PCU Usage hovering around 25% please help

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I have a very fast custom built PC with 8 GIGS of RAM however sometimes my CPU usage starts hovering around 25% even though there are no processes using memory in task manager. This is causing a problem when I try and play games it makes the games lag really bad. It seems like this happens randomly and usually goes away when I restart but now the restart doesn't work.. it's still doing it.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

I can't for the life of me find out what's causing this lag... it doesn't look like my AVG is running anything either.

Fletch206

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Like I said... I've looked through task manager already and there is nothing that jumps over 2% and yes it's showing all processes from all users.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You've got some software conflicting, I'm pretty sure. Could also be a bad driver. I had that happen to me a few years ago as well and couldn't positively figure it out either. But I seem to recall uninstalling software until I found the conflict and CPU went back down. (but I don't remember for sure)

leo2kp

Distinguished
You can sort your process by %CPU usage. If you have 4 processes at 2% each, there is your 8%. Just do it and find out where it's going. Then determine if you need those processes.