PCI Express

I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison to
AGP or just junk?

There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
newst vid card.

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison
> AGP or just junk?

geoff

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
> it in comparison to AGP or just junk?

pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
issues

it's well overdue

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
> resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
> newst vid card.

I think it should make a difference if you have video capture (eg input) on
your video output card. Isn't AGP only fast in one direction? If you want to
record and watch a TV program at the same time I think a PCI Express should
be much better. Particularly HDTV.

... but I might be wrong.

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
> resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
> newst vid card.
>
> "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
>> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison
>> AGP or just junk?

dawg, do you have a link to a difference under the circumstances you state?

--
Derek

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
> > resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
> > newst vid card.
> >
> > "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
> >> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in
comparison
> >> AGP or just junk?
> >>

> dawg, do you have a link to a difference under the circumstances you
state?

> --
> Derek
>

> HMM,I think I got to the test from a link at Hardocp.com They tested a few
cards of each type.Dang,I'll se if I can find it.

>> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
>> it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
>
> pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
> issues
>
> it's well overdue

So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp slotted mobo and
agb gfx card?

Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

>>> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
>>> it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
>>
>> pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
>> issues
>>
>> it's well overdue
>
> So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp slotted mobo and
> agb gfx card?
>
> Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

Will you be upgrading the graphics card without replacing the motherboard
in the future?

--
Derek

geoff

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
> > > I held out this long for PCI express, is it really
> > > worth it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
> >
> > pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp
> > bus's more than speed issues
> >
> > it's well overdue
>
> So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp
> slotted mobo and agb gfx card?
>
> Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

like i said it's an upgrade issue not a speed one
you want pci express stuff really

agp will be useless on your next pc, any new motherboard will have pci
express, and pci express video cards will be cheaper than AGP ones (well
better value for money)