0SB0RN3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
i replaced a pII 233 with a 350. even after setting the dip multipliers to run 333 (66.6*5) the 350 underclocks to 233. the mobo is a GA-686LX. i reset the bios to no avail.

The PII 350 was the first PII to support 100MHz FSB. LX-based boards like the one you have aren't up to the task... a BX-based board would be what you need.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

0SB0RN3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
so i need to find a cpu that exactly fits the multiplier ratio of either 333 (66.6*5) or 366 (66.6*5.5)? my next question is why then would the manual say that it supports up to a 633mhz proc? the dips only accomodate 5.5x according to the man. erm, was there even a 633mhz pII? :)

G

Im not aware of any PII over 400 not even sure there is a 400mhz...The board *might* support the first pentium 3 that where still Slot1 and they went up to sometyhing like 666mhz....
Try to find the online manual that is mroe up to date...
On my Asus P2B-L(440bx), the manual would only list multiplier up to something like 5 altough by getting a more up to date manual of the net it ended up going much higher...

Good luck

pauldh

Illustrious
My gut feeling is that with a 440LX you are going to max out at a PII 333 or Celeron 333. And to use the celeron you have to check your retension mechanism. A SEPP Celeron won't pop into a SECC retention mechanism, but will in an SECCII or universal one. It was a pain in the neck, but I just bring it up to save you some trouble now instead of later. Best sticking to a SECC PII333. Starting at PII350, 400, 450 they are all 100bus. The PIII's were 100 bus and started at 450,500,550,600. But I wouldn't know if they would even run at a 66 bus on your board. It wouldn't be cost effective anyway. I'd say stick to the 233, buy a dirt cheap 333, or upgrade the motherboard. The 440BX was IMO the best chipset. But the LX was greatly lacking.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Slot 1 supports Pentium II processor running at 233-633 MHz.

Intel 440LX chipset, Support AGP / SDRAM / Ultra DMA/33 IDE / ACPI features.

Downloaded the manual just to verify what you were saying. LX-based motherboards only supported a FSB of 66MHz. You have to go with a BX-based board for 100MHz FSB support. Now, if the multiplier is high enough, you could put a Celeron CPU in... Celerons were also 66MHz FSB... though Celerons over 400MHz were socket 370, so you would need a socket adapter too.

However, it has to be a typo in the manual. As you point out, the highest multiplier is 5.5, which means the board is only capable of supporting a 366MHz processor.

After the PII 350, there was the 400 and then the 450... all sporting 100MHz FSB. (I think there was a PII 366 that supported 66MHz FSB) P3s started at 450MHz and went up from there. Celerons were all over the place, but still only supported 66MHz FSB... I can't remember if there ever were any 100MHz FSB Celerons before the P4.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

0SB0RN3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
MUST be a typo. makes no sense otherwise. slot 1 maxed out at 400mhz (deschutes). damn, i need that 440bx, 100mhz fsb support to run my 350 proc. oh well. :)

so my options are: buy a new mobo with bx chipset or find a 366mhz cpu.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 0SB0RN3 on 03/01/04 06:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fastest PII for you board was the 333. The Celeron 333 was often faster because it's miniscule 128k cache ran at full core speed. The fastest CPU you can probably run on that machine is the Celeron 533 based on the Mendicino core...but since many Celeron 533's were Coppermine and incompatable, I suggest a Celeron 500 to avoid confusion.

I've never seen a Celeron 500 Slot-1. The fastest Slot-1 Celeron I've seen was 400MHz.

All the old style Celerons had locked multiplier (overriding any BIOS limitations) and 66MHz bus.

A 500 on an old style Slot-1 adapter would be a good choice as well. I have a 366 with the adapter here if you're interested, but I'm not the cheapest source on the net.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, that's an awefull price though...

You you, you don't even need the newer kind of slotket that works with PIII's, since your board doesn't support them anyway, you could get the early Mendino Celeron versions that are nearly worthless and use one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

0SB0RN3

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
really? where do i find one of those? 11cb.com/ only has the pIII slocket. thankfully i haven't ordered the slocket yet. i did order the cpu (http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CEL633165).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 0SB0RN3 on 03/02/04 08:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gee, I don't know...some guy bought one of the early non-Coppermine-compatable parts a couple weeks ago...and found out it didn't work with his PIII, thought it was the board, I set him straight. Anyway, just look around. The newer ones support both (selectable by jumper) and generally cost around $10 (the one you showed is the most common). Older ones are actually worth around $6. Just search the net.