Question PC won't boot any video after CPU upgrade

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
Hi there guys.

I got a few issues after upgrading my PC, seems the GPU stopped working.

I don't know if the PSU may not provide enough watts to power them on for some reason.

Here's the spec:

Asus prime A320M-K
Ryzen 3 1200 (Old CPU)
RX 5500XT
Thermaltake Smart 500W

However, the new CPU I tried to use today was a Ryzen 5 5600X (Of course, I've updated the BIOS before doing these upgrades into the motherboard.)

Please note: Unfortunately, after upgrading the CPU and trying to boot, the GPU does not display any video also I used the old one to make sure everything was ok but there's no video.

Do you guys have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advanced.

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
Looks like your motherboard does not support Ryzen 5 The Motherboard website states
AMD AM4 Socket for 3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen. The old CPU was supported being a Ryzen 3
Are you sure? I've read if you update the Moba BIOS to the 5862 version it will handle the Ryzen 5 5600X (Vermeer) (3.7GHz,65W,L3:32M,6C)

However, I still have no clue about why the entire PC won't boot after doing the swap to the Ryzen 3 1200... It is supposed to provide a video.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Okay I read the bios update enabled the CPU to be used. When you say no video do you mean your RX 5500XT Cause the 5600X does not have integrated graphics. Try resetting the bios to default than reboot.

Dave8671

Distinguished
What was your bios version before you upgraded it?

Cause this was a message on the bios update page
"If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system".

The latest BIOS update as of 09. 01.23 is 6204

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
What was your bios version before you upgraded it?

Cause this was a message on the bios update page
"If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system".

The latest BIOS update as of 09. 01.23 is 6204
Hey, there, the latest update that I installed on it was: BIOS 6202 - 2023/07/27.

However, I know the 5600X doesn't have integrated video. I'm using the RX 5500XT. As a matter of fact, I was playing yesterday night before the chaos.

This issue started as soon as I placed the new CPU and boom! The GPU did not boot (Fans not spinning and no LED lights).

Note: In this phase, I'm starting to think maybe is the PSU that isn't powering them due to a faulty cable... Maybe I am wrong.

Then, I swapped it back to the old R3, and the GPU started to run as it was supposed to do. But it comes with a surprise, no display video.

I tried to clear the CMOS but no luck.

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
PS. I tried to use a Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 just to make sure the CPU was OK and maybe to get some video signal with the Quadro... But still no luck.

Dave8671

Distinguished
For power supplies I recommend one of this brands in the link. I only have purchased one of the Thermaltake models which was modular though the cable connectors in the box were not the right type for the model I ordered. I tried to talk to their support but after a week I returned the and got a corsair. Never have a issues with these. Seasonic brand is the one that builds Corsair.

For a future proof I suggest a 550 or a 650 some of these GPU's are power hungry now days. I hope its your PSU and not your modo.

Power supplies

Reactions: ElVisTek-1337

sonofjesse

Distinguished
This is one big reason I love CPU's that support video such as intel/AM5 or the G series.

if this was 5700G and the onboard worked, but not the video card we know its the video card or PSU most likely. But since the 5600x does not have onboard graphics it makes more trickly.

If you have tried two GPU's its doubtful a GPU issue (unless the motherboard just died for zero reason, highly not likley)

I suggest you put the old CPU back in (As it was) and see if it works.

If it works 100% on the old CPU and not the new CPU, I say the new CPU was damaged on install.

If the old CPU works and not the new CPU.

Then I would try a newer/better Power supply. I like things off the top tier list, cause they GROW with you, though multiples builds. For example I'm on the 3rd build with the same 1000W Corsair HXI. Runs great zero issues.

I just made a review of me doing something very close to this and no major issues.

Hope you get it sorted soon and let us know.

Reactions: ElVisTek-1337

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
UPDATE:
I don't what happened, but today the PC has woken up as if nothing happened with the Ryzen 3 1200... So... I decided to update to the last BIOS 6204 - 08/14/2023

There's one question that has not been answered yet. Why was the GPU not working (Not powering on neither the fan working) as soon as I installed the R5 5600X...

CC: @Dave8671 and @sonofjesse

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
UPDATE:
I don't what happened, but today the PC has woken up as if nothing happened with the Ryzen 3 1200... So... I decided to update to the last BIOS 6204 - 08/14/2023

There's one question that has not been answered yet. Why was the GPU not working (Not powering on neither the fan working) as soon as I installed the R5 5600X...

CC: @Dave8671 and @sonofjesse

PS. I'm using the RX 5500XT... I'm not sure if I have to try once more with the R5 5600X to find out if the PSU was the culprit... Or if the CPU was damaged.

ElVisTek-1337

Commendable
Feb 4, 2021
LAST UPDATE:

After cracking my head (Without any ideas about the reason behind this case) I can finally close this thread with the following conclusions.

After swapping to the new CPU, and playing with the CMOs for a while it seems the PC started to re-run itself (The GPU took a while to turn on, the LEDs light were the first ones to gather energy and then the fans started to spin, then they stopped for a while x2 times) Until the GPU stabilize itself and started to run without issues and with a video signal.

The AMD Adrenalin software changed completely (For some reason it pop-ups as the AMD Creator Edition).

I've tested the CPU with some games and everything works fine.

I appreciate all the help within this thread, I hope some information from this topic may be useful for others :)

Have a good one!

sonofjesse

Distinguished
The AMD software should not change unless you have auto updates on. Be sure to always install the latest drivers.

Chipset drivers and all MB drivers.

Glad its working!!

P.S I have had good luck with the Corsair line of PS's.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I always buy a CPU with graphics for reasons like this post. Cause users can take out the Dedicated GPU and than use the integrated graphics for problem solving. I am not sure I agree with GPU stabilize. The drivers for the GPU can be the issue or than it is the hardware if not the drivers. Cleaning out all the old drivers is also the key.