[SOLVED] PC won't detect my external SSD. Could it because I installed a new motherboard?

Oct 18, 2019
I just upgraded my motherboard to an MSI B450 Tomahawk and ever since then, my PC has been unable to detect my Sandisk external SSD. It is not an issue with the SSD or the cable because my laptop was able to detect it just fine. I tried plugging the external SSD into every USB port on my PC with no luck. Other USB devices like my mouse and keyboard seem to be working fine though. Any idea on how I might be able to fix this?

Solution
What OS is this? Sometimes a drive can have issues getting a drive letter, The computer can see it, but it won't show up in My Computer until it has a drive letter. To check this (if in Windows), go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. If you drive is listed, right click and select "change drive letter and Paths." Use the Add or Change button on the next screen, depending on what options in gives you.

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
I assume you're using Windows, does it detect any other USB storage devices like a simple thumb drive? It could be a setting in your BIOS under the USB controller options, you might check if there's anything turned off there.

What OS is this? Sometimes a drive can have issues getting a drive letter, The computer can see it, but it won't show up in My Computer until it has a drive letter. To check this (if in Windows), go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. If you drive is listed, right click and select "change drive letter and Paths." Use the Add or Change button on the next screen, depending on what options in gives you.

Solution