the power chord after each one and pressing the powerbutton each time to decharge the motherboard memory. Both the new and the old set are working seperatly, and my motherboard supports up to 4x8gb RAM. The memorysticks are (afaik) exactly the same except for the color (old is blue, new is black).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I spent hours on this today, and I can't seem to find any more suggestions that I haven't found on google before.

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
The reason you are seeing the different screen is because when you put the new RAM in, you used slots DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 while with the old RAM you used slots DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2
So, when you go into the OC tweaker screen it defaults to showing the first slot DDR3_A1 and since you didn't have the old RAM in that slot it shows nothing. Put the old RAM back in and either use the DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 slots or change the slot you are looking at to DDR3_A2 and grab a screen of that. May as well do that for DDR3_B2 as well. Then I would do the new RAM again, and grab a shot of the DDR3_B1 screen as well. So we have 4 pics of the timings, 1 for each slot. Then we can see if there is any difference.