Question PC won't connect with 1 Gbit

Nov 7, 2022
Hello,
I've had this Problem across 2 PC's now. They seem to be locked at 1000mbit and won't accept the 1GBit connection. Oddly enough, everytime I did a hard reset on my PC it did get the 1Gbit for a few hours/days but then went back to 1000mbit.
My setup is quite confusing but it works with another PC downstairs. We passed a LAN-cable from the router through a Lan Hub and from there into a LAN outlet in my room. From there it goes into my PC. My Motherboard is brand new and supports 1GBit as does the router and the Motherboard of my old PC.
The switch would normally shine 2 lights when a cable is connected, or at least it does this with every other cable connected, just not with my PC, then it only has one light on.
I already tried the thing with the duplex and auto negotiation, but that didn't do the trick.
I already bought a new CAT6 cable for my PC, which also didn't fix the issue.
If y'all have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it, since I simply don't know what to do anymore and really don't want to wait ages until I download a new game xD.

Specs:
Windows 11
MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B550F Gaming (Wifi)

Lutfij

Titan
everytime I did a hard reset on my PC
Can you walk us through what you did there? Hard reset as in clearing the CMOS or reset the OS?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? For the sake of relevance, please mention the make and model of the router.

Nov 7, 2022
everytime I did a hard reset on my PC
Can you walk us through what you did there? Hard reset as in clearing the CMOS or reset the OS?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? For the sake of relevance, please mention the make and model of the router.
I hard reset my OS.
As for the BIOS version I dont exactly know how to get it, but it should be up to date. And the Router is a Fritzbox 6590 Cable

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Like I let windows delete everything from my drives and revert all changes made in the settings. I think you call it a factory reset.

As in you did a full install of Windows on a drive you completely formatted? You completely wiped the hard drive, installed Windows using install media, on that fresh hard drive?

A "factory reset" is almost entirely used when a prebuilt is restored to the state the system integrator put it in, using an image of the drive stores in a recovery partition.

Sorry to be so nitpicky, but people will give better advice when the steps that are taken are described not simply named.

Reactions: Lutfij
Nov 7, 2022
As in you did a full install of Windows on a drive you completely formatted? You completely wiped the hard drive, installed Windows using install media, on that fresh hard drive?

A "factory reset" is almost entirely used when a prebuilt is restored to the state the system integrator put it in, using an image of the drive stores in a recovery partition.

Sorry to be so nitpicky, but people will give better advice when the steps that are taken are described not simply named.
Uhhhh well I just went into the Windows Options --> System and then Reset the PC, deleted all my personal data and let windows reinstall itself. I really don't know what else to call it other than a factory reset.
I would describe it as setting the PC back to the way it was before it was booted up the first time. No data on the drives except the OS.
I hope you know what I mean

So try the simple thing first. Move your pc near the router and use a short cable and plug it in there. This will mostly eliminate the pc as the problem. I guess you could check the obvious and be sure the port is set to auto speed in the ethernet nic settings.

From your description of the switch I suspect your pc is only running at 100mbps. You can check the documentation on the switch for what the lights mean.

It almost has to be one of the cables. The problem is a bad cable can work on some machine but not others. This is even more true lately with all the fake ethernet cable being sold. This fake cable does not actually meet the standards to be certfied as a ethernet cable but some device can tolerate out of spec cable better. The 2.5 ports are less tollerant of bad cable paritally because they will try to test if the cable can run 2.5g. Also a perfectly good cable could have just failed. All it takes is 1 wire to become slightly loose in the end or get a crack in it and it will not work.

You only need cat5e but the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable you see all over the place).

It tends to be easier to just buy new cables for the ones you can. Your in wall cables though will be more of a challenge to replace. Luckily it is almost never the wire itself that fails it is one of the ends. I would remove the wall plate and look at the wire carefully. Maybe one of the wires has become loose. Also check the color pattern appears to be correct. You can if you are very careful remove the wires one at time cut a small amount off and repunch them to the jack. They also sell replacement keystone that go into most wall plates if you think the jack itself was damaged.

Nov 7, 2022
So try the simple thing first. Move your pc near the router and use a short cable and plug it in there. This will mostly eliminate the pc as the problem. I guess you could check the obvious and be sure the port is set to auto speed in the ethernet nic settings.

From your description of the switch I suspect your pc is only running at 100mbps. You can check the documentation on the switch for what the lights mean.

It almost has to be one of the cables. The problem is a bad cable can work on some machine but not others. This is even more true lately with all the fake ethernet cable being sold. This fake cable does not actually meet the standards to be certfied as a ethernet cable but some device can tolerate out of spec cable better. The 2.5 ports are less tollerant of bad cable paritally because they will try to test if the cable can run 2.5g. Also a perfectly good cable could have just failed. All it takes is 1 wire to become slightly loose in the end or get a crack in it and it will not work.

You only need cat5e but the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable you see all over the place).

It tends to be easier to just buy new cables for the ones you can. Your in wall cables though will be more of a challenge to replace. Luckily it is almost never the wire itself that fails it is one of the ends. I would remove the wall plate and look at the wire carefully. Maybe one of the wires has become loose. Also check the color pattern appears to be correct. You can if you are very careful remove the wires one at time cut a small amount off and repunch them to the jack. They also sell replacement keystone that go into most wall plates if you think the jack itself was damaged.
Thank you so much, I will try that.
I will let you know if it worked :D

Nov 7, 2022

Ok I connected my laptop with the cable that normally goes into my PC and oddly enough it measured the normal downloadspeed I would normally get. My PC is still slow tho so I really dont know what to do anymore :|
The Problem needs to come from my PC right? But I don't know how, since the problem persisted across 2 different PC's

So let move back a bit.

What does port connect at. You say 1000mbps but that is 1gbit.

Why do you think the pc is slow what tests have you done that show that.

If you are running at 100mbps then you have 2 options. You have a bad cable or you have a bad port. The only way to fix a bad port is to replace the motherboard or buy a add in board. It is very rare for a port to fail.
The problem with bad cables is some machine will tolerate a out of spec cables better than other ones. In some was it would be nice if they would just not work at all when they go bad.

Nov 7, 2022
So let move back a bit.

What does port connect at. You say 1000mbps but that is 1gbit.

Why do you think the pc is slow what tests have you done that show that.

If you are running at 100mbps then you have 2 options. You have a bad cable or you have a bad port. The only way to fix a bad port is to replace the motherboard or buy a add in board. It is very rare for a port to fail.
The problem with bad cables is some machine will tolerate a out of spec cables better than other ones. In some was it would be nice if they would just not work at all when they go bad.
So that it reads 1000mbps is my mistake. It actually says that but only if I connect it into the port in my room. Secondly my Internet is slow, relative to the theoretical speed I normally would have, not my PC. I didn't clarify that correctly.
Now to the cable and the Port. I have deducted that my Cable shouldn't be the problem, since my Laptop gets the fast internet speed with the same cable. It would be really unfortunate if the Port is the Problem, since I had the same problem with my previous PC. There is also the fact that if I reset my PC as I described previously, I get the fast internet connection too.
I assume it needs to be a problem with some kind of software or anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS