[SOLVED] Please help me decide on a graphics card!

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello everyone, I’m building my first PC and I can’t decide on a graphics card. My CPU is a Ryzen 2700x, so can someone give me insight and or just some details about making a choice, Im thinking of running a GeForce 1080 TI, 2070, or a 2080. Can someone help

Solution
Understandable, however, if you can afford the 2080, I think you'll be a lot happier than with the 2070 if you're looking for 150fps. Realize that average or maximum FPS are rather not as important as minimum FPS, because that's when you'll have tearing issues, especially if you are going to forego having a G-sync display that would be very helpful in that regard. Still, if you're willing to drop some settings, then any of these cards, as I said earlier, will be fine.
Are you planning to buy new or used? You can use pretty much any graphics card you want with that CPU without fear of an unbalanced configuration.

Much likely depends on your power supply. What is the exact model of your power supply?

Unless you plan to buy used, it's pretty unlikely you'll find any 1080 TI's for sale. Those have been out of stock at all online vendors for several months now.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah I would say it really depends on your monitor and the games you play, the graphics setting you want etc. More information about what you expect would help answer the question

You should get the best graphics card you can afford, a 2070 looks great for 1080p ultra and 1440p for now. A GTX2080 should be great for 1440p with maxed settings, I would be expecting Ray Tracing to work well with a 2080 and if you want to use Ray Tracing it's probably good idea to get a GSync monitor if reports are true that frame rates are as low as 40fps

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Are you planning to buy new or used? You can use pretty much any graphics card you want with that CPU without fear of an unbalanced configuration.

Much likely depends on your power supply. What is the exact model of your power supply?

Unless you plan to buy used, it's pretty unlikely you'll find any 1080 TI's for sale. Those have been out of stock at all online vendors for several months now.
I plan to buy new, my power supply is 850W, going overboard for upgrades along the way. I plan to play games at 1920x1080 at max (144Hz Monitor) so obviously any of these GPUs will provide. I'm leaning towards a 2070 or 2080 because I just don't have give or take $1,200 to spend on a 1080 Ti.

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah I would say it really depends on your monitor and the games you play, the graphics setting you want etc. More information about what you expect would help answer the question

You should get the best graphics card you can afford, a 2070 looks great for 1080p ultra and 1440p for now. A GTX2080 should be great for 1440p with maxed settings, I would be expecting Ray Tracing to work well with a 2080 and if you want to use Ray Tracing it's probably good idea to get a GSync monitor if reports are true that frame rates are as low as 40fps
I plan to play on 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor with maxed settings on medium hungry games like Fortnite, Apex, and other less demanding such as League of Legends, WoW, and CSGO. Currently a Gsync monitor is out of the question because of my current budget, I can't spend +$500 on a good Gsync monitor. Personally I'm leaning towards a 2070 or 2080, a 1080 Ti is just too expensive for being two years old. We will just have to see which one makes more monetary sense 2070 or 2080.

ANY of those cards will give you max settings performance at 1080p for 90% of games out there as long as you're not running ray traced.

As far as the power supply, I didn't ask what the wattage was, I asked what the model was. I could list fifty 850w power supply units that are being sold that I wouldn't trust to power an LED strip, much less an expensive graphics card and the rest of the system. So what is the EXACT model of the power supply? If you don't know, that's usually because it's something that was overlooked previously because somebody didn't realize it was the most important component in the whole build. You can find the model number ON the power supply specifications label which is ON the power supply on one of the four sides.

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
ANY of those cards will give you max settings performance at 1080p for 90% of games out there as long as you're not running ray traced.

As far as the power supply, I didn't ask what the wattage was, I asked what the model was. I could list fifty 850w power supply units that are being sold that I wouldn't trust to power an LED strip, much less an expensive graphics card and the rest of the system. So what is the EXACT model of the power supply? If you don't know, that's usually because it's something that was overlooked previously because somebody didn't realize it was the most important component in the whole build. You can find the model number ON the power supply specifications label which is ON the power supply on one of the four sides.
Ease up captain, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018 The model number is 220-G2-0850-XR. Thank you for your in-depth help, though I may add.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
If I we're you I'd be leaning towards a cheaper 2080 or a nice looking 2070, I think with both those card and what you want to play, when the 3000 series comes along you won't feel like you need to upgrade.

Once you've bought one of them I suggest forgetting all about hardware and enjoying your PC because something better always comes along so it's best not to worry about it

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
If I we're you I'd be leaning towards a cheaper 2080 or a nice looking 2070, I think with both those card and what you want to play, when the 3000 series comes along you won't feel like you need to upgrade.

Once you've bought one of them I suggest forgetting all about hardware and enjoying your PC because something better always comes along so it's best not to worry about it
I agree, each year better and better components come out. Thank you for your insight!

Reactions: Chrushop
You will be unlikely to achieve the frame rates you are targeting, even at 1080p, with an RTX 2070. It's performance is good, but expecting a minimum frame rate of 144fps is unrealistic on any moderately or highly demanding AAA titles. For less demanding titles, it would be no problem.

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
You will be unlikely to achieve the frame rates you are targeting, even at 1080p, with an RTX 2070. It's performance is good, but expecting a minimum frame rate of 144fps is unrealistic on any moderately or highly demanding AAA titles. For less demanding titles, it would be no problem.
I’m aware. Not looking to push 200fps at all. I don’t always play max settings either, some just aren’t needed or optimal. If I can get 150fps on max settings than that’s perfect for my case.

Understandable, however, if you can afford the 2080, I think you'll be a lot happier than with the 2070 if you're looking for 150fps. Realize that average or maximum FPS are rather not as important as minimum FPS, because that's when you'll have tearing issues, especially if you are going to forego having a G-sync display that would be very helpful in that regard. Still, if you're willing to drop some settings, then any of these cards, as I said earlier, will be fine.

Solution
Hello everyone, I’m building my first PC and I can’t decide on a graphics card. My CPU is a Ryzen 2700x, so can someone give me insight and or just some details about making a choice, Im thinking of running a GeForce 1080 TI, 2070, or a 2080. Can someone help

I would say 2070 would be your best bet as anything faster will be bottlenecked by your CPU at 1080P.

AMD doesn't make a CPU that can keep up with a GTX 1080Ti (RTX 2080) at 1080P.

Yeah, that's totally not true. Sorry.

I agree, as always, that core for core Intel still leads the pack, so any 6 core Intel CPU is going to outperform any 6 core AMD CPU, but to say AMD doesn't have a CPU that won't bottleneck a 1080 TI is ludicrous.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah don't turn this into a bottlenecking / CPU issue or topic. OP already choose his CPU and if you've watched 4 hours+ of benchmarks like me you'll know there is a not that big of a difference in the 8700k/9700k/9900k against a 2700X. Unless you want 350fps in CSGO instead of 300 right. Who cares. OP has made it clear they don't care about 150 fps or 200 for.

This should really be resolved now, OP will be happy with a 2070 and may be happier with a 2080.

Many people still run 970s and worse very happily so best not to enforce materialism on folk who just want to get the job done well enough

Yeah, 2700x will technically bottleneck something like a 2080, but at that point, you're already be pushing frame rates above the refresh rate of the monitor that OP says he wants. Obviously for high refresh rate gaming, Intel would have been better, but at this point a 2700x is perfectly fine if he already has it. About the graphics card specifically, I think a rtx 2080 would be the best bet as multiple people have already said. 2070 could probably get close if you don't mind sacrificing settings along the way for 1080p, but to be sure you reach the 144hz refresh rate for current FPS, a 2080 would definitely be able to max the games out and get 144 fps+ on max settings.

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Very true in that regard. I am looking into both a 2070 and 2080, If I can get a very nice 2080 for my price point I will, but I would rather buy a very good 2070, than a low end 2080.