Question Pc wont boot after installing HDD via sata and booting from it. can´t access bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2020
I'll try to be as detailed as possible, if you need more information i'll try to explain more, this was my first build and i'm new to this world.

My system:

Main drive: SSD M.2 Wd 250Gb Blue M.2 PCIe NVME Fs Color Blue
Secondary drive: Western Digital HDD 1TB Sata 3 6.0Gbs Caviar Blue
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz Ballistix Sport LT WHITE
Processor: Intel i5 7400 3.5 GHZ LGA 1151 Kaby Lake
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H LGA
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB DDR5 Windforce OC
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 600W 80 Plus White
Tower: AEROCOOL SI-5100 WINDOW
Keyboard: Razer cynosa chroma
Mouse: Razer abyssus

I have the following issue, when i connected an HDD via sata on my PC (which has windows installed) and booting into it after installing and preparing windows during several minutes i was able to navigate through the system of my PC from work and do what i wanted. then i turned off my PC. Until now, everything was going as expected.
Then i wanted to switch back and to boot into my M.2 ssd from the bios, i saved and exit but an error message that i dont remember showed up after booting and then i had to restart. When i wanted to turn on my pc again it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
After that i was never again able to enter bios, despite of it showing the keys combination to enter when i press a key it won't register it and that message appears again.
I think that my mistake was that i should have removed the ssd and the main hard drive before installing the new one.

I already tried to take of the CMOS battery to see if my bios appears when i turn on but nothing happened.

I hope you guys can help me and be able to boot windows from my ssd as usual and its files had not been damaged. Thanks!

PS: ever since i installed my second drive a couple of months ago when i turn on my pc it does 5 beeps but i've ignored it as it used to work jus fine. I don't know if this can relate to my actual problem.
PS2: when i bought the ssd i formated windows from my hdd and unplugged it, then i installed windows on the ssd and plugged the hdd

Jun 8, 2020
After struggling for many hours I finally managed to enter bios by bridging the clr_cmos pins and then my keyboard was dtected, then I changed my ssd to be the first boot option and it worked!

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Hi!

Sad things.... firstly, it is common, that people insert id mimicking cpus into slightly incompatible motherboards (mobos), like the 6 core ones. I had a similar case, and it really gives a hard time, but with patience it can resolve, or get better, and better. Then it gets worse again, but it was ok, or better.

I had boot looping problems, and yes, upgrading bios could help, but that is a routine, which has like a high percentage of ruining your pc entirely. not sure why.

Second, yes, quick boot prevents you from entering the bios. But you can solve that.

But, sadly, it has to do with ms-dos 5.0, where something like a parallel, a com port asynchrony was introduced, with the eight byte, being a flag of some sort. That was really good.

But, it is no more possible to enter bioses from distancing now, whereas those were the good times. Think about boot from lan.

Third, I'm sad to tell you, but your slack of metal is excellent, but your miditower is really not a good one. But, perhaps you can improve it?

cheers!!! yolo

Status
Not open for further replies.