[SOLVED] Please help, my PC turns on then off...

Jul 31, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means

Last edited:
Solution
After you follow all of the steps given above, to include a Malware scan using first Adwcleaner (right click & run as Administrator) then clean anything found, it's a fast scan. Then install Malwarebytes (free version, 14 day Premium Trial) & after updating, run a full (Custom) scan. Be sure to check the option to scan for rootkits.

Also, when removing the hardware from the computer for testing, did you remove and reseat the CPU? Sometimes these may not be seated perfectly & cause memory errors. As others has mentioned, it's best to build the PC on top of it's box when there's errors that can't be otherwise found & by that, this will mean removing & reinstalling every component, one by one. I always assemble as much of the PC as...
Jul 30, 2019
Hi,

This can be sometimes caused by the RAM sitting in the wrong slot? but can't tell you for sure....when building the PC did you keep yourself grounded? You didn't touch any of the components with static electricity?

Also, do you have a code on the motherboard when this is happening or do you have a speaker on the MB to see if it is giving any error codes?

Jul 31, 2019
Hi,

This can be sometimes caused by the RAM sitting in the wrong slot? but can't tell you for sure....when building the PC did you keep yourself grounded? You didn't touch any of the components with static electricity?

Also, do you have a code on the motherboard when this is happening or do you have a speaker on the MB to see if it is giving any error codes?

sorry, not sure what you mean by grounded....I don't remember getting zapped by static electricity while building the PC, and I made sure to not plug the power while building too.

I don't think i read on the manual for the mobo saying that the ram has to be inserted on a specific slot.

Where would I see a code on the motherboard? is there supposed to be a screen or something on it? I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite b450 mobo. I don't believe it has a speaker on the board, I use a USB powered speaker.

Jul 30, 2019
I see so your motherboard does not have an LCD for Error codes, when you purchase a case or in some instances a new Mobo they give you a MB speaker which is usually plugged in where the power/reset/HDD pins get placed on the motherboard. this would definitely shed some light on the issue if you were receiving an error code.

and if there were no zap that's always a bonus.

Unfortunately, I'm out of solid ideas for now... but if you manage to get an error code let me know ill be more than happy to help.

Internal PC Speaker for BIOS

Jul 31, 2019
I see so your motherboard does not have an LCD for Error codes, when you purchase a case or in some instances a new Mobo they give you a MB speaker which is usually plugged in where the power/reset/HDD pins get placed on the motherboard. this would definitely shed some light on the issue if you were receiving an error code.

and if there were no zap that's always a bonus.

Unfortunately, I'm out of solid ideas for now... but if you manage to get an error code let me know ill be more than happy to help.

Internal PC Speaker for BIOS
I searched my mobo manual and it doesn't say anything about error code or LCD. It seems to have the pin for MB speaker, but i don't think my case has the speaker cables to plug on the pins like it has for the switch, reset, and hard drive activity LED.

Jul 24, 2019
Troubleshooting starts now.

So first things first....take your motherboard and PSU out of the case. If you still have your motherboard box...that will become your test bench. Plug your RAM and PSU in only and power on.
You will need to short the power on pins with a metal screwdriver...non magnetic would be best.
You can boot into bios and see how long it stays on. After that...plug in your SSD/HDD and boot into windows. If all works...insert the GPU and boot up.

If everything works perfect out side the case...your case is the problem. Now...easy way for this would be replace all screws in the case that holds the motherboard in place. Build all back into the case and see how it goes. Normally fixes the issue....if not you would need to replace the case :).

Good luck.

Reactions: hmazuji
Jul 31, 2019
The specs of your system will get you more help.

The ram does matter
Your ram should be in the 2nd and 4th slots from the cpu.
In the link below from your manual
The 1st pic will show slot numbers
the 2nd shows proper ram configurations.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Shevd2P
I have one ram and it's on 4th slot from the cpu (slot DDR4_1) View: https://imgur.com/rWt8PKK

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I noticed something when the problem happens though; when it happens and turns off, it still has some light stay on on the mobo where there's the eagle
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs

not sure what that means....

Jul 31, 2019
Troubleshooting starts now.

So first things first....take your motherboard and PSU out of the case. If you still have your motherboard box...that will become your test bench. Plug your RAM and PSU in only and power on.
You will need to short the power on pins with a metal screwdriver...non magnetic would be best.
You can boot into bios and see how long it stays on. After that...plug in your SSD/HDD and boot into windows. If all works...insert the GPU and boot up.

If everything works perfect out side the case...your case is the problem. Now...easy way for this would be replace all screws in the case that holds the motherboard in place. Build all back into the case and see how it goes. Normally fixes the issue....if not you would need to replace the case :).

Good luck.

How many times do you think I should try turning on and off each time? with just RAM, Mobo, and PSU, and adding each components?

The thing is, with everything assembled, it does boot very well like 4/5 times on average, but it can boot well even 10 times in a row at times. It's random and intermittent. I can't see it work once or twice and assume it works well with just those components like it would be possible when it doesn't boot at all.

Hi,

Have you checked if there are virus in your PC?

Aug 1, 2019
appinventiv.com
Test your power supply. Just because your computer came on for a few moments doesn't mean that the power supply unit in your computer is working properly. In my experience, the power supply tends to cause more problems than any other piece of hardware and is very often the cause of a computer turning off by itself.

Reactions: cat1092
Jul 31, 2019
Test your power supply. Just because your computer came on for a few moments doesn't mean that the power supply unit in your computer is working properly. In my experience, the power supply tends to cause more problems than any other piece of hardware and is very often the cause of a computer turning off by itself.

I already changed my power supply and still the same symptom.

Jul 31, 2019
Its definitely the ram slots, i had such a issue a few years back with a gigabyte motherboard, one ram slot had issues, so gave it for warranty and they repaired the slots.
I tried changing moving the ram to a different slot (slot 1 -> slot 2) and waiting to see if it still has the problem. So far so good...

francis.kalots123

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
If you have not tried it yet. Try different ram or Maybe your PSU is not giving enough electricty to some of components. Try taking off your gpu and booting through intigrated graphics. I had similar issue and I changed ram everything was ok. And r u geting any error codes?

TRENDING THREADS