Performance differences, noticeable?

G

okay...

2-45GB IBM 75GXP Deskstars 7200RPM
VS
2-40GB Maxtor 5400 RPM

okay the going cost is 310 for the IBM's (total) and around 210 for the Maxtors.... I use my computer to play games, windows apps, watch movies, watch ripped movies/simpsons on the hard drive, etc... am I going to notice $100 worth of improvement by going with the IBM's? Or should I put the 100 dollars elsewhere?

thanks..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

To tell you the truth they both are really good hard drives. All I buy are Maxtor drives. I think IBM and Maxtor drives could go head to head with out very much performance difference. If you are looking at which one of the ones you have listed I would go with the IBM cause it is the fastest that you have there ...

I think if you had the Maxtor 40 gig 7200rpm ATA 100 drives listed there I would go with them. Those are really awesome drives ... Better yet I would go with Maxtors 60 gig 7200rpm drives! I think you are going to pay about the same with either drive ...

Lars Coleman
http://home.earthlink.net/~larscoleman

G

I mean, in a RAID-0 ARRAY am I going to notice a major perforance difference in the aforementioned setup? will I notice the difference between dual 5400 and dual 7200 based on what I use it for..

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
100$ is not that big difference! For that amount i would buy the IBM in a second!
Look, the IBM has 5 Gb more of space, this alone would tip the scale!
The IBM is 7200 rpm, way faster than the Maxtor´s 5400 rpm!
If you´re not convinced read all the reviews from TOM´s
and you will be!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

G

I understand that they will be faster, but will I notice the difference? I was told that unless I really taxed my system (multi-users, etc) that I wouldnt notice the higher RPM speed hard drives making a difference. Yes they ROCK, but would I notice the difference in everyday use to validate the use of it? Last night I bought 2-40 GB IBM hard drives at 5400 RPM's... I got them for 109 each...I would have paid 80 dollars more total, for the faster and extra 10 GB.... I dont think it would make a difference...

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Please understand that there are two seperate issues here.

1) Is there a difference? Yes, definatly. There is a significant difference. Secondly most 5400 rpm drives I have seen only have 512 cache buffer while the 7200 rpm drives have 2 meg. This alone will cause a performance hit.

2) Will you notice a difference....depends on what you are doing. You will see a difference in boot up and loading programs. After that depends on what you are doing.

It seems to me that seeing how you are going the route of using a raid array that speed is of an issue to you. With hthis in mind it would seem that the 7200 rpm drives would have been worth the extra cost.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

You would notice a difference in everything you do. Windows will load faster, programs load faster, save data faster, etc... As for the RAID 0, Striping, be very careful if you choose this option. This is not just like having two drives in series, but more a parallel, meaning that data will be split between them, not one filled, then the next. If you have one drive fail, you have lost all data because parts of data will be on each drive, like Windows installed on two drives, an MP3 file could be on two drives and you have no control over it. Stripe only setups should be used in a system only that has something to do a full drive backup.

G

I don't know about you, but I went from a Maxtor 6GB 5400 RPM to a Maxtor 20G 7200RPM and I saw a significant diffrence in speed in everything that I did. I would never go back to 7200.