[SOLVED] Pc wont boot without second ssd installed.

Tom Sheldon

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
In August of last year I rebuilt my PC with new components, I didn't really think that I would have issues just booting with my new hardware as I haven't in the past. After finishing my build my motherboard won't see the windows instance on my ssd so I can't even boot to do a backup and then a fresh install. I borrowed another drive to install onto and then recover my data and then do a fresh install. I've done all that so it works now but if I take the second drive out to return it, I can no longer boot to windows, I get the same issue as before (just goes straight to bios) I can see my drive there but it won't boot from it. I'm assuming there is something on this second drive that is making the boot work and when you go to boot it gives the option of booting into either one. I would like to replace this drive with a second m.2 drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or how I can fix it.

Thanks

-Matt

Solution
In August of last year I rebuilt my PC with new components, I didn't really think that I would have issues just booting with my new hardware as I haven't in the past. After finishing my build my motherboard won't see the windows instance on my ssd so I can't even boot to do a backup and then a fresh install. I borrowed another drive to install onto and then recover my data and then do a fresh install. I've done all that so it works now but if I take the second drive out to return it, I can no longer boot to windows, I get the same issue as before (just goes straight to bios) I can see my drive there but it won't boot from it. I'm assuming there is something on this second drive that is making the boot work and when you go to boot...
In August of last year I rebuilt my PC with new components, I didn't really think that I would have issues just booting with my new hardware as I haven't in the past. After finishing my build my motherboard won't see the windows instance on my ssd so I can't even boot to do a backup and then a fresh install. I borrowed another drive to install onto and then recover my data and then do a fresh install. I've done all that so it works now but if I take the second drive out to return it, I can no longer boot to windows, I get the same issue as before (just goes straight to bios) I can see my drive there but it won't boot from it. I'm assuming there is something on this second drive that is making the boot work and when you go to boot it gives the option of booting into either one. I would like to replace this drive with a second m.2 drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or how I can fix it.

Thanks

-Matt
Disconnect all drives but the boot drive. Run windows and try to repair. If that fails wipe the drive and do a clean install. In the future remember to only have the boot drive connected when installing windows. After the system is up, running and stable you can connect additional drives.

Solution