Question PLEASE HELP Random Low FPS rx580

Jul 29, 2019
I recently upgraded to an rx580 4gb Nitro+ (used) from an HD 4850 and noticed that in a lot of games my FPS will be very low. I have it paired with a new fx8350 overclocked at 4.5GHz (previously an Athlon ii x3 425) and am certain it's not a bottleneck as GPU usage is always 100% and cpu usage is usually low. Also, 8GB of ram and a 550W Enermax Triathlor Power Supply. Motherboard is 990xa-ud3 Rev 3.0 and it's updated to the latest version (excluding a beta version which doesn't seem necessary?)

I've already tried many suggestions, such as a DDU clean installation, older drivers, fresh OS installation, turning off game bar and mode, chill settings but the problem persists.

The game I've tested the most for troubleshooting is Resident Evil 7, and here's what I noticed is happening currently:

When I first get into game, at highest settings and 1080p, FPS is completely fine at 100+, and gpu temps only reach 64 degrees max. However, when I change from SSAO to HBAO+ in the settings whilst still in game, the FPS drops to around 60fps and there's a lot of stuttering. If I then change it back to SSAO, the FPS doesn't change back and stays low permanently until I restart the game. However, sometimes even after a restart I get the same problem. It's so random as to whether performance is normal or not and no matter what I try the problem eventually returns :

Also, MSI Afterburner and Radeon Overlay both show a low power usage by the GPU at the same time as when the FPS is low.

** I also noticed underperforming in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so it's not just RE7. **

This is my first time posting a forum online for help, so sorry if I forgot to include any information. Hope someone can help, cause I've really ran out of ideas.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Yes well welcome to the RX 580 RX 590 erratic performance club. I'm not sure what to recommend as I've tried a dozen different things myself and am still working on it with an RMA in progress.

In my particular case erratic performance is associated with dual screens. I can say that because my RX 590 seems to work well on a single screen. But these cards are spec'd to operate multiple screens. I have not found a solution. What I have found is that it is a repeatable malfunction if I pay attention to how many monitors I'm running.

You may not know it, but screens have drivers too. Go into devices on windows and find monitors and let windows update your monitor (right click). If it says PnP then your monitor is using Windows drivers so right click on it and see if it gets drivers and bestows a brand name on your monitor. I'm not saying this is a fix. It is a thing you can try.

If the next RMA round does not lead to dependable performance I'm probably going to stick the card upstairs in the extra computer and use my old gpu till I get a good price on an NVIDIA.

If you do a search on "RX 580 problems" "RX 580 crashes" or "RX 580 defective" you will get quite a bit of reading material.

Right now I'm using my R9-380 which is solid as a rock on the same build which sends a Nitro RX 590 crashing (and a Radeon 580 too).

Reactions: harryshan5
Jul 29, 2019
Yes well welcome to the RX 580 RX 590 erratic performance club. I'm not sure what to recommend as I've tried a dozen different things myself and am still working on it with an RMA in progress.

In my particular case erratic performance is associated with dual screens. I can say that because my RX 590 seems to work well on a single screen. But these cards are spec'd to operate multiple screens. I have not found a solution. What I have found is that it is a repeatable malfunction if I pay attention to how many monitors I'm running.

You may not know it, but screens have drivers too. Go into devices on windows and find monitors and let windows update your monitor (right click). If it says PnP then your monitor is using Windows drivers so right click on it and see if it gets drivers and bestows a brand name on your monitor. I'm not saying this is a fix. It is a thing you can try.

If the next RMA round does not lead to dependable performance I'm probably going to stick the card upstairs in the extra computer and use my old gpu till I get a good price on an NVIDIA.

If you do a search on "RX 580 problems" "RX 580 crashes" or "RX 580 defective" you will get quite a bit of reading material.

Right now I'm using my R9-380 which is solid as a rock on the same build which sends a Nitro RX 590 crashing (and a Radeon 580 too).
Thanks for the quick reply!

I never even thought about checking monitor drivers, but as you said, turns out I did have the Generic Windows driver installed. Just updated it now, hopefully it’ll make an difference.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply!

I never even thought about checking monitor drivers, but as you said, turns out I did have the Generic Windows driver installed. Just updated it now, hopefully it’ll make an difference.

If it does please come back and let me know. My Nitro RX 590 is under RMA but they're just going to send another back. It would be revolutionary if something this easy was in fact "the answer." I'm very skeptical, though. I think the windows drivers are pretty good which is why you never hear anyone talking about monitor drivers. Greg N

Jul 29, 2019
If it does please come back and let me know. My Nitro RX 590 is under RMA but they're just going to send another back. It would be revolutionary if something this easy was in fact "the answer." I'm very skeptical, though. I think the windows drivers are pretty good which is why you never hear anyone talking about monitor drivers. Greg N
Doesn’t seem like it’s fixed it, unfortunately :( However, I’ve done a bit more digging online and am going to try completely disabling automatic driver updates through Group Policy Editor as well as regedit. I already did it the ‘regular’ way, but i think windows is still eventually installing the basic drivers which may be causing the problem. I’ll let you know how it goes...

Jul 29, 2019
Just a thought, maybe try maxing out the power and temperature limit on MSI Afterburner? This could also perhaps be a problem on the card's BIOS, so maybe look for a custom BIOS for the card.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve already set those settings in MSI Afterburner, as well as in Radeon settings, but it didn’t work. As for a custom bios, I know nothing about how that works yet, but i’ll look into it. So far the bios is one of the things I haven’t really touched yet, because it doesn’t seem to have any options related to the graphics card, so maybe you’re right and it is at fault.

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so after reading other online forums and messing around with Regedit and Local Group Policy settings to disable various automatic driver installation features, then doing yet another fresh driver install, I think it's performing normally now... Benchmarks in Shadow of the Tomb Raider finally seem comparable to other people's. The problem in Resident Evil 7 is still there, but I'm hoping now that that's just an issue related with the game and if I leave the settings alone it'll be fine.

Another thing I did do, was opening CMD as admin and typing:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

as well as typing:

SFC /SCANNOW

as suggested by another forum I came across with similar problems and also on the AMD website to fix an error I had during driver installation.

Thanks for the help gn842a and Shektron, much appreciated. If the problem starts again, I'll try a custom BIOS.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
My 2c is it should not be this hard to get a gpu to work. It should be able to run through these benchmarks with its defaults. I don't mean run through them with highest possible scores, for that you do your preferred fine tuning. But it shouldn't crash every time a 3D benchmark rears its head. It takes no special tuning to get it to run upstairs on my other pc.....

Anyhow I've pretty much made up my mind to try an NVIDIA. I'm 99% sure that when the RMA comes back with another RX 590 Nitro it's going to be deja vu all over again.

I think Radeon is just going to try to push through the 500 level designs and hope that no one notices that 25% of their units don't work reliably. Maybe their future releases will do better. Certainly their past designs were reliable.

Greg N

Reactions: harryshan5