Question Please Help, Games sttutering and FPS dropping for no aparent reason.

BlazeStryker

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
Hello,

Around 1 week ago my games began to stutter and freeze from time to time for no apparent reason, it has only been getting worse. The thing is, I did not change anything in my system and it played games just fine, (Games such as GTAV and Overwatch have been affected the most).
My current components:

AMSI B150M Pro vdh
Corsair LPX 2666Mhz 8GB
Intel i5 6600k
EVGA GTX1070 SC
Zotac 120GB SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Samsung HD105SI 1TB HDD

I suspect one of my HDD is dying, though the games are installed in the good health drive. Windows is installed in the SSD.
The only thing I am aware changed is that I updated the GPU driver through GeForce Experience, once I noticed the issue i rolled the driver back but the issue remained.

Please help me, I am going insane.

Jun 21, 2020
Hello,

Around 1 week ago my games began to stutter and freeze from time to time for no apparent reason, it has only been getting worse. The thing is, I did not change anything in my system and it played games just fine, (Games such as GTAV and Overwatch have been affected the most).
My current components:

AMSI B150M Pro vdh
Corsair LPX 2666Mhz 8GB
Intel i5 6600k
EVGA GTX1070 SC
Zotac 120GB SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Samsung HD105SI 1TB HDD

I suspect one of my HDD is dying, though the games are installed in the good health drive. Windows is installed in the SSD.
The only thing I am aware changed is that I updated the GPU driver through GeForce Experience, once I noticed the issue i rolled the driver back but the issue remained.

Please help me, I am going insane.
Hello sir!

Did you ever find the solution?

Sadly, I do not have one myself, but I have been experiencing the same issue seemingly. I wanted to bump the thread and see if it might garner more attention.

Best of luck to you!

BlazeStryker

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
Hello sir!

Did you ever find the solution?

Sadly, I do not have one myself, but I have been experiencing the same issue seemingly. I wanted to bump the thread and see if it might garner more attention.

Best of luck to you!

Hello, I did not get a solution, however, I did buy another 8GB RAM stick and the stuttering stopped. I assume the problem was that I was running out of RAM and the system was paginating on the dying HDD. This fixed the issue for me. I also found out that my motherboard sucks and is bottlenecking my RAM speeds which further fueled the problem.

Hope this helps you out.

Jun 21, 2020
Hello, I did not get a solution, however, I did buy another 8GB RAM stick and the stuttering stopped. I assume the problem was that I was running out of RAM and the system was paginating on the dying HDD. This fixed the issue for me. I also found out that my motherboard sucks and is bottlenecking my RAM speeds which further fueled the problem.

Hope this helps you out.
I appreciate your quick response. That was my thought too, that it was a memory issue. I figured after a couple years, I could go with an upgrade anyway, so I installed a new SSD after reading about how beneficial they are. Sadly, I can't say it really helped me much.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Most of all games, even old ones that I've played for years are now nearly unplayable. It's disappointing, to say the least.

I'm going to try and upgrade my video card next, and see if that helps anything. If not, a new one would be nice anyway, and could always be moved to a new machine.

I'm glad you've managed to mostly solve your issue, or at least find out what's causing it. Thank you again!

BlazeStryker

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
I appreciate your quick response. That was my thought too, that it was a memory issue. I figured after a couple years, I could go with an upgrade anyway, so I installed a new SSD after reading about how beneficial they are. Sadly, I can't say it really helped me much.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Most of all games, even old ones that I've played for years are now nearly unplayable. It's disappointing, to say the least.

I'm going to try and upgrade my video card next, and see if that helps anything. If not, a new one would be nice anyway, and could always be moved to a new machine.

I'm glad you've managed to mostly solve your issue, or at least find out what's causing it. Thank you again!

I noticed the email haha.
Well, to my experience SSDs are great for booting and loading speeds, though I don't think they have anything to do with the stuttering. What video card do you have? does it constantly have high FPS? In my case, I have a good enough GPU which helped me narrow the possible issues (given that it kept high FPS).
Also, check while gaming your Task Manager, I believe it's ok if your CPU is reaching high usage % (desirable), but in terms of RAM the least % is used the better.
In my case both RAM and CPU was incredibly high while gaming (95-100%).

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS