[SOLVED] Ping Issue That I Cannot Understand

Mar 15, 2020
I have been having unusually high ping during the evenings once in a while these past two months. I am playing my games when all of a sudden my ping spikes up to 100-200 and won't go back down until a few hours.
When I run a speedtest, I have 2 ping on local servers, and when I check my ping on a further server, say Washington (I'm in South Carolina), my ping is around 80-90 which is completely normal for me. So why is it that my connection to every single game server (I test connection on at least 4 or 5) is terrible, but to normal servers ping is completely fine?
I do use a program called Haste to help lower/stabilize ping in my games, but even when I shut it down my ping goes up even higher, so I doubt it is the problem. This isn't an every night kind of issue, but tonight I am having it and cannot figure out what it is that I need to do to stop this from happening.
I am using a wired connection and have pretty decent internet, 614 upload 608 download.

Solution
this does not sound like a problem on your end. ping is dependent upon how fast the server on the other end responds as well as the network it uses to route the traffic.

more than likely what you are seeing is the game server at heavy load which is slowing it's response time to you. nothing really you can do from your end it the problem is on the other end.

you can try a different server if one is available but other than that, not much you can do. you're playing when everyone else is and the system does not seem to be able to handle all the traffic at once. i assume other times of the day the problem is not there. just during peak evening hours when everyone is home and ready to get their game on!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this does not sound like a problem on your end. ping is dependent upon how fast the server on the other end responds as well as the network it uses to route the traffic.

more than likely what you are seeing is the game server at heavy load which is slowing it's response time to you. nothing really you can do from your end it the problem is on the other end.

you can try a different server if one is available but other than that, not much you can do. you're playing when everyone else is and the system does not seem to be able to handle all the traffic at once. i assume other times of the day the problem is not there. just during peak evening hours when everyone is home and ready to get their game on!!!

Solution
Mar 15, 2020

Ok, good to hear. When I check haste I have high ping on every game available on there such as Fifa, Fortnite, Brawlhalla, and Team Fortress 2. These games are all heavily different in terms of popularity, so I just want to make sure that we are confident that this is most likely just an issue with all these games having a ton of people online at this time. If you believe that this is the case then thanks for your help, I have no more questions! :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm pretty confident this is the issue. sounds like you've done everything on your end you can do and can ping other servers very well. this can only point to the other end as the problem. the game itself may not be massively popular but if the server can handle 100 users and 150 try to log on, then you get issues. older games often see this as companies shift resources to the newer games that generate more income at the moment.

best test is to try at other times of the day. if your ping is solid then, you know for sure it's just a prime time rush problem.

Reactions: treedude