[SOLVED] PC won't turn on. No lights, no fans, nothing.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
Specs: R5 AMD processor, EVGA 650 80 plus gold power supply, R9 380 graphics card, 8 GB Ripjaws RAM, ASROCK B450 Gaming K4 motherboard.

So I built this computer about a year ago (some of the parts were new, some were from an old build) and it's worked pretty well since then; no real problems. I decided to upgrade the memory with an extra 8GB of RAM by adding the exact same set beside the old one (since my mobo has 4 memory slots).

After I connected the new RAM, I turned the power supply back on and tried to boot it up.... Nothing. No lights, no fans, no sparks. I checked the wiring in the back and there was a loose wire, but connecting it didn't fix anything; it was to the LED strip in the front, I think.

So my first thought was to rule out the switch. I tried unplugging the switch from the motherboard and jumping the prongs with a paperclip. No dice. Then I tried turning on the power supply with a paperclip. That worked fine, actually. The fans booted up and all the lights came on, but no graphics and the keyboard didn't light up.

I'm thinking that it's a motherboard problem. The main issue I have is that I'm strapped for cash and can't really drop that kinda money on a motherboard just to find out that it's something else. Is there a way to make sure it's the motherboard? Could it be something else?

Solution
Alright well I guess it's time to buy a new CPU. Thanks for the help. I'll update the thread again on whether that fixes the problem or not. The bent pins wouldn't damage the motherboard when I tried to put them in would it? Because if I have to buy a new motherboard and a new processor, I might as well upgrade them both.
I'm not sure whether the motherboard would be damaged or not, with Intel chips which have pins on the motherboard, bent pins don't damage the CPU, but with pins on the CPU I don't know if the motherboard will be damaged or not... The socket is made of plastic so it shouldn't be likely that some bent pins would damage a plastic socket, but again I can't say for sure.
I decided to upgrade the memory with an extra 8GB of RAM by adding the exact same set beside the old one (since my mobo has 4 memory slots).
It looks like the RAM are not compatible each other. That is the most common problem when you add other RAM, I mean you mixed the two single stick together.

You may try to use the new RAM only to boot the PC, if you can that means the RAM (old + new) did not work well, when you added them together.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
It looks like the RAM are not compatible each other. That is the most common problem when you add other RAM, I mean you mixed the two single stick together.

You may try to use the new RAM only to boot the PC, if you can that means the RAM (old + new) did not work well, when you added them together.

The RAM I ordered is exactly the same as the old set, but I had the same idea. I tried booting with just the old RAM and just the old RAM. Still no indication that it's even plugged in unless you jump the power supply.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
Have you checked all the connections in the PC? Motherboard power, CPU power, GPU power?

Yes they're all good and their respective fans turn on if I jump the power supply's wires going into the motherboard. The switch pins won't jump, though, and the computer doesn't actually seem to boot up under any circumstance.

Yes they're all good and their respective fans turn on if I jump the power supply's wires going into the motherboard. The switch pins won't jump, though, and the computer doesn't actually seem to boot up under any circumstance.
There's a slight chance you killed a component(most likely motherboard) due to electrostatic discharge when you were installing your new RAM. Since your PC seems to power on with the paperclip test, but not by shorting the power switch, I would guess it's the motherboard, but of course the only way to be 100% sure would be to replace it and see if the issue is resolved. I would recommend contacting ASRock support for any further instructions they might have before returning the board to them.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
That did not fix it. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss on what it could be. I would think that the motherboard would at least light up if there's a CPU problem, right? That's the only other thing I can think of. I did have to remove the CPU to install the RAM (the cooler was on backwards before and it worked fine until I went to install the other RAM sticks; then it was in the way). That might be it. I don't know. I just don't want to waste any more money replacing parts that aren't broken.

I've checked all the wiring probably 10 times at this point. Took the opportunity to kinda straighten up my cable management, so that's good I guess. Nothing has changed aside from that.

That did not fix it. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss on what it could be. I would think that the motherboard would at least light up if there's a CPU problem, right? That's the only other thing I can think of. I did have to remove the CPU to install the RAM (the cooler was on backwards before and it worked fine until I went to install the other RAM sticks; then it was in the way). That might be it. I don't know. I just don't want to waste any more money replacing parts that aren't broken.

I've checked all the wiring probably 10 times at this point. Took the opportunity to kinda straighten up my cable management, so that's good I guess. Nothing has changed aside from that.
It could also still be the PSU, because the paperclip test only tells if a power supply can turn on or not - it doesn't test anything else. From your description of the issue it seems like the PC doesn't get power at all without jumping the PSU cable, so maybe that cable or the whole PSU itself is fried. So it turns on but it not able to power up everything properly. You should return the PSU to EVGA and get a replacement from them under warranty. That unit is supposed to have a 10 year warranty.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
It could also still be the PSU...

Alright thanks, I'll check it out. I have a multi-meter so I'll test it tomorrow and see if it throws any red flags. From what I remember, testing the PSU with a multi-meter is unreliable if it's a problem under load, but it works well if PCs won't turn on at all. Something like that. Luckily the PSU is still under warranty. Just have to find the card... it's 2:30, though, so I'll do it tomorrow and update later. Thanks again.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
Well, I checked the power supply and it seems to be working alright. I also hooked up my old power supply (a 550 from another build) and it had the same exact problem: wouldn't start with the power button, the lights turned on with the paperclip, but no signs of life aside from that.

While I had the multi-meter out, I went ahead and tested the continuity of the power switch. The power switch checked out fine, but that doesn't mean that the board the switch plugs into isn't bad, I guess. I don't think that's the problem, though, since it won't boot with the paperclip? I don't know. Like I said, I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Jun 27, 2020
Have you checked the Cpu and if any of the pins are bent or broken. If not you might have to check the GPU but the pc should still turn on without the GPU. Im not sure what spare pc parts you have which you can check one by one but that would be my Idea and i know how this feels im still waiting to get my motherboard replacement sent back i built my new pc and the ethernet adaptor wasnt working on it and i tried to fix it for 5 hours nothing and when i updated the drivers again it wouldnt post.

Last edited:

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
Have you checked the Cpu and if any of the pins are bent or broken. If not you might have to check the GPU but the pc should still turn on without the GPU.

Yeah, I looked at the CPU and it looks like it has some bent pins so... that's nice. Would the motherboard not at least try to boot up without the CPU, though? Because I would think the motherboard would at least supply power to everything when I hit the power button, even if it did just display a black screen.

Sorry about your computer, dude. Hope you get it fixed soon. I hate this troubleshooting stuff.

Yeah, I looked at the CPU and it looks like it has some bent pins so... that's nice. Would the motherboard not at least try to boot up without the CPU, though? Because I would think the motherboard would at least supply power to everything when I hit the power button, even if it did just display a black screen.

Sorry about your computer, dude. Hope you get it fixed soon. I hate this troubleshooting stuff.
No, if the CPU is faulty the motherboard will not turn the system on, because the CPU needs to perform some basic tasks/checks as well to turn on the system, so without the CPU the motherboard doesn't power anything on.

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
... so without the CPU the motherboard doesn't power anything on.

Alright well I guess it's time to buy a new CPU. Thanks for the help. I'll update the thread again on whether that fixes the problem or not. The bent pins wouldn't damage the motherboard when I tried to put them in would it? Because if I have to buy a new motherboard and a new processor, I might as well upgrade them both.

I'm not sure whether the motherboard would be damaged or not, with Intel chips which have pins on the motherboard, bent pins don't damage the CPU, but with pins on the CPU I don't know if the motherboard will be damaged or not... The socket is made of plastic so it shouldn't be likely that some bent pins would damage a plastic socket, but again I can't say for sure.

Solution

cheesemars

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
bent pins don't damage the CPU, but with pins on the CPU...

You're right, I was able to straighten them out and it came right on. For anyone wondering how I did it: I have one of those desk lamps with a magnifying glass on it and I was able to use it to see the pins better. I took a craft knife, slipped it in under the bent pin, then slowly pushed up and over in the direction I needed it to go. It took some practice and I was sweating the whole time, but it worked.

Also, I wasn't able to get all the pins perfectly straight, so I had to push the CPU in the socket, rather than it just dropping in under its own weight. I know; it made me cringe too. I'm just happy to have my computer back. Thank you guys for all the help!

You're right, I was able to straighten them out and it came right on. For anyone wondering how I did it: I have one of those desk lamps with a magnifying glass on it and I was able to use it to see the pins better. I took a craft knife, slipped it in under the bent pin, then slowly pushed up and over in the direction I needed it to go. It took some practice and I was sweating the whole time, but it worked.

Also, I wasn't able to get all the pins perfectly straight, so I had to push the CPU in the socket, rather than it just dropping in under its own weight. I know; it made me cringe too. I'm just happy to have my computer back. Thank you guys for all the help!
Glad to know the issue is fixed, and yeah I'd probably sweat a lot too if I had to straighten my CPU's pins xD.