[SOLVED] PC works one day and then won't work day after ?

PCguy12345

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
So one day I wanted to turn on my pc and it wouldn't turn on. I literally had used it the day before. I basically unassembled the PC and reassembled and like magic it worked. This has happened a couple times even when I wouldn't move any parts. For about 3 days it won't turn on and for 3 days it will turn on and repeat. I'm posting this now as it isn't working and i've got projects on the computer I need to finish ASAP. My parts are:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte B450M gaming motherboard
2x8GB 3200mhz ADATA RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB
500W gigabyte 80+ Bronze PSU
NZXT h400i case
and one SSD and one hard drive

The only parts I have tested is the power supply, I did the paperclip test and it turned on fine. Also a light in the case turns on which indicated that some power is working however RAM and GPU lights don't turn on.

Very bizarre issue and I really need help. Thanks

Solution
That's the first thing that screams, don't use. Just to confirm can you state the model of the unit? Gigabyte is the brand and 500W is the wattage, while 80+ Bronze is the efficiency rating.

You need a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system. The PSU IMHO is the likely culprit, either that or you have a grounding issue in your crib.

Paper clip tests do squat, since they ask you to induce a load on one of the ends of the PSU, it does not tell you or anyone how much power the PSU can effectively output to parts/a system. So the paperclip test only shows it to fire up, not it's power output.

Lutfij

Titan
That's the first thing that screams, don't use. Just to confirm can you state the model of the unit? Gigabyte is the brand and 500W is the wattage, while 80+ Bronze is the efficiency rating.

You need a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power for the entire system. The PSU IMHO is the likely culprit, either that or you have a grounding issue in your crib.

Paper clip tests do squat, since they ask you to induce a load on one of the ends of the PSU, it does not tell you or anyone how much power the PSU can effectively output to parts/a system. So the paperclip test only shows it to fire up, not it's power output.

Solution

PCguy12345

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019

Yeah that makes sense, so do you recommend purchasing a new power supply? Edit: I just tried using my old RX 570 GPU still nothing.

Last edited: