leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
MSI PS63 8RC
32GB RAM
Intel i7-8565U
Win 10 1903

Was having persistent BSOD issue. Took it into store from which unit was purchased. They reinstalled Windows however that didn't fix the problem, so I was given a new unit under warranty, however this does the same. This leads me to suspect a software issue as the issue is encountered with both units, however Reliability History says it's a hardware issue. I've tried to go through the dump files and it would appear to be an issue with the USB eXtensible Host Controller (USBXHCI.sys). I disabled the controller in Device Manager but this hasn't helped.

Windows would appear to have deleted the minidumps?? They were there before.... I was running them through windbg. I'll attach the minidumps created next time the system blue screens before they... erm... vanish I guess.

Would appreciate if anyone could assist. @Colif @gardenman

Thanks

Solution
Hey all
Thanks for all your help in resolving the issue :) looks like it's finally running smoothly.
Found ASMedia XHCI drivers (unsure if latest or older) and after replacing whichever driver it was running previously, I'm yet to encounter a bluescreen in a couple days of use (hope I'm not jumping the gun in calling the issue resolved lol).
Obviously it was incompatible with the driver for the sound card for whatever reason. Real ah heck that win updates didn't update this ASMedia driver.
Again, thanks for all the help :) would still be scratching my head if it weren't for you guys helping to unearth the fault.
Thanks
Leo

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Here are a couple of reports from Security and Maintenance if that's anything. The latter says it's a hardware issue, which confuses me, given this is happening on the brand new unit too, and I'm sure MSI wouldn't be selling this model if every unit was bluescreening every 10 minutes...

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎9/‎18/‎2019 5:41 PM

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 133
Parameter 1: 0
Parameter 2: 501
Parameter 3: 500
Parameter 4: fffff803f5ce9378
OS version: 10_0_17134
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 0x133_DPC_USBXHCI!Isoch_Stage_MapIntoRing

--

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎9/‎18/‎2019 5:39 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 1023
Parameter 2: ffffef8030ce3870
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_17134
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x144_1023_USBXHCI!TelemetryData_CreateReport_VEN_1B21_DEV_2142_REV_00_FW_180827700240
Server information: 688e2193-f424-45e4-933c-f4633287c53b

Colif

Win 11 Master
seems your mentions didn't work. although i get lots a day and could be buried.

I would ask if you had latest bios except there is only 1 so I assume you do...
its not often I see a motherboard where there is only 1 driver for everything. Can tell its pretty new then.

Did you set system up for minidumps? its not an automatic process, it uses the memory.dmp file otherwise. If its not real big, you could give us that?

Try updating win 10 to 1903 - click 1st link here and download upgrade assistant , and run it- https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hi,
Here's memory.dmp. Let me know if it's all in tact as it's a copy since win wouldn't let me upload the original. Only a gig.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r4VGcpwZT6zrmewCCaWJ65U8xncyIrEr/view?usp=sharing

Yep, only had this particular unit for a day, so it is new

Minidumps are (or at least were) set up as I had gone through them with windbg not long ago. Don't know how where they've gone to haha

Already running 1903 (as I was on my old unit too).

Thank you for the reply :)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/es6P.html

File information:MEMORY.DMP (Sep 18 2019 - 01:40:08)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:USBXHCI.SYS (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Motherboard: MS-16S1

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hi,
Thank you. I'll wait for additional answers.
Is the "2 or more types of RAM are installed" comment relevant to the issue? I have upgraded the ram on the unit. Does that mean it's an issue with that?
Thanks again

Colif

Win 11 Master
most laptops end up with 2 different types of ram, unless you can take 1 stick out and buy a set, A lot of times you get 2 sticks from factory that don't match.
Gardenman's script always highlights that if it finds 2 types as it can be a cause.

is this a driver that comes with device?
Jun 26 2009synusb64.sysSuyin USB Webcam 64-bit driver (Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH.)
as 2009 is way out when it comes to being a win 10 driver

nika6usb.sys - Native INstruments Komplete Audio 6?
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/
thats whats crashing the PC
I assume you know what it is

it was causing same error 3 years ago - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/b27d17e9-3d2f-4267-b61b-d5dbdffbecfe?auth=1

its not the laptop, its the thing you plug into it. Explains why 2 new devices had same errors. I hate when peripherals are the problem, they are hardly ever thought of.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Onjt.html

File information:091919-25171-01.dmp (Sep 19 2019 - 00:47:04)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nika6usb.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

Cause of crash:
Apr 01 2015 nika6usb.sys Native Instruments Komplete Audio USB driver

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hi there
synusb64.sys is an anti-piracy licensing dongle for a program by Steinberg. Nothing at all to do with a webcam haha, I wonder why they name it that. I believe that driver is at its latest version. I’m very surprised that they haven’t updated it for 10 years...

That’s very interesting that it’s being caused by the Komplete Audio 6 driver. It is an audio interface running through USB. I believe the drivers for it are all at their latest version. Surprised they haven’t refreshed them since 2015.

So this looks like an issue with the driver for the interface but not an issue with the physical interface itself?
It surprises me that someone has had the issue 3 years ago but it’s obviously not an issue for every user of the interface, which is what makes me suspicious that it could be an issue with the hardware unit itself rather than he driver used by all units produced... could this be a possibility? Or is it a problem with the drive, not the hardware.

I’ll double check whether there are any newer drivers shortly.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I could be wrong but if it was hardware we would be getting other errors like WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) but it could be its showing via the driver not working

You are right, the only driver on website is November 2015 - you could try reinstalling it
Have you ever run the device updaters? latest of those was 2018
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
:/ still going
Another minidump, though probably not helpful or necessary to debug as I'm sure it won't tell us anything new.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1af8Gc1FmTclFKyaZMqthe9Q0eHmSVXqr/view?usp=sharing

What would you say next steps should be? I suspect that if I get in tough with Native Instruments support, they'll blame it on the laptop as the same driver works fine for many other users...

Thanks again for all the help

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/nTwa.html

File information:092119-10953-01.dmp (Sep 20 2019 - 21:57:27)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Cubase10.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
On the NI website, there are TWO versions of the product updater for Win listed.. The first time I tried to update my firmware, I just downloaded the higher number of the two (1.20, and 1.70)... WELL, it turns out that 1.70 updates the KA6 to version 37, but for some reason 1.20 updates the KA6 to firmware v48!! Once I figured this out, I was able to install the newest 4.20 drivers again and everything works (after a restart)- Windows playback, midi, device connection/recognition, and audio in/out.

So in conclusion, my particular problem was a firmware issue, keeping windows from communicating with the device if the latest (4.20) drivers were installed, where the hardware would HALF work with version 3.10 drivers, but not fully.

Thanks for the support. I will be copy/pasting our correspondence into the thread to help future users!!

-Aaron
https://support.native-instruments....-6-Driver-not-installing-on-Windows-10-en-us-

see if that helps, it explains the version number discrepancy you had

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hey all, @Colif
I've been back and forth with the manufacturers of the interface that appeared to be causing the crashes for the past couple months.. they've basically been saying 'nah, not us, it's an OS problem'. They've finally (reluctantly) agreed to take a look at the unit, but have guaranteed me they won't find any faults with the unit. Had teamviewer sessions with them etc. that haven't helped.
They've come back with theses, and say OS is to blame... different from the analysis in the debugs you've gone through (again, thanks for those rly appreciate it :) )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TCeSmAM8DYajLAaWhhFymbGKuXGy2t0w/view?usp=sharing
Any tips from you guys?
Thanks again

leo.schumacher37

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Followed the above steps (not sure if I've got latest drivers... struggled to find the max-q design drivers which are different to the standard gtx 1050 drivers as it turns out... eventually found them on the MSI website not NVIDIA and the tool that downloaded said there was a later version but didn't offer to download and when I search for updates in device manager it reckons I've already got latest drivers lol)
Bluescreening because of ntoskrnl.exe+1c14e0 now according to the tool Native Instruments gave me (as opposed to ntoskrnl.exe+1c1220 which had caused some bsods before as depicted in the previous picture). Yet to have one caused by the NVIDIA drivers.
The audio interface is certainly culpable to some degree as I only get the bluescreens when it's attached... hmm
Tips?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you share the dumps for the errors you still getting we can keep looking.

Slow reply: Ram upgrade - since errors only happen when 1 device attached and its not blaming random file names, I don't think its a ram problem

"The term Max-Q is borrowed from the aeronautics industry, where it refers to the maximum amount of aerodynamic stress an aircraft can sustain. In the world of graphics cards, it means the sweet spot between graphics performance and heat production. "

latest drivers on website are Jan 2019, probably are newer drivers since though its funny it recognised fact but hasn't got any newer. Have you tried running windows update?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/l1gO.html

File information:112719-13656-01.dmp (Nov 26 2019 - 22:31:44)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:112719-12234-01.dmp (Nov 26 2019 - 21:59:49)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

Probable crashing driver:
Apr 01 2015 nika6usb.sys Native Instruments Komplete Audio USB driver