Question Persistent PC Boot Issues After RAM Upgrade

Jul 14, 2024
I'm facing a strange issue with my PC. It all started after I added two more identical RAM sticks to what I already had. Initially, everything worked fine, but a few days later strange symptoms appeared. A DRAM light stays on and the PC can't get past the POST. After several attempts of turning it on and off, eventually the PC starts up, but it boots without detecting peripherals like mouse, keyboard, or network connection. After a few restarts, the peripherals start functioning normally.

I've removed the two extra RAM sticks and cleared the CMOS, but the issue persists. Over time, the problem worsened and now the PC doesn't get past the POST at all. I've tried clearing the CMOS again, reseating all components, and even updated the BIOS, but nothing has solved the problem. I also replaced the CMOS battery and tested the RAM slots individually, but with no success.

Currently, the PC only boots when the memory is in slots 1 and 3 (though it's not ideal), but the issue of booting without peripherals persists. If I try using slots 2 and 4 for the memory, the RAM light comes on and the PC won't boot at all.

Currently, I manage to get the PC to work, but the first boot of the day is difficult and usually requires multiple restarts for the peripherals to start responding normally. All drivers are up to date, and Windows was recently reinstalled on a new SSD.

I consulted two local PC repair shops. One suggested the issue might be with the processor, while the other mentioned the motherboard. However, neither conducted a comprehensive test, which would require leaving the PC with them for a few days (not feasible since I use the PC for work).

I'm frustrated as I've exhausted all solutions found in forums and nothing seems to fix the problem. If you have any ideas on what it could be, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Ryzen 5600G
B450 Aorus M Gigabyte
Redragon 500w 80 Plus gold
RTX 3060
2x 8gb Geil 3200
256gb SSD NVME

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Got a link to that PSU listed above?

RTX 3060
Got a link to that in case you're unaware of the model of the GPU?

B450 Aorus M Gigabyte
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power power button for 30secs then replace the battery after 30mins. See if that helps.

Jul 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Got a link to that PSU listed above?

RTX 3060
Got a link to that in case you're unaware of the model of the GPU?

B450 Aorus M Gigabyte
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

In order to clear your CMOS, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power power button for 30secs then replace the battery after 30mins. See if that helps.
PSU: https://www.redragon.com.br/rgps500w
RTX: https://br.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-GAMING-X-12G
MB BIOS F66 (03/22/2024)

Update: Yesterday and today the PC turned on after about 2 minutes (with the DRAM LED lit) but froze at the VGA LED. I restarted and it froze at the BOOT LED. After restarting two more times, it turned on normally. I have already disconnected everything, cleared the CMOS, and reconnected. Same behavior.