Ironchef3500

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Ok, we have a Poweredge 2400 server. Dual-proc capable, only has one it in now. Currently has a P3 1.0ghz 256kb, 133fsb and is SECC form. Does anyone know if I can put in a much cheaper, albeit exactly the same SECC2 P3? The only difference between the SECC and SECC2 that I can find is the thermal plate on the SECC. Same proc, same slot 1 design. Should it work????

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SECC2 coolers have 4 pins that stick through the CPU card, all the way to the back, where it's clipped. SECC uses no pins, but instead you can either screw it to 4 holes in the heat spreader or clip it to four rectangular slots.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, complete package meaning with SECC2 style cooler.

Some OLD boards used SECC "only" CPU stands, and had to be changed over to "Universal" stands to clip the thing in. But the CPU works even without clipping it down...it would however fall out if the machine was handled the slightest bit roughly.

You should have universal stands on your newer machine. If you need some, I'll sell you a pair for $5 including shipping (which is really $1.15 since priority mail is $3.85).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I take paypal. I'd be surprised if your brackets didn't have provisions for SECC2, but if they don't, just get back to the new, surprised Crashman.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
really you should use 2 cpus with the same stepping so check that. in all honesty if you ever plan to upgrade to 2 cpu's you should just get them both when u buy the server as now it may be hard to find the right processor.

Ironchef3500

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Well, if I purchase the identical P3 wouldnt the stepping be the same? It should be the same chip I thouhgt, just different style holder.