Aug 15, 2019
Hey guys I just built my first pc again after approximately 10 years of using laptops.

I have a question related to the placement of my GPU. I placed my GPU (ASUS AMD ROG Strix RX570 OC Edition 4GB GDDR5) in the second GPU slot, I did this because I needed the space near the first slot for cabling space (Connecting a CPU fan RGB connector to a 4-pin header). Since I have casing fans in the bottom of the chassis, my GPU is now placed really tightly above my 2 casing fans, there is little to no space between them, but to my understanding the fans do not clash. (Just for your reference, the fan manufacturer provides the details that the fans are spinning at a rate of +-1300rpm).

v49ovn.jpg

Shown above are my fans and GPU. I am positive that the fan blows air upwards as showcased by the arrows. However, I am uncertain whether the GPU fans blow upwards or downwards, but my logic is telling me that the GPU fans are also blowing air in the same direction.

Would this set up create issues for my PC? All temperature readings seems good, but i don't know how I can check the temperature for my GPU unit. Any suggestions? Thank you so much for your help! Good day.

Last edited:
Solution
What are the main disadvantages in terms of performance of running the card on a x4 slot?
This depends on particular game.
In some games performance difference between x16 and x4 mode can be close to none,
on other games it may be up to 20%.
This largely depends on graphics quality settings used. For example higher res textures would require more bandwidth and 1/4 of available bandwidth would significantly impact performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2G9MaXe3c

Ramlethal

Estimable
In my opinion it could be better, but its also definitly not a murderous intent. I mean, it is probable that you will get 1 or 2 degrees celcius Higher than in a properly distributed spaced rig. I wouldnt even bother in changing anything since it will demand you probably investing money on possible solutions like changing the case or investing in liquid cooling the GPU. So... Unless you notice a high performance loosage due to temperatures which i highly doubt... I think there will be no absolute problem. However you can still solve this by just inverting the fans by removing them and adding them back again in the opposite direction

What's the motherboard model name?

By placing graphics card in lower PCIE slot you're most likely limiting graphics card performance.
Usually only top PCIE x16 slot supports x16 mode, second x16 may support up to x8 mode.
Last slot could as well be only x4 .

Anyway - read motherboard user manual about recommended slots for gpu placement.

Aug 15, 2019
Hey guys thanks for the replies

In my opinion it could be better, but its also definitly not a murderous intent. I mean, it is probable that you will get 1 or 2 degrees celcius Higher than in a properly distributed spaced rig. I wouldnt even bother in changing anything since it will demand you probably investing money on possible solutions like changing the case or investing in liquid cooling the GPU. So... Unless you notice a high performance loosage due to temperatures which i highly doubt... I think there will be no absolute problem. However you can still solve this by just inverting the fans by removing them and adding them back again in the opposite direction

To my understanding the GPU fans blow into the cooler body, and my fans are blowing air into the same direction. I'm not quite sure why you want me to reverse the fans :D

What's the motherboard model name?

By placing graphics card in lower PCIE slot you're most likely limiting graphics card performance.
Usually only top PCIE x16 slot supports x16 mode, second x16 may support up to x8 mode.
Last slot could as well be only x4 .

Anyway - read motherboard user manual about recommended slots for gpu placement.

I'm running an AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard. Manufacturer spec info provides me with info below:

SLOTS:

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse)
- 2 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge)
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Picasso)
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x8 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*

• 2 x PCI Express 4.0 x1 Slots
  • Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (Key E), supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module
  • 15μ Gold Contact in VGA PCIe Slot (PCIE1)

Not sure which one's which though :sweatsmile:

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
Let the GPU breath by itself :(

If the temps are fine, then there's nothing to worry about. Anyway my eyes hurt after seeing this, is there anyway to unsee that?

I would suggest that you move your GPU to the primary slot for better performance. Run GPU-z to verify that you're actually running the card at x16.

Last edited:
SLOTS:
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Matisse)
- 2 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge)
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Picasso)
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x8 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*

Not sure which one's which though :sweatsmile:
Config depends on CPU used.
Here is the list of supported cpu models.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#CPU

So - lower x16 slot runs at x4 mode in all situations. You have to use upper x16 slot for your graphics card.

Reactions: crackz
Aug 15, 2019
Let the GPU breath by itself :(

If the temps are fine, then there's nothing to worry about. Anyway my eyes hurt after seeing this, is there anyway to unsee that?

I would suggest that you move your GPU to the primary slot for better performance. Run GPU-z to verify that you're actually running the card at x16.

2iqhgkg.jpg

7dk.png

Here are my temperature readings

Config depends on CPU used.
Here is the list of supported cpu models.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#CPU

So - lower x16 slot runs at x4 mode in all situations. You have to use upper x16 slot for your graphics card.

I am running this one

AM4 Ryzen 7 2700X(YD270XBGM88AF) 105W Pinnacle Ridge 3.7GHz 4MB B2

What are the main disadvantages in terms of performance of running the card on a x4 slot? I really want to be able to customize my CPU cooler RGB, and the cable wont fit if I put my GPU in the first slot. If there are significant performance differences i will ditch the RGB controls; I won't hinder the GPU from its full potential. Also gonna look for a shorter 9pin connector and see if I can find it

Last edited:
What are the main disadvantages in terms of performance of running the card on a x4 slot?
This depends on particular game.
In some games performance difference between x16 and x4 mode can be close to none,
on other games it may be up to 20%.
This largely depends on graphics quality settings used. For example higher res textures would require more bandwidth and 1/4 of available bandwidth would significantly impact performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2G9MaXe3c

Last edited:
Solution