zodiac949

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I've got an old 8400GS PCI laying around, and I kinda wanted to make use of it. Now I've been reading around a few forums, and I've come to find that people use older nvidia cards for running dedicated physx

My current video card is a BFG 9800gtx+ Factory OC

Would I be seeing a significant increase in performance if I went and did this?

If not... Are there any other uses for it? I'd hate to just leave it.

Thanks, zodiac

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
a lot of games support physics today. it might not give you a large performance increase, but it will make physics related things like ragdoll effect, explosions etc a lot nicer looking. also, an 8400GS would not fetch you anything if you were to sell it today, so there's no reason why you should not use it as a phyx card.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I thought You needed at least 8600 to use for PysX.

Anyway depends on game, I if the game does not have PhysX then obviously there will be no diffrence. If it does then it will not noticable difference on quad CPU because CPU has enough grunt to run PhysX on CPU.

On single or dual core CPU it might help to offload PhysX processing to GPU leaving more processing power for the rest of the game, but hthen again You can offload iot to main GPU if it is not taxed a 100%.

So Only scenario where it would be worth is if both GPU and CPU are heavily loaded or if You have ATI main GPU and second Nvidia GPU fotr PhysX but it will not work on Vista because it does not allow multiple GPU drivers and Nvidia has pulled support for it in new drivers for windows 7 if Your main GPU is not Nvidia and old drivers probably will not work good on W7

zodiac949

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Everything turned out all right. My BFG driver was able to pick up my PNY 8400GS, and I switched the physx over to it.

I read that nvidia gpu's that supported physx where 7, 8, 9 series - plus the fact that it worked anyway

The game I'm running is crysis, so yea, supports physx