Phenom Recycled: Athlon X2 7000-Series

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalcrown

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]I apologize if I rrr[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]@sighQ2, not at all, you're not nagging. Just saying that unfortunately for AMD, changing the name doesent make it faster. Junk like this just makes me wanna buy an e8500 and be done with it.ut all of these cpu's.sigh[/citation]
[/citation]
seem like a nag. I just want truth about all of these cpu's.sigh[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]I apologize if I seem like a nag. I just want truth about all of these cpu's.sigh[/citation]
[/citation]

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
@ royalcrown
re
Cool. @sighQ@ those of use with 95 watt boards wont be ablreto pop in anything good from AMD, but this is MOBO manuf fault ! They oughtta swap them out for free for thinking that no one would want to use a top processor in a "regular board". Some of us car not about 300 dollar overclocking e-peens.

I hear you. IF you get a board with an SB750 south bridge, you will do well. good ones are giga, dfi, msi. etc. A good pow supply is important and will be in future. Some new denebs will be lower power. The AM3's will be back-compat, but at least an AM2+ BOARD is recommended. check the zone for more. out.

royalcrown

Distinguished
@ sighQ2, you're not being a nag, just that AMD is still a hell of a lot slowr and changing the name on it isn't gonna do jack. I may just buy a core 2 duo and be done with it next upgrade, or a quad when they come down and not have to put up with the excuses from AMD as to why they are not really slow.

royalcrown

Distinguished
@sigh..
I have an awesome board...a boistar t series. Just at the time the mobo manufactures just said compatible and did not mention that they cheaped out on the power circuitry until 780g boars started blowing mosf...mosfets...that burns me because I bought this in hopes of running the best deneb or whatever they have.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
AMD is changing a lot faster than you can type. Watch the reviews coming soon.

You can spin it any way you want, AMD is back. :)
Deneb will do 4 on air. ez

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I don't see the point of AMD making this dual core CPU out of the Phenom (1).If they came out with a dual core version of the Phenom II it would probably perform well and be worthwhile while also being a budget CPU.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I am not saying the new stuff will suck, just that the mobo manufactures shouldn't have cheaped out. Now I would have to buy a new board to run the really top end stuf and I may as well go with intel because i'm not gonna save any money by buying a new board wh. I don't see the phenom IIs really beating the c2d, or the quads for home use for the same price...They may almost catch up, which would be great !

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I don't see the point of AMD making this dual core CPU out of the Phenom (1).If they came out with a dual core version of the Phenom II it would probably perform well and be worthwhile while also being a budget CPU.[/citation]
The point of making this cpu is to reuse silicon that didn't pass the tests to become an X3 or X4 cpu. It's better to sell it cheap than not sell it at all.

Anyway, the be model does seem interesting to me. My backup gaming rig's got an old 2,2ghz x2 in it, and it could really do with a better cpu.

ps. I'd love to see an ignore list being implemented in this part of the forum. Dunno what this one's build on, but there is one readily available for php2bb based systems.

I cannot stand the thought of buying a CPU that is basically a leftover labotomized version of what was meant to be something else.
Reminds me of some of the old Intel SX CPU's, which really were DX CPU's with the math co-processor disabled.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]Also lose the synthetic benches - I do not run synthetic benches. And please try to avoid cherry picked benches that make intel look good.Also try to word things without the obvious slur against AMD.A brief review on this cpu here:Includes a cpu-z oclox to 3.3 Ghzhttp://www.amdzone.com/index.php/r [...] on-x2-7750[/citation]

I'm not the author on this one, Sigh. Nevertheless, I'm always happy to discuss the validity of tests and accuracy of reviews in the interest of improving the work that we do.

While I respect your enthusiasm for AMD's product lineup, announced and still under embargo, perhaps you'd like to re-read your string of comments and reevaluate whether your own perspective is objective or not before attacking someone else's assessment.

Thanks.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]I cannot stand the thought of buying a CPU that is basically a leftover labotomized version of what was meant to be something else. Reminds me of some of the old Intel SX CPU's, which really were DX CPU's with the math co-processor disabled.[/citation]

I used to have an sx-25 cpu ... I couldn't afford the dx. And I'm driving a 1.8 - not the 2.0 it should've been. For cost concious people it's not always such a bad choice to compromise a bit. Sure it doesn't feel like you're on the bleeding edge with those parts - but that's okay, cause you aren't.
This may be a 'leftover' from the soon-to-be-obsolete processors, but it's a leftover from amd's top tier. Ideal for the cost concious consumer. I wouldn't want one of those in my primary system, but if I were building a new system to replace my parents northwood based, I'm sure it would be considered, briefly before I would buy a pentium dualcore.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]blippo311[/nom]Here are some overclocking results: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/850/1/[/citation]
"The Athlon X2 7750 has 2 x 512MB of L2 Cache and 2MB shared of L3 Cache."
That article sais it's got 2GB of level 2 cache? cool ... hope it runs dualchannel :p

Oh well. Guess typos are all over the internet. Just like page one of this review sais there is a be and a 7750 (not 7550) and the 7450

mohnkhan

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I think you should post CPU clock speeds, along with model nos; its big big trouble to to google out every possible clock speed and decipher it.

Regards
mohnkhan

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]Also - in all results, it would be nice if all those cpu's could be listed with CLOCKSPEEDS rather than model numbers so that we could tell that the little AMD is clock for clock blowing the doors off the intel products. Perhaps I should be surprised that bigger model numbers are faster. You know, that, I would have guessed. In which case, you could have saved a lot of testing time.[/citation]
When the fastest at 2.7Ghz is shower than E6600 @ 2.4GHz, what more do you need to know?

[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]Cool. And you will be able to easily upgrade in a year or two by dropping in any DENEB cpu, whenever you feel like it. (DENEB has dual integrated memory controllers on the cpu for either ddr2 or ddr3 and socket AM3 is back-compatible[/citation]
DDR2 and DDR3 Deneb are different models with incompatible memory controller. If you buy a 7750 + 780G board, the fastest Deneb you can run is the DDR2 model which will be phased out once DDR3 become cheap enough.

[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]o THAT reminds meIn this test report, the power consumption figures are all meaningless because the intel cpu's require power from north bridge re memory controllers which, in AMD the mem controller is internal. So the intel scores are artificially low = add 15-20 watts to include mem controllers.More smoke and mirrors. You should have known that too. That's called something worse than bias.[/citation]
Tom’s provided a system power consumption graph and a CPU power consumption graph. I don’t know how they came up with the CPU graph but total system power consumption is easy to measure and not affected by memory controller design.

sighQ2, stop trying to confuse people; you sounded like AMD marketing department.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
AMD is going to have to get more aggressive on it's pricing / performance ratios. For the foreseeable future.. those who HAVE the extra money to drop on a desktop will drop it on intel products. Their x2 processors (top of the line)with 2 cores shouldn't be more $60 at retail chains / e-mortar stores. 4 cores *non enterprise/server* chips should top out at about $350-- with an aggressive time table for price reduction. That and futher cutting of ATI video card prices are possibly the only things that will lift AMD out of it's financial slump. Who cares that they put 4% performance ticks in new chips and up to 10% margin on overclocking.. saving the company money in the manufacturing process (read between the lines). Though, it will only add to their problems if stock sits a retailers shelves and doesn't move. So, hype it all you want, we're not seeing a good value for the money pre 2009. I'll wait until March or beyond and then reflect on these new products.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]sighQ2, stop trying to confuse people; you sounded like AMD marketing department.[/citation]

I don't agree! The AMD tech department might not be king right now, but their marketing is doing a really good job at trying to convince customers to buy their products. sighQ2 doesn't have that kind of effect, so the comparison isn't very good.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]Why did they bother releasing a CPU that is getting punked by the Conroe. I just don't get it.[/citation]
Read the comments before posting comments .... not that I always do that either, but the reason is explained earlier already.
They release it because it means they can sell a product that failed testing for phenon X4 branding instead of dumping it in the trash.
So basicly except for some marketing and shipping expenses it's free for them.

Viper5030

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Author forgot to point out at the end that even the Athlon X2 6000+ beats the new series in benchmarks.

I just got 2 X2 6000's for 65 bucks retail on Newegg (that's CPU + decent fan). Unless the 7000's come out at a starting price of $50, I don't know why anyone would buy.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Also - in all results, it would be nice if all those cpu's could be listed with CLOCKSPEEDS rather than model numbers so that we could tell that the little AMD is clock for clock blowing the doors off the intel products.

Maybe you need the INTEL CLOCKSPEEDS listed so that you would know what an idiot you sound like. The 2.7Ghz AMD 7750 gets beat in almost every benchmark by the 2.4Ghz E6600. Hell in alot of them the 2.13Ghz E6420 beats the highest clocked AMD. The only non-synthetic benches where AMD has any clock advantage is Mainconcept and Divx, and in those cases the 2.7Ghz AMD nearly ties with the 2.66Ghz Intel. Learn how to read a gragh, a$$hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.