[SOLVED] PC Won't boot with certain GPU installed

Bulger

Commendable
Jan 24, 2020
So recently I put together a new system and it was working fine for about two days until I was in the middle of playing a
game and all of a sudden my screen goes grey and the whole system crashes. I then power down my PC and when i go
to turn it back on it wont boot, I cant even get to the BIOS screen. Everything is receiving power (fans are on, rgb, and peripherals) but the display wont turn on.

The fact that the VGA debug LED being on, and the fact that if i put a GPU from an older rig in (amd r9-360), it works fine pretty much say its a GPU issue
I'm thinking maybe its because i need a stronger PSU but that wouldn't make sense because it ran fine under stress for the two days beforehand.
If you have any idea how to help or what might be causing this please let me know

Specs:
Biotar Radeon RX-560 4GB
Ryzen 5-2600x
MSI B450M Pro M2 Max - Micro ATX motherboard
8GB RAM(I was accidentally sold 8 instead of 16)
EVGA 450 Watt Bronze 80 plus
Standard HDD

Solution
I am at least 90% sure (if the gpu is okay) that your PSU is not okay. get something like Corsair CX550 550W 80plus Bronze or

Antec NeoEco 550M 550 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze or

Gamdias Kratos M1-600B 600 Watt 80+ Bronze (the best option because you get 600W 80+bronze @similar price) or
any reliable 80+ bronze psu you like but minimum 550W continuous.

I had similar problems but after I changed my psu to a "more wattage psu" my problem was solved. My pc also used to crash with the gray screen when I had a lower wattage powersupply.
Remember, still most Amd Gpus are more power hungry than Nvidia.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
I am at least 90% sure (if the gpu is okay) that your PSU is not okay. get something like Corsair CX550 550W 80plus Bronze or

Gamdias Kratos M1-600B 600 Watt 80+ Bronze (the best option because you get 600W 80+bronze @similar price) or

I had similar problems but after I changed my psu to a "more wattage psu" my problem was solved. My pc also used to crash with the gray screen when I had a lower wattage powersupply.

Last edited:
Solution

Bulger

Commendable
Jan 24, 2020

I do think upgrading my PSU could help, I tried putting the GPU in an older rig and still got no display pretty much confirming its a GPU issue. You are right though and as soon as possible i'm going to try and get a better PSU.

Reactions: hakimul.islam