[SOLVED] PcPartPicker List Help

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey, so i am trying to set up the specs for this PC - my uncle who is a computer tech by trade is helping me build it, but i would really like to do this part without having to constantly bother him with additions and subtractions from a build

Anyway i've done some research, figured out what parts i can actually get shipped; then came up with this list

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NW9bBc

Any of you PC Savvy that can spot any huge problems? the only major Compatibility issue the site detects it claims can be solved with a BIOS update so i figured that is likely not a problem

Solution
Compatibility issue the site detects it claims can be solved with a BIOS update so i figured that is likely not a problem
Yeah, it's not really a problem, as the selected board has a bios Q-flash feature, letting you update the bios as needed using a pendrive.

As for any potential flags I see:
1)That ram kit isn't very good. The loose timings nullify the speed advantage. Both high speed and low/tighter timings are important on Ryzen.
3600 14-15-15-35, or 3600 16-18-18-36 would be better.

2)The iCUE 7000 is HUGE.
If what's in the list is all you're going to put in there, it's going to look pretty empty inside. A full custom loop system would fill it up better.
Perhaps the reason you picked the 7000 over the smaller 5000 and...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Compatibility issue the site detects it claims can be solved with a BIOS update so i figured that is likely not a problem
Yeah, it's not really a problem, as the selected board has a bios Q-flash feature, letting you update the bios as needed using a pendrive.

1)That ram kit isn't very good. The loose timings nullify the speed advantage. Both high speed and low/tighter timings are important on Ryzen.

2)The iCUE 7000 is HUGE.
If what's in the list is all you're going to put in there, it's going to look pretty empty inside. A full custom loop system would fill it up better.
Perhaps the reason you picked the 7000 over the smaller 5000 and 4000 is due to the other 2 not supporting a 140mm fan at the rear..?

3)1000w is overkill, unless you're putting one of those RTX 3090 or 3080Ti in there before long.
RMX 750 would be plenty for the gpu that I suspect is acting as a placeholder?

4)Beware with the Gen 4 NVMe.
These devices need more active cooling than the previous models, otherwise the controller runs hot with little effort and throttles itself often, and there goes the any speed advantage it might've had...
Do not install it in the top slot, above the gpu - that's the worse place for it.
Consider the 980 non-Pro as an alternative.

Solution
This should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor | $559.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | $109.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $289.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Corsair MP600 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $364.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card |-
Case | Lian Li LANCOOL II-W ATX Mid Tower Case | $109.99 @ Adorama
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $129.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1714.89
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-01 00:56 EDT-0400 |

Last edited:

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015

2)The iCUE 7000 is HUGE.
Perhaps the reason you picked the 7000 over the smaller 5000 and 4000 is due to the other 2 not supporting a 140mm fan at the rear..?

3)1000w is overkill, unless you're putting one of those RTX 3090 or 3080Ti in there before long.
RMX 750 would be plenty for the gpu that I suspect is acting as a placeholder?

4)Beware with the Gen 4 NVMe.
These devices need more active cooling than the previous models, otherwise the controller runs hot with little effort and throttles itself often, and there goes the any speed advantage it might've had...
Do not install it in the top slot, above the gpu - that's the worse place for it.
Consider the 980 non-Pro as an alternative.

1) Hey thanks for the quick reply! will definitely change the RAM in that case

2) I just got the iCUE7000 honestly because i am blessed to say for this purchase, money is not really any object - so i went with whatever was biggest to avoid finding out later i should have gotten something bigger

3) Should the GPU be placeholder? It's one i already own which i am going to move from this PC into that one, as i've been told GPU prices are ridiculous at the moment from a double threat of supply issues along with the crypto scene

4) I could always use the non-pro or an M.2 which Hellfire below recommended, but when you say active cooling, is there particular harddrive cooling hardware i've never heard of? or do you simply mean better cooling in the case in general, as i am installing as many Corsair AF120's as this thing can fit

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
This should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor | $559.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | $109.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $289.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Corsair MP600 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $364.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card |-
Case | Lian Li LANCOOL II-W ATX Mid Tower Case | $109.99 @ Adorama
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $129.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1714.89
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-01 00:56 EDT-0400 |

Thanks for the reply (and all the work you went through to set this up)

Sadly a few things like that particular Motherboard, and the Case are unobtainable unless the price becomes doubled, i live in Norway so none of these companies operate here, and the import taxes for foreign electronics is frustratingly ruinous

Was the motherboard i selected unfit for the build? or is simply the MSI MAG x750S better?

Thanks for the reply (and all the work you went through to set this up)

Sadly a few things like that particular Motherboard, and the Case are unobtainable unless the price becomes doubled, i live in Norway so none of these companies operate here, and the import taxes for foreign electronics is frustratingly ruinous

Was the motherboard i selected unfit for the build? or is simply the MSI MAG x750S better?
You never said nothing about Norway before. You partlist is in USD. What is your budget in 'kr"?
The Tomahawk is a better board.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2)Ah well, what's done is done.

3)IDK, I just assumed it was one, considering the size of the chassis and power supply.

4)I mean, it needs air to pass over it. It needs to be in a spot where air is guaranteed to pass over it, such as underneath the gpu.
Passive cooling, aka a heatsink, only does so much for them.
That location above the gpu is pretty much an airflow deadzone for them. It wasn't a problem before those Gen 4 NVMes came around...

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
2)Ah well, what's done is done.

3)IDK, I just assumed it was one, considering the size of the chassis and power supply.

4)I mean, it needs air to pass over it. It needs to be in a spot where air is guaranteed to pass over it, such as underneath the gpu.
Passive cooling, aka a heatsink, only does so much for them.
That location above the gpu is pretty much an airflow deadzone for them. It wasn't a problem before those Gen 4 NVMes came around...

Alright thank's a lot for the information! I'll get a case a size smaller and be mindful of the SSD location pro or otherwise, Below the GPU not above!

Thank you to you both!